• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Link Have a Personality?

FlatxSharp

Music to last through the ages
My ex (heh heh) and I got in this massive debate (Still going on) about whether (sp?) or not Link has a personality. I say he does. I think everything he does shows a personality. Example, in TP, the way he closed doors. He was careless, and totally uninterested. That was his personality.

My ex claimed that because he doesn't talk, (I find this untrue also) he can't have a personality...

...So if you're a mute, you are personality-less. Sorry. :(

And, he pointed out that Link does what he's told. That's it. He doesn't think for himself...

(Midna: NO! LINK! STOP HER!
Link: *Stands there, watching.*) :dry:

But, my ex is a HUGE video game freak. I just love Zelda, he loves Zelda and everything else.

I am starting to doubt myself, and I don't like it!

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Dogs don't talk, but they have a personality. So that blows his first argument out of the water.

And regarding Link only doing what he's told and not thinking for himself ..... All the games have optional sidequests that he can choose to do even though doing them has no bearing on his main quest. That constitutes thinking for himself. And since a lot of these sidequests involve helping out others, it shows he's caring. Caring is a trait, which is the make up a personality.

So you win, your ex is wrong. :)

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
i think that Link has his own personality (especially in the newer games) he has his own feelings there (like in TWW when he is going off on Tetra's ship at the start of the game he is sad to leave)

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Link definitely has a personality, maybe not entirely fleshed out but he has one. He's also not a mute just because we never hear him talk (in TP, when Link visits Bo for the boots, you see Link open his mouth and make gestures that clearly indicate he is explaining the situation). In most of the more recent games, the cutscenes also show other personality traits he has, through his actions and emotions. He is obviously a caring person, always risking his life for his companions, and we also see that he's often rather rash (running off a cliff after Aryll, jumping aboard a haunted ship after Tetra, racing after a group of Bulbin bandits after Colin and Ilia, etc...). The oldest games couldn't show as much character development as the newer ones, since dialogue was shorter back then and facial expressions static. Even in OoT and TP Link was still rather flat, his expressions usually limited to calm, determined, and shock. But with games like WW and TP where his actions are clearly defined and his expressions vivid and clear, we can see that he definitely does have distinct personality traits if not a full character.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Link has too much personality in him. Take a look at all the 3D Zelda games. Everytime Link gets a rupee or a new item, he has a smile on his face. He loves money, and you can't love without personality. Link likes being rewarded, and he seems to like being flirted with, as shown in TWW with the Fairy Queen. If that isn't personality, I don't know what is.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Link does have a personality. If he didn't have a personality, I don't think he would show some of the emotions that he shows in the games. He always seems willing to help in the best way that he can. Link doesn't need to talk to show that he is just a life full of character.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Okay, so maybe Link does not talk, at least not in WW. But he did cry out in pain and made other sounds with his mouth if I recall correctly. Not being able to talk doesn't mean you don't have a personality. I could be the quiet type and totally have a personality, like act mean all the time, silly, shy, etc. So yeah, of course Link has a personality, you can see it in the movements he performs and how he behaves.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Of course he does, if he didn't then why would his facial expressions change during certain situations?
Lacking a personality would literally mean that he'd never express anything. No sound when he got hurt/fell, no change in expression during cut-scenes, ect.
He smiles, he looks determined; in a sense he looked baffled completely when Telma got her chest up in his face.

Not speaking does not equal a lack of a personality. If it did then everyone with social phobia and the like would thereby be lacking one.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Was playing around in TP just yesterday... at least there, I can tell you that he definitely *does* have a personality. It's subtle, in his facial expressions. Upon clearly meeting Ooccoo, he clearly thinks she's a freak. He gets looks of surprise and wonder whenever he encounters anything new. When he must tell Mayor Bo that Ilia wasn't among the children in Kakariko, he gets this stressed, angry look... showing his concern for the whole mess. He obviously has the "heroic" personality to leap into danger. Characters speak of his bravery and also of his kindness. TP Link strikes me as determined and responsible - just in the way he carries himself, with his faces and with the way the NPCs interact with him and talk about him.

In Wind Waker, his facical expressions and the sounds he makes give me the feeling of an energetic little kid. Plus, like TP Link, there are things he does do on his own independent of the player. It doesn't matter if *you* don't like Aryll and don't want to save her, *he* does.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask... less facial expression capablity, but I get a feel for his character in the ways the NPCs react to him. Also, I think the mangas shed some light on the subject - he's nicely fleshed out in those.

Link.... is always going to have that kind, helpful hero personality - because it's what he is, no matter the personality of the player. You could be the most selfish thing in the world, but when you're playing Legend of Zelda, your "Link" to the world is always going to be a rather selfless hero.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Also, it fits to say that you, as Link's guide or controller, can do just about anything with him, and it would also kind of affect his personality. In WW, for instance, I remember going into some rich guy's house and started breaking all the jars, which got the gentleman angry and charged Link for the damage. Not only did Link look like a fool to the man thanks to my actions, but it also shows that I gave Link a trouble-maker's personality by doing that.

I think that on the GC and Wii, Link has facial expressions, so he must have some sort of base feelings. But, he has no choice on wether or not to save Zelda or not. He has to do it. But like someone else said (can't remember who), he can choose to do side quests, minigames, and other stuff. He can do this for fun, but in the game I do it just for upgrades and rupees. Also, it's very odd that he can't speak, yet he can read.

In the manga, he talks, and has feelings, though.

I think that on the GC and Wii, Link has facial expressions, so he must have some sort of base feelings. But, he has no choice on wether or not to save Zelda or not. He has to do it. But like someone else said (can't remember who), he can choose to do side quests, minigames, and other stuff. He can do this for fun, but in the game I do it just for upgrades and rupees. Also, it's very odd that he can't speak, yet he can read. :hmm:

In the manga, he talks, and has feelings, though. :)

Nepolink

Corrupted Idiot
Sure he have, you don't need to talk to reveal an personality. And it shall be pretty strange if i hear link talking in a game.
In every Zelda game Link has an heroic personality, he's not afraid of anything that's on his path, he help everyone out.
Link's personality is helpful, he really enjoys to help people out and he have a lot of gust to save the whole world from the evil.

Alright i like Toon Link from The Wind waker then and all the other Toon style games. Link's facial expressions are just epic and really show off his silly sometimes.

And about the Link in TP with Zelda and Minda there, what could Link do? It was Zelda's choice.

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
I'd say it depends on which Link. Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, possibly Majora's Mask and the ds titles I'd say yes. In the 2d games it's harder to tell. But even though he's not very colorful in those games, his personality is to be heroic, and reflects the personality of the player.
I'd say he does have personality in the other games I mentioned though, especially Wind Waker. And I've found if you watch Twilight Princess Link during the cutscenes he does some interesting and often amusing things.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Some Links show more personality than others. The most expressive Link would be Toon Link.
You can visibly tell when he's upset or happy or scared.
Example:
content

However, when it comes to, say TP Link or OoT Link, it's harder to tell.
But, either way, I don't think they gave Link as much personality as they could because Link is essentially you.
He's your "link" to the game, so to speak.
If Link was bursting with personality, he would be his own person, meaning that he wouldn't be you anymore and you might not be able to connect with him as much.
This probably also why Link has a lack of dialogue.
That's my two bits anyway, feel free to disagree if you see fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom