• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does It Matter Which You Played First?

Which did you do?

• I played OoT first; I liked OoT better than TP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I played OoT first; I liked TP better than OoT

• I played TP first; I liked TP better than OoT

• I played TP first; I liked OoT better than TP

• I played them at the same time; I liked OoT better than TP

• I played them at the same time; I liked TP better than OoT

• Total voters

Nicole

luke is my wife
I was thinking to myself the other day why I like Twilight Princess so much more than Ocarina of Time. TP just had made such a lasting impression on me, and OoT really didn't come close to it when I played it. Thing is, TP was the first Zelda game I really got into (not counting playing up to Dragon Roost Carvern in The Wind Waker).

I know that many people felt that TP was just a rehash of OoT, and liked it a lot less than OoT. But in order to be a "rehash," they would have generally had to have played OoT first.

So, I was wondering if which game you played first actually had an impact on which game you preferred. I played TP first and liked it better than OoT; what about you? Vote in the poll and post your thoughts!

Austin

Austin
I played OoT before TP, and prefer OoT, but I don't really think it has to do much with the order I played them in. I also don't really consider TP to be a "rehash" of OoT only because that term sounds far too generous. OoT had far more to do than TP and seemed like a much more concise game, unlike TP, which seemed hastily thrown together and unfinished.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I played OoT first; I liked TP better than OoT.

I get that Ocarina of Time was a really popular game, critically acclaimed, blah blah blah...
But Twilight Princess was just... better. I mean, the plot was more in-depth, the concept around the game was great, and overall it was just epic. I mean, everything has flaws, and Twilight Princess is no exception, but the game was just better than Ocarina of Time.

^^

Garo

Boy Wonder
Ocarina first, Ocarina best. Puzzle design was more simplistic, and yet still adequately challenging in Ocarina of Time. By the time Twilight Princess had rolled around, we had seen all the tricks in the book, so they had to make complicated puzzles that hinged on a single item that was then left to rot and never used again.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I like OoT better than TP, and I did play OoT first... but I didn't think that was the reason I liked OoT better. I mean, OoT isn't even my favorite Zelda game. I like Wind Waker and Majora's Mask better, for instance.

I do think playing OoT first might have increased the feeling of loss I felt when playing TP, but what bothers me is that too much of it centered around Midna as a central character, and many of the side characters were left less developed than they were in OoT. There were no additional characters like Sheik or the sages, it was all on Midna, and sometimes Zelda and Ilia. And that just wasn't quite enough.

WW and MM had even stronger side characters, and I liked those games better than OoT. So to me, TP is actually a step backwards, even if it's as good as OoT. To me, it's close to OoT, but not QUITE as good.

It makes a huge difference which games you have played first. I can Like Ocarina of Time better than Twilight Princess because Twilight Princess seemed like a copy of Ocarina of Time or i can like Twilight Princess is better because it improved upon what Ocarina of Time had. Now if you want my personal opinion I prefer Twilight Princess to Ocarina of Time because Ocarina of Time seems over-rated to me. People say "Oh Ocarina of Time is the greatest game ever" but they blow it out of proportion. Twilight Princess was dull and linear but i liked it better. Now this is going to contradict what i said in my first sentence but I have played Ocarina of Time before Twilight Princess and i obviously prefer TP to OoT.

Off topic: It doesn't really make a difference because fanboys will be fanboys and those fanboys will not play any other game but OoT because they think OoT is the greatest and no other zelda game will live up to it.

MW7

It makes a huge difference which games you have played first. I can Like Ocarina of Time better than Twilight Princess because Twilight Princess seemed like a copy of Ocarina of Time or i can like Twilight Princess is better because it improved upon what Ocarina of Time had. Now if you want my personal opinion I prefer Twilight Princess to Ocarina of Time because Ocarina of Time seems over-rated to me. People say "Oh Ocarina of Time is the greatest game ever" but they blow it out of proportion. Twilight Princess was dull and linear but i liked it better. Now this is going to contradict what i said in my first sentence but I have played Ocarina of Time before Twilight Princess and i obviously prefer TP to OoT.

Off topic: It doesn't really make a difference because fanboys will be fanboys and those fanboys will not play any other game but OoT because they think OoT is the greatest and no other zelda game will live up to it.

I agree completely with the fact that which game you plated first makes a huge difference. I played OOT first and prefer it over TP. Based on the sentence I bolded I would guess neither game is your favorite Zelda game. I myself wouldn't consider TP dull, but it's linearity is the biggest problem I have with the game. I do give OOT more attention than TP despite how similar the games are, but I believe this is because OOT is more replayable due to non-linearity. I calculated it out between different dungeon and minidungeon orders without glitches and the results were: OOT-274 orders, TP-1 order. So that's why I play OOT a lot more than TP.

No offense but by your reasoning, it sounds like you prefer TP simply because more people prefer OOT. Saying you like TP more than OOT because OOT is overrated sounds like you just want to be a nonconformist. Sorry but that's how I interpreted your post.

Also I would guess that if someone would do a statistical analysis of people's favorite Zelda games that they would find a strong relationship between age and their favorite game. This would be directly linked to which game they played first as well. For instance people in their 30's or older might tend to prefer one of the first four games of the series.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I played OoT first and then TP and I LOVE both of them but I think OoT is better because...well, I don't know. They're really close in my rankings.

Pen

The game is on!
Well I played OoT first (when I was really little), but that was before I really got into Zelda. I did play the game, but I didn't beat it. When I was 13 I got TP, I beat that game, and it really got me into the series (I've been stuck here ever since). After that I continued on OoT, and I eventually beat it.

But I really can't choose which one is better, because for me it changes all the time. I'd probably say TP has better Mini Bosses and Overworld, but OoT has so many different fascinating races and some amazing music. So I guess it's a draw!

WhiteRundas

Ice Hunter
I played TP first and find OoT better.But I like them both.TP was my first Zelda game and it takes a special place in my heart, but I enjoyed OoT more.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I played and replayed OoT many more times than I've replayed TP yet I still find TP more enjoyable for a few reasons.

Which I will tell if someone asks.

i played ocarina 1st, but i honestly cant decide between the two. i like them both equally. i love how they connect to each other, yet are still so different. and i love both of their unique characters. i cant choose!

I played TP first and hated it. I never got into that game for some reason. I recently played OoT for the first time and loved it. I couldn't put that game down no matter what. I skipped school 4 days to play it i loved it so much. it is only second to ALttP imo.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
(I played OoT first)

Despite the fact that I think Ocarina of Time is better than Twilight Princess (and the greatest game of all time so far), Twilight Princess is actually my favorite game. Like, not just Zelda, my favorite overall. I really liked how Nintendo brought in constant story and character development and the cinematic feel the game had. I don't see why people beat up on it just because it's "too linear". Not every Zelda game has to be the same. And that's the thing, each Zelda game is supposed to be its own. Twilight Princess did that by bringing something new to the table. And it worked. Quite well, if you ask me. Now, do I want every Zelda game from now on to be like Twilight Princess? No. But I think it was a nice change for the series. Just one of those "one time" things. I also liked the darker, more mature tone of the game. That was something I was wanting from the next console Zelda after playing WW and MC. And it delivered. I know that it may have been a bit "too dark" for Zelda, but every series like Zelda needs its darker game to bring more variety and sort of offset the "normal/traditional" style at some point.

Anyway, again, I played OoT first (and probably like it better in all reality), but TP is my favorite game.

Last edited:
I agree completely with the fact that which game you plated first makes a huge difference. I played OOT first and prefer it over TP. Based on the sentence I bolded I would guess neither game is your favorite Zelda game. I myself wouldn't consider TP dull, but it's linearity is the biggest problem I have with the game. I do give OOT more attention than TP despite how similar the games are, but I believe this is because OOT is more replayable due to non-linearity. I calculated it out between different dungeon and minidungeon orders without glitches and the results were: OOT-274 orders, TP-1 order. So that's why I play OOT a lot more than TP.

No offense but by your reasoning, it sounds like you prefer TP simply because more people prefer OOT. Saying you like TP more than OOT because OOT is overrated sounds like you just want to be a nonconformist. Sorry but that's how I interpreted your post.

Also I would guess that if someone would do a statistical analysis of people's favorite Zelda games that they would find a strong relationship between age and their favorite game. This would be directly linked to which game they played first as well. For instance people in their 30's or older might tend to prefer one of the first four games of the series.

Im in my thirties and LttP is my all time favourite game, i was sixteen when it came out.
I have played all Zelda games that came out on major consoles.

But yes i think which you play first makes a big difference as to which you like better.
I like OoT better that TP for sure.

The music in OoT is better.
there are some fantastic cutscenes in OoT.

Ihave played a lot of TP and its very poor in terms of music and no cutscenes from what i have seem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom