[NOTE: I searched and did not find this thread anywhere. If there is an existing thread like this, please merge them, thanks!]
So, I'm getting right to business here; does history repeat itself? This is a big question to take in at first, but if we break it down a little and I show an EPIC example, maybe we can wrap our minds around this big question.
So, first off, let's break this question down. "Does history repeat itself?" is asking what? It's asking you, "Are their points in history that reflect, or mirror, a later or earlier event?" Now that we know that, we can start to think of events in history that may be similar to other events. Here's a great example; The similarities between Abe Lincoln and John F. Kennedy's assassinations:
- Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946
- Lincoln failed to win the Vice Presidential nomination in 1856.
Kennedy failed to win the Vice Presidential nomination in 1956.
- Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.
- Lincoln defeated Stephen Douglas who was born in 1813.
Kennedy defeated Richard Nixon who was born in 1913.
- Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.
Both wives lost children while in the White House.
- Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.
Both Presidents were shot in the head.
- Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln.
- Both were assassinated by Southerners.
Both were succeeded by Southerners.
- Both Presidents had Vice Presidents named Johnson.
- Lincoln's Vice President was called Andrew Johnson who served in the House of Representatives in 1847.
Kennedy's Vice President was called Lyndon Johnson who served in the House of Representatives in1947.
- Both successors (their Vice Presidents) were named Johnson.
Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.
- Both assassins were known by the three names.
Both names are composed of fifteen letters.
- Lincoln was shot at the theatre called "Ford."
Kennedy was shot in a car named "Lincoln", made by Ford.
- Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.
- Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.
After reading that, do you think history repeats itself? Can you think of other events that are similar like the example I gave you? Post your thoughts and discuss this amazing question below.
That's it for now guys, I'll see you later!