• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Does Link Have a Last Name? and if Not, Why Not?

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Most if not all of the Links are not directly related, so it would not be likely that any of the Links would have the same last name.

Also, where is it state that Ganondorf's last name is Dragmire? Axle questioned this once, so I'm curious.

Most if not all of the Links are not directly related, so it would not be likely that any of the Links would have the same last name.

Also, where is it state that Ganondorf's last name is Dragmire? Axle questioned this once, so I'm curious.

It's been a while since I brushed up on my Zelda lore, but I believe that such a name might have sprung from a potentially non-canon source. From my understanding, the surname was given to him by Nintendo of America; however, it can only been seen in the Western instruction manual for A Link to the Past, and it never appears in the game itself. Fortunately, this is the only time the name appears in the series, and it has been absent in every subsequent remake of ALttP. So from this, it is safe to assume that the surname was either never picked up to begin with, or has been dropped from [NoA] canon. Either way, I refuse to accept that bilge as his last name, as it sounds ridiculous as hell. It doesn't even sound 'Gerudo-ish.' Leave to 'Murrica to royally screw something up.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Link always seems to be an orphan. If he has a last name, we just don't know it.
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

I'm currently working on a headcanon where I give all the Skyloftians last names, including the OCs used in Stormy Skies. Maiden names included for the females who have kids and husbands, or used to and are apparently widows(Pipit's mom). The thing with Link is, either one of the nuns at the orphanage gave him her last name, the main one who raised him, or they knew what his mom's last name was and used that. Because another part of my headcanon is that his mother didn't want him("lady of the evening" perhaps...)and his father is unknown. Of course Zelda gets that last name, so does the Zelink offspring, and since they're the first royal family, they get a second last name, Hyrule.

If anyone's interested, I can show them...

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Nah I don't think Link has a last name. I feel like each individual Link has their own little surname titles you know? Like TP Link would be Link the Ordonian or Link the Rancher and OoT Link would be Link the fairy boy or Link the forest boy. ALBW Link would be Link the Blacksmith's apprentice. You get the picture

Most of them technically don't even have first names, when you pick their names at the beginning of the game you can also have their unwritten last names sealed somewhere in your mind.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
Keep in mind that the idea of everyone having last names is kind of a recent thing, and by no means is it universal. In the medival era, which is what the Zeldaverse is mostly based off of, only the noble classes would go by any kind of surname or family name. The peasant class didn't have last names, but they would probably say "I'm Will the Thatcher" or "Greg the Cooper". Then later on the "the" gets taken out and boom, last name. Other times people may say "Bill from Gloucester" or "Leonardo of Vinci". Yeah, Leonardo did not have a last name. "Davinci" is Italian for "Of Vinci". They didn't feel the need to specify unless there was more than one person with the same given name.

I imagine if Link had to introduce himself and he had to specify he'd say "I'm Link from/of Kokiri Forest/Ordon/Outset/Skyloft/Hyrule or state his title if he has one, like being a blacksmith's apprentice, knight in training, or perhaps Hero of Time?

So that's why last names aren't a big deal in the Zeldaverse.

Link doesn't have a last name because in the original Zelda for NES link was going to time travel and he was the 'link' between both timezones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom