• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Does OoT Suck? Sequilitis Discussion

Braivety

FPT | Breb
For those of you who don't know, Egoraptor is a Youtuber that animates, does Game Grumps, and occasionally other stuff like Sequilitis, which discusses games and their sequals and why they suck or why they were awesome, etc. Recently he did a video on A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, and he made his opinion on Ocarina of Time very clear (and Skyward Sword briefly). And although I loved the game when I played the first time, having watched this made sense as to why trying to play through more than once was boring, repetitive, and I never really finished any more than my first play-through. This case being even more apparent having seen the video and trying again. I want to know what people's opinions on this are and I'll even put the videos link here if you haven't seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOC3vixnj_0&list=PLu5a9-aw8CA_xRgSUtUjcEem6d_cJk9Mx

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
It was on her quite a while back i believe but meh i have no issues with it going i just don't want the arguing between the fans and the other fans ^^

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's just an opinion. Many see Ocarina of Time as the pinnacle of not just this series, but gaming entirely. Just for that label, it attracts controversy. Not necessarily polarising views, I'm sure every fan of the series appreciates it in some form, but others see it as "overrated". That word alone irks me. It got its praise for a reason, if did a lot to redefine gaming at that point in time. Even if you look ten years from now, this game will still be relevant to some degree. You can't erase what it did for its time and that's why I rate this game very highly.

Do I rate it the best Zelda game? No, in fact it comes 3rd. It's not some untouchable masterpiece; it has its flaws like all games. The story is rather basic and safe, it sticks to the conventional formula with no deviations, and it's compact world doesn't really allow a lot of exploring. I see it as the Goldilocks of the series. What I mean by that, is that it's like the standard. It's not way out there and it's not too bare either. It has a nice balance of everything that makes a good Zelda game. It's the perfect template to which to build a future game off and I think it will always remain that way.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I really dont think he was trying to claim that OoT sucked. You have to admit its a good and funny video. He made valid points most of the time, but i think some of his rants were more for entertainment purposes. This thread was just up about a month ago. So i dont see this one lasting long. But this video gets brought up a lot, and it causes a lot of discussion between us fans. While i agree with a lot of the video, i think he was sometimes harsh on OoT.

You have to understand that some of us, are retro junkies, stuck in our time. I am with him a lot, that i sometimes dont like the way video games have changed. which is why i like ALBW so much. Its old school. some of us are just like that. Either way, you just have to understand this video is an opinion, and not fact!

I see Ocarina of Time only as what it is: the first attempt at taking the Zelda formula and making it work in three dimensions. It accomplished its goal, and that's definitely not a small feat. Ocarina of Time will forever stand as a milestone in gaming history, having lit the way for all future 3D adventure games (perhaps even 3D games in general).

But, as a Zelda game, there are currently sixteen other main-series games to compare it to, and when doing that I can't say I find Ocarina of Time to be all that compelling. The overworld is empty and bland, the dungeons are easy and seemingly-uninspired (bar, perhaps, Jabu-Jabu's Belly, the Water Temple, and the Spirit Temple), and the story is unremarkable. Comparing it to the likes of Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds, games which are full to bursting with creativity and good design, I don't think Ocarina of Time amounts to anything more than a typical 3D Zelda game. It's important, definitely, but dated and has been surpassed by every 3D Zelda following it.

As for the Sequelitis video, I don't think he meant to imply Ocarina of Time sucks, just that it has a lot of shortcomings. He made a lot of good points, but I'd've preferred he picked one idea to focus on and flesh out as much as possible. The transition from 2D to 3D, the relationship between combat and environment, the conflict between an emphasis on exploration and story-based restrictions -- these all would have made for really interesting videos on their own. I think he tried to cover too much ground in one video and as a result was unable to properly present his thoughts.

Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
But, as a Zelda game, there are currently sixteen other main-series games to compare it to, and when doing that I can't say I find Ocarina of Time to be all that compelling. The overworld is empty and bland, the dungeons are easy and seemingly-uninspired (bar, perhaps, Jabu-Jabu's Belly, the Water Temple, and the Spirit Temple), and the story is unremarkable. Comparing it to the likes of Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds, games which are full to bursting with creativity and good design, I don't think Ocarina of Time amounts to anything more than a typical 3D Zelda game. It's important, definitely, but dated and has been surpassed by every 3D Zelda following it.

Haha, and cue angry replies in 3.....2....1.....

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Bare in mind the reason the story line and plot elements seems so mundane is that OOT was the first 3D Zelda game they likely didn't want to go full out on a plot and story and all the rest and watch it flop so they went with a plot and story and basic elements they knew was widely accepted. The fact is OOT is literally nothing more than 3D A Link To The Past. We have the same number of pendants and spiritual stone and well as maidens and Medallions. Heck even the 3 medallions from ALTTP were remade into the three magic spells we all know and love in OOT.

My point is it was the First Zelda game in 3D and they didn't want to go overboard lest people hated it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Bare in mind the reason the story line and plot elements seems so mundane is that OOT was the first 3D Zelda game they likely didn't want to go full out on a plot and story and all the rest and watch it flop so they went with a plot and story and basic elements they knew was widely accepted. The fact is OOT is literally nothing more than 3D A Link To The Past. We have the same number of pendants and spiritual stone and well as maidens and Medallions. Heck even the 3 medallions from ALTTP were remade into the three magic spells we all know and love in OOT.

My point is it was the First Zelda game in 3D and they didn't want to go overboard lest people hated it.

They played it safe by making the game linear to a degree. So yes I agree with you and others. OoT was great when it first came out, it can be argued all 3 dimensional games after it still used it as a sort of template of how a game can be good. (JC was right on the money) Although like JC said, its not so good that nothing is better than it, OoT had flaws, just as every game has flaws, there can never be a “perfect” game. That being said OoT still has influence, and it still will in the future, the Zelda series in general influenced many games, without it gaming would be totally different, maybe not as good.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
This will always be a matter of opinion. Many people like OoT also because of the great memories they have from the time it was released and when they played it for the first time. It's like a treasure for them. The guy never said it sucked. He makes very good points and is simply explaining them. "It would be like if you wanna kill a bunch of ants in your house by stomping on them but instead of doing that you're putting a slingshot on them individually." Gotta be my favorite :D Also the point he makes about waiting is so spot on. Especially in the end when you have to fight these Stalfos on your way down and you only got a limited time. So yeah he is just pointing out the flaws but not saying the game sucks.

n64

I love Egoraptor videos, but I disagree with him on this one. All the points he made were valid, but... there's just something about Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask that the games released before it just didn't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom