• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Link have parents?

Well, it was Link's Grandmother in WW, and would hold true for PH... But it would be interesting to see what kind of influence a more involved, deeper sense of family would affect Link's journeys..

Well, I don't know how a deeper sense of family would affect Zelda, because it's always been him going of on his own, or with a helper, and if he had close family that would change it quite a bit. I'm not sure if it would change it in a good way or not.

Well for MC that was his father that he was living with.

No, I'm almost definite that he lives with his Grandfather in MC.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked and, in MC, when you get the Smith's sword it says "you got the Smith's sword! This sturdy sword was forged by your Grandfather".

Last edited:
E

ebuch

I think it would be a good change to see how Link's parents and friends would react to him going on dangerous voyages. To see if they would encourage him, and give him support (not traveling with him), or if they do what they can to try and keep him from danger (but he goes anyways).

Leix

Error
I think it would be a good change to see how Link's parents and friends would react to him going on dangerous voyages. To see if they would encourage him, and give him support (not traveling with him), or if they do what they can to try and keep him from danger (but he goes anyways).

Yeah, but we've seen a small portion of that in some of the more recent games. WW you've got the whole Outset island cheering for you, and in TP you've got that group of kids, Telma, and such.

E

ebuch

Yeah, but we've seen a small portion of that in some of the more recent games. WW you've got the whole Outset island cheering for you, and in TP you've got that group of kids, Telma, and such.
They all took a role in some of the side-plots, like Link saving his sister, or Link saving Ilia. Telma did have a little more to do with the overall plot, but she still did not know about Midna or anything. In WW, the people waving goodbye were cheering Link on to save his sister, not to save the world from Ganondorf. The kids in TP were cheering Link on to save Ilia, not to save the world from Ganondorf/Zant.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
Basically, Link suffers from the usual "Chosen Hero Orphan" plot devise. Most modern retelling of legends off the parents for either drama or to give the child a reason to learn to live on his/her own, or both.

So, if you live in a fantasy world, and some oracle tells you that your child is destined for great things, put your affairs in order FAST.

Nah. He didn't have to be injured. I mean he probably did die, but Link had the Triforce, and did wish for everything to be back to normal. So I do believe he died, but was brought back to life.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
Basically, Link suffers from the usual "Chosen Hero Orphan" plot devise. Most modern retelling of legends off the parents for either drama or to give the child a reason to learn to live on his/her own, or both.

So, if you live in a fantasy world, and some oracle tells you that your child is destined for great things, put your affairs in order FAST.

6. Single Parent Rule

RPG characters with two living parents are almost unheard of. As a general rule, male characters will only have a mother, and female characters will only have a father. The missing parent either vanished mysteriously and traumatically several years ago or is never referred to at all. Frequently the main character's surviving parent will also meet an awkward end just after the story begins, thus freeing him of inconvenient filial obligations.

Not quite the same rule but similar.

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

A

Arkwright

In OOT, I think that Link's mother had left Link in the Kokiri Forest so that he could be safe. When the Deku Tree is telling this story, you see Ganondorf riding his dark horse through fire... I think that this was an implication that Ganondorf had killed Link's mother.

Maybe Link's mother was the Queen of Hyrule? Maybe Zelda was Link's Sister? I dunno ;)

K

Kat :3

I have always been playing by the fact that Link is Zelda's brother *confused*
I always found it gross when I saw fan images of ZeldaXLink *points at* Incest! :3
My Theory:
Their mother; when she escaped from Hyrule Castle and she was about to die, she went to Kokiri Forest asked the Deku tree to protect Link (Zelda was in Impa's care) Link; never knew Zelda, carried on to be the hero. Impa; forgot about the past. Zelda; No comment.

Chris

It has been awhile...
In OOT, his mother was the one I believe who took Link to the forest to protect him, and I believe she died because Hylians can't live in the Kokiri Forest. (Minus Link, who was under the Deku Tree's protection). And I recall that Link's father was killed in the Great War.

In ALttP, the man he lives with is his uncle. I can't remember who it is in MC.

You know, there are so many little details that it is amazing if you can figure it all out. I think you are a really intellegent member. Also, you are right, Link didn't die because he was protected by the Great Deku Tree.

In OOT, his mother was the one I believe who took Link to the forest to protect him, and I believe she died because Hylians can't live in the Kokiri Forest. (Minus Link, who was under the Deku Tree's protection). And I recall that Link's father was killed in the Great War.

In ALttP, the man he lives with is his uncle. I can't remember who it is in MC.

Indeed. But would it be unreasonable to speculate that Link's mother was escaping, leaving Hyrule Town? Say, that there was a war going on during the time, and Link's father was killed in the war.

However, what if Link's father wasn't killed in a battle, per se, but in the Castle Town, where the family was possibly living. Wouldn't it only make sense for a knight and his family to live near the castle?

Moreover, it mentions something about, "keeping the knights line true", on the pedestal of the master sword. This would conclude why Link had the destiny he did.
From here I would speculate that Link's mother escaped from Castle Town to the one place she new was safe, the forest, and because the Deku Tree knew Link's destiny, he accepted Link into the forest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom