• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does History Repeat Itself?

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
[NOTE: I searched and did not find this thread anywhere. If there is an existing thread like this, please merge them, thanks!]​

Hey guys,

So, I'm getting right to business here; does history repeat itself? This is a big question to take in at first, but if we break it down a little and I show an EPIC example, maybe we can wrap our minds around this big question.

So, first off, let's break this question down. "Does history repeat itself?" is asking what? It's asking you, "Are their points in history that reflect, or mirror, a later or earlier event?" Now that we know that, we can start to think of events in history that may be similar to other events. Here's a great example; The similarities between Abe Lincoln and John F. Kennedy's assassinations:

• Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
    John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946
  • Lincoln failed to win the Vice Presidential nomination in 1856.
    Kennedy failed to win the Vice Presidential nomination in 1956.
  • Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
    John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.
  • Lincoln defeated Stephen Douglas who was born in 1813.
    Kennedy defeated Richard Nixon who was born in 1913.
  • Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.
    Both wives lost children while in the White House.
  • Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.
    Both Presidents were shot in the head.
  • Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
    Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln.
  • Both were assassinated by Southerners.
    Both were succeeded by Southerners.
  • Both Presidents had Vice Presidents named Johnson.
  • Lincoln's Vice President was called Andrew Johnson who served in the House of Representatives in 1847.
    Kennedy's Vice President was called Lyndon Johnson who served in the House of Representatives in1947.
  • Both successors (their Vice Presidents) were named Johnson.
    Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
    Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.
  • Both assassins were known by the three names.
    Both names are composed of fifteen letters.
  • Lincoln was shot at the theatre called "Ford."
    Kennedy was shot in a car named "Lincoln", made by Ford.
  • Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
    Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.
  • Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

After reading that, do you think history repeats itself? Can you think of other events that are similar like the example I gave you? Post your thoughts and discuss this amazing question below.

That's it for now guys, I'll see you later!
~zeldahuman

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
Hmm, well I've been reading about that and I notice the same thing....well sometimes History can repeat itself if something happens the same happens like that.

Joey, are you a conspiracy theorist? In my opinion, no, history does not repeat itself in a literal sense. However, there are present-day events that might seem to 'reflect or mirror' a past event in a more figurative sense. I guess one could apply the infamous "those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it" here...

Well, most of these things are all mere coincidences, but some of them are part of the fact that eaach President gets 4 years to run in office, but can re-elect themselves for anothe 4 year run, and those 2 presidents just happened to be a specific number of years between their Presidency, and they had similar things happen to them.

~Linkanon~

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Joey, are you a conspiracy theorist? In my opinion, no, history does not repeat itself in a literal sense. However, there are present-day events that might seem to 'reflect or mirror' a past event in a more figurative sense. I guess one could apply the infamous "those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it" here...
No, I'm.. not a conspiracy theorist, I just LOVE history! :yes:

And I guess you could say that "those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it", but does that really make sense? In my eyes, no. I mean, even if you DO KNOW about history, you could still repeat something without even knowing it. But, with technology these days there are lots of things that make modern-day and "back-in-the-day" different. For example, we have internet whereas people "back-in-the-day" did not. Who knows , maybe this very conversation will show up in a kid's textbook in the future when they learn about the technology of the twentieth century (lame idea is lame. -.-). These little things about history fascinate me. Also, the whole "We're always making history" thing could be stated here. Just another way of saying what I said, we make history everyday.

/minirant

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'm not really surprised at when Presidents/Congress are elected a hundred years later, because they're bound to end up on the same year since each term is a four-year period. The other facts are a bit ironic and some make me question them...

Guess I have some research I can do. ^^

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I'm not really surprised at when Presidents/Congress are elected a hundred years later, because they're bound to end up on the same year since each term is a four-year period. The other facts are a bit ironic and some make me question them...

Guess I have some research I can do. ^^
What facts are you questioning? I can clear something up or anything if you need me too...

Last edited:
When I was in Gettysburg, I saw a paper that you could buy there for like $5 that had all of that on it. I do think that history repeats itself.

I don't know if I agree with the idea of it repeating itself. There certainly are rare occasions, when, like the one you described, very minute details occur at exact moments in history. I believe that it's all just coincidences, and, without getting into the conspiracy side of it, I think that most of history does not repeat itself. For sake of consistency, it's all just coincidences with exceptions.

I think you should read this....:

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/lincoln-kennedy.asp

I think human life tends to repeat itself, sure. We make the same, stupid, dumb mistakes over and over. We never seem to be able to learn from our past and the mistakes made there, which is why we see many of the same problems and events occurring that previously did. That's really the only way history repeats itself.

As for that, it just ain't right.

I don't think history repeats itself at all. Some natural disasters happen similar to others. Such as the great extinction before dinosaurs lived on Earth causing most life to be wiped from Earth and yet again a natural disaster wiped out most life on Earth again. Holidays happen every year but do they repeat exactly? No. As you can see, things can repeat but it happens by coinsidence. Most things don not repeat themselves due to they very fact that cannot history repeat itself. Ask yourself this: If history repeats itself, what new things that can and can't be discovered? We would not know as much as we do today because history does not repeat and never will it. I also love history and want to learn new things, not things that happen over and over and over.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Of course it repeats itself. We are humans. There is no way for us to be perfect. If you look on the view of how many revolutions there have been, despite wanting peace, and all the troubles that we had, people will still stick to their opinion. That is just my opinion, anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom