• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does It Matter Which You Played First?

Which did you do?

• I played OoT first; I liked OoT better than TP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I played OoT first; I liked TP better than OoT

• I played TP first; I liked TP better than OoT

• I played TP first; I liked OoT better than TP

• I played them at the same time; I liked OoT better than TP

• I played them at the same time; I liked TP better than OoT

• Total voters

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I played TP first.

My opinion on which one is better changed a lot. The first time I picked up OoT, I had a hard time getting into it. TP was more modern and had more fluid controls (I'm a fan of motion control), and OoT's older graphics and clunky aiming with items like the slingshot really bothered me for a while. The controls actually hindered my enjoyment of OoT for much of the first half of the game actually. TP was my first 3D Zelda game, really my first 3D adventure game, and the scope of the overworld and novelty of playing action-adventure in this kind of overworld gave me the same thrill that I imagine a lot of retro gamers had when OoT first came out. That being the case, my first time playing OoT felt like a step backwards in many regards. Everything I was doing in OoT felt like a dated version of what I had done in TP, which made OoT feel less impressive than it would be to an unbiased player.

Over time though, and after more experience with the series as a whole, I started to dislike TP because I started comparing TP's flaws to other Zelda games, namely the linearity, the item overload, and the problematic plotline, among others. I lost much of my original discomfort with OoT's controls, which made the game more enjoyable, but since my first impression of OoT was in comparison to TP (my favorite game at the time of playing due to the novelty), I don't think I'll ever like OoT as much as I could.

Due to the fact that I kept comparing the games to each other, the fact that I played TP first did matter in that it created an unimpressive first impression of OoT. Given how much I grew to dislike TP though, I realize the only reason I ever liked it as much as I did was because of the novelty of playing my first game of the genre. If I played OoT first, I would have attributed all the novelty I felt in TP to OoT instead. The novelty factor is why I think playing games in a certain order can affect how much a player enjoys them. Granted that may just be me.

Ihave played a lot of TP and its very poor in terms of music and no cutscenes from what i have seem.
TP had a lot of cutscenes actually. That was one area about TP that I still greatly enjoy. The cinematics in TP may not be my favorite of the series, but they had their own charm that I think surpasses OoT's.

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
I like TP over OoT because, i was actually introduced to zelda by it(well actually by PH, but i REALLY got into The Legend of Zelda thanks to TP). Though im SURE OoT is better than TP.I love both games.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
Played Ocarina of Time first, and like it better. Though, Twilight Princess has my favorite dungeon, item and one of my favorite bosses. Arbiter's Grounds, Spinner, Stallord, I think that whole dungeon was very well put together. TP was only a little under Ocarina of Time for me, until the ending. Ganondorf's random appearance made the game less than it could have been if Zant had been the main antagonist. It seemed like Ganondorf's appearance was more of a fanservice than thought out. I consider Zant my final antagonist from TP. So yeah, Ganondor's random appearance dropped the game to the bottom of my list of Zelda games, though the actual battle with Ganondorf was fun.

I played TP first.

My opinion on which one is better changed a lot. The first time I picked up OoT, I had a hard time getting into it. TP was more modern and had more fluid controls (I'm a fan of motion control), and OoT's older graphics and clunky aiming with items like the slingshot really bothered me for a while. The controls actually hindered my enjoyment of OoT for much of the first half of the game actually. TP was my first 3D Zelda game, really my first 3D adventure game, and the scope of the overworld and novelty of playing action-adventure in this kind of overworld gave me the same thrill that I imagine a lot of retro gamers had when OoT first came out. That being the case, my first time playing OoT felt like a step backwards in many regards. Everything I was doing in OoT felt like a dated version of what I had done in TP, which made OoT feel less impressive than it would be to an unbiased player.

Over time though, and after more experience with the series as a whole, I started to dislike TP because I started comparing TP's flaws to other Zelda games, namely the linearity, the item overload, and the problematic plotline, among others. I lost much of my original discomfort with OoT's controls, which made the game more enjoyable, but since my first impression of OoT was in comparison to TP (my favorite game at the time of playing due to the novelty), I don't think I'll ever like OoT as much as I could.

Due to the fact that I kept comparing the games to each other, the fact that I played TP first did matter in that it created an unimpressive first impression of OoT. Given how much I grew to dislike TP though, I realize the only reason I ever liked it as much as I did was because of the novelty of playing my first game of the genre. If I played OoT first, I would have attributed all the novelty I felt in TP to OoT instead. The novelty factor is why I think playing games in a certain order can affect how much a player enjoys them. Granted that may just be me.

TP had a lot of cutscenes actually. That was one area about TP that I still greatly enjoy. The cinematics in TP may not be my favorite of the series, but they had their own charm that I think surpasses OoT's.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for letting me know that mate.
Thing is im not a fan of the motion controller.
I find it very awkward.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im far more happy with the controller for OoT.
I have been using these sort of controllers since the Nes came out.
I also never liked the idea of becoming a Wolf,or any other animal etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess we all have our own oinions and there is no harm in that.
And i prefer the older graphics of OoT than the graphics of TP.

And in OoT i feel a real emotional connection with its characters,in TP i just do not feel this.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I played OoT first; I liked TP better than OoT.

I get that Ocarina of Time was a really popular game, critically acclaimed, blah blah blah...
But Twilight Princess was just... better. I mean, the plot was more in-depth, the concept around the game was great, and overall it was just epic. I mean, everything has flaws, and Twilight Princess is no exception, but the game was just better than Ocarina of Time.

^^
To further explain what i put:
I LOVE OCarina of Time, and i always will. But, Twilight Princess was just overall a great game. The graphics were better, the controls (on both the Wii and Gamecube) were better than OoT's, and i loved how the game felt. It was very dark, much like Majora's Mask, and i really liked the vibe it sent. Ocarina of Time was good back then, and it's amazing on the 3DS, but overall, Twilight Princess still owns my heart. :lol:

I agree with this, the cutscenes in Twilight Princess were phenomenal, they definitely surpass Ocarina of Time's cutscenes by a mile (and a half! :lol: Inside joke...)

I played OoT first, and like them equally in sightly different ways I suppose, the same goes for majora´s mask, wind waker and A Link to the Past, creating a quintuple tie, so I could say that is my top 5/1 favorite(s) games ever :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I played OoT first, I like OoT more. That's not my exact reasoning though it plays a part. I don't think of TP as being OoT + better graphics, and I generally don't think of TP as being a Zelda game at all. I know this is a comparison between Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time, but when I played TP, I tried to compare it to other Zelda games. I don't remember any other Zelda game being so bland. I don't want to go in depth with what I hate about Twilight Princess because what I would say is honestly too repetitive - Axle clears a lot of it up in ZD's earliest mailbags anyway.

TP is a great game, don't get me wrong, but as a Zelda game it just feels out of place in my opinion.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I played Twilight Princess first, and I like Twilight Princess more than Ocarina of Time. And I feel confident enough to say that even if I played Ocarina of Time first, I would still say I liked Twilight Princess first. TP just seemed much more fun to play, it had better gameplay mechanics, and I feel it had a much better plot. It was a long game (longest Zelda game so far), and of course, it has my favorite graphical style up to now.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I played Twilight Princess first, and I like Twilight Princess more than Ocarina of Time. And I feel confident enough to say that even if I played Ocarina of Time first, I would still say I liked Twilight Princess first. TP just seemed much more fun to play, it had better gameplay mechanics, and I feel it had a much better plot. It was a long game (longest Zelda game so far), and of course, it has my favorite graphical style up to now.
YAY! Someone agrees with me. Thanks bro.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
To be honest here, I like TP better. Even though I played OoT first, I thought TP had an interesting plot and enemies. But OoT has some memories into me. Fighting Ganon/Ganondorf were pretty epic to do. But TP's Ganon fight was insane. Ganondorf still standing with Master Sword on chest. OoT's items were easy to carry, TP's on the other hand, we hard to use and carry. The Graphics, the graphics on TP are insanely cool and realistic. Oot are awesome too, but cubicly^^. Even though both games had some little flaws, they are both an intense game to play. I've played OoT first. But I like TP better than OoT.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Well I fist played OoT along time ago that I don't remember much. Then 2 years ago I started playing TP and loved it and wanted to play more so I beat the
WW before I played OoT (That annoyed my friend but at the time I didn't know any better).

Conor

the over analysing guy
I played OoT, and I will confess that I'll always look at the game through rose-tinted glasses, it just means so much more to me on a personal level, as well as being a fantastic game, that's not to say I dislike Twilight Princess of course, in fact I really enjoyed that as well. For the same reason I will always prefer Super Mario 64 over the likes of galaxy I will always prefer Ocarina of Time over modern zelda games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom