• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Nolstalgia Matter to You?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well, when it comes to older games, nostalgia definitely does play a part, remembering the joy of the game back when it was new and exciting. I think that's why I love replaying old mario games from my childhood, but haven't yet been able to play through the first Zelda's. It's not because the first Zelda's were bad games, quite the opposite, but I never grew up with them. I never got into them when the technology was new, and now when I have the choice to play any of the games released, I can't say I have the same desire to play the older games, as I would had I had the nostalgic connection to them.

It's the same thing with movies, some movies you love because you grew up with them, maybe there's bad voiceovers, or overacting or other elements that would put you off were you watching the movie for the first time now, but because you grew up watching them back when you were too young to detect the things that would now put you off, they don't annoy you the same way. Like for me, I hate dubbing, I always prefer to watch in the original language, but some movies I grew up watching were dubbed and I just can't imagine them not being dubbed, because that's what I'm used to with them.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh it absolutely plays a factor. In my case I often replay games and remember when I first play the game and yes I get nostalgic about it. It depends on how old a game is or how much time I spent on it. But yeah for me it is a bigt factor in replaying a game

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Yes. Nostalgia holds a special place in my heart. The memories I have of playing video games can sometimes affect how I feel about them; I doubt I'd be replaying some of my old GameCube games, otherwise.

Of course nostalgia makes me replay games.
Normally I don't replay games when they get older because I know the graphics and such could be better which totally annoys me.
But when the game has any nostalgic value to me, I don't care in the least how it looks. I love playing it anyway.

Dan

Well after completing Spyro the dragon for the PS1 today I can easily say yes it does. It also activates hidden memories sometimes. I could remember a School play from it (Yes don't ask wtf that has to do with spyro my mind is straaaaaange soda)

Link8150

The 8150th Link
Although I do hold my nostalgia back when making lists of what I think the best games are, nostalgia does matter to me. Every time I hear the intro music from Ocarina of Time or Super Mario 64 memories of my childhood overwhelm me and I remember that video games can take you to amazing places.

Nostalgia means loads to me. I've lost count how many times i've played Super mario world and ALTTP. Grew up playing those games, its what makes them my favourite ^_^

I love playing a game for Nostalgia. Especially, older games. I love when a game has that feeling and you get to re-experience it all over again and remember why you loved that game.

nostalgia feels wonderful, its a very deep reservoir that can be so easily tapped into. It can be a wonderful feeling but I does get out of hand when i try to form new opinions on games and movies when years have elapsed and things have moved on. Its tricky to look beyond sometimes.

It does, Its a main reason why i will play older games! However it is certainly not enough as the game also has to be good :) So many films/games i have remembered being outstanding and all nostalgia for them and then once experiencing them again later am like meh :P

Not really. If I replay a game, it's just because I really enjoy it. Sure, I have fond memories of some games, but nostalgia never really enters into my reasons for replaying a game.

I've always enjoyed it, but it's not like I'll only play a game because of it. Video games with nostalgia are always just that much better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom