• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Link have parents?

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
What about Links parents?

Hello. I have some questions for anyone who believe he (or she) can help me. What do we know about Links parents? I believe the deku tree in OoT said something about his mother. Did she die? What about his father? Who is he (the father) supposed to be? What about the men he lives with in Alttp and MC? What is his connection to them?

linkman8

True and Noble
In OOT, his mother was the one I believe who took Link to the forest to protect him, and I believe she died because Hylians can't live in the Kokiri Forest. (Minus Link, who was under the Deku Tree's protection). And I recall that Link's father was killed in the Great War.

In ALttP, the man he lives with is his uncle. I can't remember who it is in MC.

Leix

Error
Link dosen't NEED parents.
Maybe he was created by the Goddesses, and left on the Uncle's doorstep. And a letter was forged so the Uncle would think that he recieved the kid from his brother.

Wind Waker link is the only actual exception, because he isn't related to any of the other Links according to the King of Red Lions. Maybe WW's parents drowned or something. Or got lost at sea.

In the actual Ocarina of Time storyline, the Deku Tree mentions Link's mother bringing him to the forest to save him because the Great War was going on. She had been injured in some way during the war and died shortly after she had dropped him off at the forest.

As for his dad, I'm pretty sure the only place it made reference to him was in the manga or comic of OoT. He was portrayed as a Hylian Knight who was killed during the Great War.

All other Zelda games don't really give any reference to Link's actual parents, as he is seen living with other relatives...(uncle, grandmother, grandfather) My belief is that we have the original Link, the Hero of Time, who is supposidly the first Link of all the other generations of Link throughout the series. (aside from those who believe MC to take place even before OoT) But anyway, according to the storylines of the games, each generation of Link is from the same bloodline as the Hero of Time, or the previous Link.....Which would mean that his parents, or father at least, was also from this same bloodline but was not destined to save Hyrule or wherever the place was at the time, or just wasnt destined to be a Hero at all. So, they become irrelevant to the story, and to avoid confusion in people thinking that Link's dad was another Link, they just let him live with another relative.

Last edited:
P

proctorFFVII

In ALTTP that's his uncle. In MC it's either his uncle or grandfather. In the ALTTP manga it is said that Aignim killed Link's parents when he was a baby. Link then went to live with his uncle.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
in alttp he lived with his uncle until he died didn't he?

Did he die the uncle? Or did you save him ;)

And I want to thank you ALL for very interesting information. Thank you!!
(Unfortunately I do not know where to get the Zelda manga, would be very fun to read!)

Last edited:

Mehplep

Simply awesome
Did he die the uncle? Or did you save him ;)
I believe the credits say that he was saved and was regaining his health, but I'm not entirely sure if it's the same in the Japanese version.

And I want to thank you ALL for very interesting information. Thank you!!
(Unfortunately I do not know where to get the Zelda manga, would be very fun to read!)

We have the most mangas on ZeldaDungeon.net in the manga section, feel free to read any of the mangas.

MajoraKing12

Perfect Harmony
Well for MC that was his father that he was living with.And for OoT his parents might of died.Or Link was fallen for the heavens and was also be came the chossen one and he got raised by the people.

E

ebuch

Well, it was Link's Grandmother in WW, and would hold true for PH... But it would be interesting to see what kind of influence a more involved, deeper sense of family would affect Link's journeys..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom