• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Does Ganondorf Even Fight Seriously or is It All a Joke to Him?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I find Ganondorf's behaviour towards link in TP very unusual considering Link is the only person capable of even harming him. Despite Link possessing the ultimate weapon Ganondorf seems to consider Midna to be the only problem to him. Midna says 'I will risk everything to deny you' to which Ganondorf replies: 'try to deny me then, you and your little friend' When I first played I thought he must be referring to Midna as the 'little friend' however he's actually referring to Link, he considers link to be a tag along or a sidekick, and by the way he talks about him as a 'little friend' Ganon clearly thinks he's small and insignificant.

Ganondorf possesses Zelda flinging midna all the way out of the building and then decides to have a game of dead man's volley with link, clearly he wanted to toy around with the person he considered to be of no threat. Link manages to defeat Ganondorf's puppet Zelda, but Ganondorf was only defeated with his own magic and of course that would hurt, he claimed to have absolute power, he believed that he was his own undoing in that instance and still is not worried by link. It is Midna that overpowers beast Ganon in the battle that follows and Zelda who shot him with light arrows on horseback.

The final battle: Ganondorf has an enclosed arena blocking out all outside help. He has link alone. The way Ganondorf fights he clearly is in no hurry to finish link, in fact he walks at about 1 mile per hour, a really gentle stroll towards link. Even after taking heavy damage Ganondorf still walks at that pace. This is not the walk of somebody who feels the need to get the job done against an opponent that could kill them, this is the walk of somebody who thinks they have won already and there is no chance of the other sides victory. Ganondorf is definitely capable of fast movement, he does the occasional chance attack and runs towards link if he gets too far away and is able to block any frontal attack, and dodge arrows (probably to show off because apart from the MS nothing can be used to hurt him). His taunting hand gestures and his general lack of aggression after 3 previous battles says to me that he considers the final battle to be a complete joke and a bit of sport rather than a serious fight to the death.

To compare how he fights to other Games, in the Wind Waker's final battle he has only one thing on his mind, and that is murder. The battle is fast paced and Ganondorf is incredibly aggressive. In OOT's first battle, Ganondorf seems to be having great fun playing dead man's volley with Link. He lets out a thunderous roar of laughter every time link gets hit. Towards the end, perhaps a little too late he realises that link is a threat and uses heavier attacks, however upon his defeat his speech suggests he never thought he could lose that fight I expect he was not trying his best due to that reason.

Do you agree with my points above and do you think Ganondorf takes his fights as seriously as he should? Do you think if he actually fought a bit harder he could actually succeed in his plans rather than getting his *** kicked all the time?

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I would say no. Why? because he doesn't take his opponent seriously at first.
Ganon has the Triforce of Power, so he specializes in power. Because he as the triforce of power, he thinks he is unstoppable & unbeatable, especially to a 10-17 year old elf boy/man wearing a tunic. He has no idea how powerful his enemies or his henchmen are (which is why he's so surprised when Link kills all of them in the process of getting to him). But by the time he is beaten & on his last leg, he gets serious about things, but by then it's too late save himself. My theory of him accting like this is because he doesn't have the triforce of wisdom to know how powerful other are & the triforce of courage to face something stronger than him without help.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ah, darn, it's times like these I wish I had that quote...oh well, gonna try to replicate it.

TP Ganondorf is not fat guys. I know no fat man capable of jumping so high that I lose my target arrow!

...no? I guess not; it just doesn't have that same charm does it.

***​

Speaking in terms of stuff, I think Ganondorf is half serious half joking with his fights. He wields the Triforce of Power, after all, so why should anything be relatively serious to him? Also, he keeps coming back and coming back; Link never legitimately KILLS him. Always always he seals him away in some form or fashion, it's basically like Link is giving him a 1-UP for his efforts, as if he collected 100 coins or something. If I had the ToP and was only SEALED not killed, I would be joking around with any and all fights.

As for the snippet about Little Friend and Midna, I think Ganondorf told Midna to deny him because Ganondorf was speaking in the tone that gives off the impression of "I controlled the highest of your people, Zant, effortlessly. What could you possibly do?". Little Friend, meaning Link, was probably used because Link at that point hadn't been much of a threat.

Non-Epic

Resident Cucco Kicker
Labrynna, because Hyrule is too mainstream.
Honestly, since in TP he broke out of the Sage's seal so easily, he doesn't take Link or what could happen seriously. He doesn't know what's coming in OoT first of all, so he gets completely infuriated.

In WW, on the other hand, he's enlightened.

I've always interpreted Ganondorf's behavior as a reflection of his fate on the respective branches of the timeline. While during the final fight Ganondorf is at his most aggressive his Wind Waker portrayal depicts him as a pensive man weathered down from decades, even centuries in the Sacred Realm. He doesn't wreak havoc in the name of destruction but rather improving the lot of people whom he deems were abandoned by the Gods.

Twilight Princess Ganondorf, on the other hand, resembles his Ocarina of Time counterpart. He's experienced little genuine pain and although sealed within the Twilight Realm via the Mirror of Twilight he quickly made a pact with Zant in order to gain power. He's the Hernan Cortes of the Zelda universe, fooling the hopeful into believing he is their deity.

As you maintained, the reason Ganondorf fears Midna more than Link is because he is aware of the immense power she exhibits in her fused shadow form He doesn't see how a puny Hylian could harm him. In this respect he is similar to Demise from Skyward Sword who maintains, "The humans I've known were weak things. Hardly more than insects, shivering under rocks and ready to flee at a mere glimpse of me". That said, his overconfidence cost him as the mighty Master Sword laid waste to even the wielder of the Triforce of Power.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Ganondorf is a cocky fellow, that's why he's such a silly banana in his fights.

He has the triforce of power, the sages couldn't kill him, he fooled someone into taking over Hyrule for him, he thinks he's hot stuff. So why should Link worry him at all?
I honestly think he enjoyed his final battle against Link eplaining his movement and tactics. He wanted it to last and i think his true tactic was to intimidate Link and break down his spirit.

"I was wondering what would break first. Your spirit? Or your body!"
-Bane

...yeah

I get this confused sometimes, but in the branch of the timeline where Twilight Princess occurs, hadn't Ganondorf defeated Link in the final battle of Ocarina of Time? If Ganondorf had killed Link in their last encounter, that could explain his overconfidence. By contrast, Ganondorf's more aggressive behavior in the final battle with Link in The Wind Waker would makes more sense considering that Link had defeated him that timeline and he understands the real threat Link poses.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I get this confused sometimes, but in the branch of the timeline where Twilight Princess occurs, hadn't Ganondorf defeated Link in the final battle of Ocarina of Time? If Ganondorf had killed Link in their last encounter, that could explain his overconfidence. By contrast, Ganondorf's more aggressive behavior in the final battle with Link in The Wind Waker would makes more sense considering that Link had defeated him that timeline and he understands the real threat Link poses.

No, the timeline where link is defeated is the hero's downfall timeline which leads to ALttP, then OoS and OoA, then LA, then LoZ, then AoL.

This timeline is where young link (in OoT) warns Zelda of Ganondorf's plans, so Zelda tells the king and busts Ganny, so the sages try to execute Ganny but fail (as shown in TP)

I think that the reason Ganondorf seems so aloof and carefree in this fight is simply the result of how OoT ended in this timeline. In the Child Timeline he never had to fight the Hero of Time, sure his plans were stopped before he could find the Triforce but he never was defeated by a hero. After the Hero of Time warns the royal family and Ganondorf is exposed he is simply sealed by the sages after a failed execution attempt. During this attempt he realizes that he possesses at least part of the Triforce. Knowing he has this great power and never having faced or battled a Link probably led this Ganondorf to consider himself invincible. In fact since he never encountered the Hero of Time, he may not even know the power the master sword contains. He may just see TP Link as some boy who Midna used to find the Fused Shadow, an artifact he knows grants the user immense power.

In short I think TP Ganondorf doesn't take the fight serious because he has never had to face an incarnation of Link and when he was supposed to be executed, he was granted the Triforce of Power thus giving him godlike powers. He simply didn't have any reason to fear link or consider him a threat.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I find Ganondorf's behaviour towards link in TP very unusual considering Link is the only person capable of even harming him. Despite Link possessing the ultimate weapon Ganondorf seems to consider Midna to be the only problem to him. Midna says 'I will risk everything to deny you' to which Ganondorf replies: 'try to deny me then, you and your little friend' When I first played I thought he must be referring to Midna as the 'little friend' however he's actually referring to Link, he considers link to be a tag along or a sidekick, and by the way he talks about him as a 'little friend' Ganon clearly thinks he's small and insignificant.

This is not correct. When Ganondorf says this line, the camera moves to Zelda. Therefore, the "little friend" is Zelda, for which Midna rushes towards her to try to protect her.

I'm pretty sure Ganondorf takes the fight seriously, but there are factors that may make him seem overconfident. For example, this is the first time, in this timeline, that Ganondorf has the power from the Triforce of Power. Thus, he might think he is much more powerful and can take things way more seriously. Also, he survived an assassination attempt on him, so that might boost his confidence as well.

Midna's Sister

I'm the TwilightPrincess!
Read mine. You might be suprised...

In SS, Demise is all like "Stop the charade kid" and his with his final breath he says: "I will never be defeated! Mine is a hatred that will liver forever!! It will last as long as one with the spirit of the goddess lives!". Ganondorf probobly inhereted Demise's spirit. Another thing: when Ganondorf first meets Link in OoT, he's a child. So that's another. And if he was srong enough to kill a sage, (i think raru) Then he thinks he can kill anyone. All I'm saying, he's got the hatred and the power. All I can say is that.

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
Yes, Ganon doesn't take it seriously. At all. I bet he thinks Link has no chance of winning.
I also bet he thinks,"This boy cannot beat a dark lord like me. I am much too powerful." Well, he should think again once he's defeated.

octorok74

TETTAC
I think Ganondorf takes the fights a bit seriously. Especially in WW, since the King screwed him over. But Ganondorf does seem to be pretty cocky when he fights.

Ganondorf has always underestimated Link. :lol: He didn't take him seriously here. You can tell by just how cockey he was. :lol:

Djinn

and Tonic
I would say that he starts out not taking Link seriously at all but then gets angry and more reckless as the fight goes on. Especially in TP, OoT, and WW. In OoT Ganondorf mostly lets Link roam around the kingdom fully aware of Link's actions and occasionally sending a monster or Phantom Ganon after him but still being mostly entertained and humored at his actions. When Link faces him at the end Ganondorf does not really care because he is certain that he will defeat Link just as easily as he has defeated everyone else in the entire kingdom. He had the power of the gods and maintained dominance over the kingdom as a deity on earth. He probably did not even know that Link had a piece of the triforce himself or did not care until it was time to take all three pieces for himself later on. He was totally confident that his triforce of power would let him overpower and outclass any would be hero no matter how much help they get from any sage friends. Until Link defeated him and toppled the castle. Then he gets angry and just wants to outright kill him by transforming into a large monster the crush Link. But I assume that by this time he is too enraged to be thinking straight and is not fully capable of being of much good here as well.

I believe a similar situation occurred in TP. Ganondorf had successfully taken the twilight realm and Hyrule managing to regain the power to manifest himself in physical form again. But he very easily stopped all opposition in Hyrule and knocked down Midna with little effort even when she was using the fused shadows. He very likely did not think anything of Link at all. He had no amazing magical abilities of his own to exploit like Zelda or Midna, no armies, soldiers, or even help. Just one guy with a sword, so Ganondorf did not take the fight seriously, he just toyed with him using Zelda as a puppet. Then Link defeated him, this is where he might have been angry or had his pride wounded so he recreated the arena outside with a wall surrounding the area so that Link could not escape.

In Wind Waker I definitely got the impression that Ganondorf was toying with Link throughout the whole game and never once considered the little kit playing hero with a sword any type of threat. Until the point when all of his plans were ruined, he lost the triforce, lost his chance at reclaiming the kingdom, and everything would be drowned underneath an ocean within a few minutes. His plans were through and he very well might die within a few minutes so he took out all of his anger and disappointment on Link. It was finally the point where he had enough of Link's crap and was just going to kill him first before the crushing water kills him.

In all three instances I think blind rage made him reckless and vulnerable to attack from Link. Or at least made what would be a one sided fight between a hero and a giant, deity powered, castle crushing monster a lot easier than it should be. However I believe the complete fight in ALTTP to be mostly Ganon toying with Link and generally playing the whole time until he was killed. He just tossed his trident around, shooting some fire and teleporting for a while and then decided to do much of the same while turning the lights out and taunting Link in the process. Or he was shocked and angered that Aganihm was defeated twice, Ganon was more than a little annoyed that Link could accomplish that. But I would assume that his having all three pieces of the triforce at his disposal, an entire world under his command, and the royal family of Hyrule annihilated would give him that perfect level of overconfidence that would cause him to still think less of the young hero with a sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom