• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does it really matter that Splatoon 2 is so similar to the original?

The issue here is that the connection cuts out for no explicable reason. My connection is not the problem, it's either the servers or others losing their connection ("Disconnected due to team. Returning to lobby"), forcing everyone out of the lobby. So clearly this does happen frequently in Spla2n. In some way or another, almost everything ties back to having to reach some stupid level gap in order to so much as view a certain new feature. 8 matches to look at a better gun or a spankin' hat? I've been lucky to get 3 under my belt. It's like the game expects you to play the game, without letting you play the game.

Did you seriously just look at the title and return to posting? Lol. They do a good job of summarizing the faults, satirical or not.

No, this isn't anything like jumping from OoT to MM. Not at all. But that's good to know. Might even keep it long enough to complete the campaign. It's just a shame that everything else is questionable. New maps/weapons doesn't equate to a fresher experience; if anything Splatoon 2 just feels like an expansion to the original.

CoD etc dont change much either

And i guess nintendo figured not enough people played the original to warrant major changes

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
The issue here is that the connection cuts out for no explicable reason. My connection is not the problem, it's either the servers or others losing their connection ("Disconnected due to team. Returning to lobby"), forcing everyone out of the lobby. So clearly this does happen frequently in Spla2n.
It's possible that you're being intentionally set up with other players with bad internet connection, either because yours is also bad, or because no one with a bad internet connection can get past the bottom levels, and is therefore just a byproduct of this part of the game regardless of your level. The game matches players with similar play experiences; it's definitely something you'll notice when playing ranked for the first time at C-. All of the faulty-connection players are at the bottom.

A way to tell whether its you or other players: If the connection problem is your fault, everyone except one other player will appear to disconnect for about 30 seconds before you're booted out. If the connection problem is someone else, only they will be booted out. At least in my experience.

If it isn't just your connection, it'll get better as you raise your level and rank. Sorry to hear your Splatoon 2 problems.

Last edited:
Splatoon on Wii U was a unique and enjoyable game for the system, so how do you top that? The answer is you don't, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Other than adding new Gear, Weapons and Specials, there's really not that much you can do to Splatoon to make it better than the last apart from playing it slightly differently, Like the case with Splatoon 2 and it's new Salmon Run. It's a completely different mode to Turf Wars, but the gameplay is basically the same.

I'm not particularly bothered by the fact the two games are very similar because they are both on different consoles and have had at least 2 years apart from each other so that the new title seems more fresher. It's not like CoD where it releases every year on the same console and gets stale pretty quickly. Splatoon only has 2 games under it's name and I think for the time being (in regards to the sales of Splatoon 2) fans are satisfied with the series as a whole, but that may not be the case forever.

@Spirit

Have you heard anyone say "I loved SPlatoon but Splatoon 2 is too similar to the first so I will not buy it for the Switch I already own"?

Me neither. I've only heard the opposite. Every Splatoon fan I know totally wanted the 2nd game.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
It is in fact very similar, but that never stopped CoD or Halo fans. It didn't even stop Oracle fans from buying the "second" game.

They certainly made turf war much more frantic. The matches are closer than ever, the kills are all over the place, and the rollers and brushes are way too OP in the game (for killing).

I'm not really a ranked battler, so I don't go there much, but they've made some nice minor adjustments there too.

Salmon Run however, takes the gold for me. At first play, I was disappointed that it wasn't just Zombies mode (Ya know, where you just kill and survive for as many waves as you can), but after playing a bit, I found that Salmon Run is MORE fun than Zombies mode.

Despite it only being 3 rounds, once you get to Profreshonal rank, you start losing about 50% of the time, and it gets crazy intense.

I'd buy the game if it was exactly the same, but added Salmon Run to the mix. It's like when people buy games remastered.

Splatoon 2 is a remake (with a little extra content added in) by another name. No different in this regard to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Does this matter? Not at all. Both games, S2 ans MK8D both sold very well. Owners fo the originals bought the new versions and the large number of people who never owned the originals get to finally enjoy the games.

I owned a WiiU but never bought either game. I however have bought both on Switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom