• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does right vs. Left handed Link matter?

Link should be...

• Right handed.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Left handed.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Whatever the game calls for.

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters
I like that a lot of links are left handed as a trait since it adds to the character but in the end it really doesn't matter. So if the game decides or needs him to be right handed then so be it.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I've always been a fan of left-handed Link. Having read the book "Zelda and Philosophy", I've come to look at Link in a different way than when I started playing. There have been multiple instances of various Nintendo names saying alternately, "Link is a character" and, "Link is the player" so I find support a bit lacking when one says it's one way or the other. Seeing Link entirely as an avatar for myself and also as entirely his own entity, I feel that Link is at once completely objective and also completely subjective. Link, as a character in a story, is a contiguous entity, and is to be observed from a 3rd person perspective as a persona to be experienced as a whole and complete person. Link, as an avatar for the player, is a conduit through which the player channels him/herself to experience the narrative from an insider point of view. In this way, Link is what we want and need him to be. Link is both of these things and as an objective character, is whole and justified unto himself. As a subjective avatar, Link is the player himself in the narrative. I think to harmonize these too, we must submit to Nintendo's narrative in each individual story for each iteration of the character and not allow their choice to damage Link's aspect as an avatar simply because his character within the narrative changes hand orientations.

It doesn't really matter, but if I could choose I would make him left handed most of the time. It's just one Link's classic quirks.

Not at all, at least not unless there's motion sensors in play.

I wasn't even aware that Link was left-handed the first few times I played Zelda - and was only made aware by people complaining about stuff like this. That's how little it matters to me.

I'd also like to point out that unless it's a direct sequel, no two Links are the exact same person, so having some differences are expected, even if they are reincarnations and all of that.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
You realise they performed the same trick as with TP on the wii right?

But theorists that use this as a point of argument ONLY mention TP and not OoT3D. I question the inclusion of one alternate version but not the other.

He has got to be left handed! He has always been that way, and it is an essential part of who he is. To change his handedness is to change a fundamental part of the character himself. So much so that a right handed Link is no longer even the real Link but a pale imitation.
So you're saying Link from SS, Wii version TP, and BotW just don't count? I line left handed better, but the change is only relative to gameplay, so I don't see how it can completely remove a game from the equation.

The only justifiable timeline placement with Link's handedness is if it were the same Link as in SS. His design is similar so it wouldn't surprise me, but the beaten up Temple of Time and the Koroks make it hard to believe that it would be the same Link. Other than that argument I fail to see how it could place it anywhere because all other Links have been left handed (mirrored games don't count).

Personally I prefer Link being left handed as it's conventional at this point but whatever.

I prefer right, but I never really cared. Whem I am playing, I am not checking to see what hand his sword is in.

Though it could be a plot element to determine a certain incarnation of Link. I will say I believe Twilight Princess to be a canon lefty as both the Game Cube and WiiU version have him as left handed. The official artwork for the game shows he is left handed as well, which pretty much seals that.

I personally prefer left handed Link. I believe that it was very unique they made him left handed because most main characters do not use their left hand.

I personally prefer left handed Link. I believe that it was very unique they made him left handed because most main characters do not use their left hand.

Umm, I think you mean they aren't left-handed, even right-handed people do use their left hand. It doesn't just flop there uselessly.

Anyhow, sure it's a quirk and it's that leftie representation and all that, but as far as change goes handedness is so small compared to other things they can do; I mean, maybe I'm the weird one here but I really don't get why so many people fixate on the handedness of the character - I kinda forget that, actually while I'm playing a game, or even in real life. Despite having a class with a certain teacher for 3 terms when my class was out to buy him a gift mug we couldn't actually recall if he was left-handed or right-handed.

And, as stated before, even if they share a name - and possibly character design - most Links aren't actually the same person, and given more defining character traits like eye color or hair color can change between iterations I don't see why handedness needs to be the same.

As an extra, I'd like to ask you guys how many times in your life was handedness used in an introduction or description (of yourself or another person).

My point is, I think putting any emphasis on Link's handedness is not justified means of placing anything in any timeline. What do you think, does it mean anything that Link is right handed in some games?

I think the reason some people take into consideration handedness in the timeline is because it seems like this may be a specific Link that was in the Shrine of Resurrection, not just another incarnation. In general though, it doesn't really matter. Only the specific situation surrounding Links mysterious past in this game make it relevant at all.

While it was cool to have a left-handed protagonist (as a lefty, I dig it!), playing skyward and twilight in a right-handed way was fine. Since most game controllers feature the stick for left hand use, the motion control design made sense for me. Left handedness for those games would've thrown off most of the core gamer base of righties and even most lefties like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom