• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does atheism exist in Hyrule?

So, we know there are deities and parallels to heaven and hell in the world of Hyrule.

But something I've noticed is that a lot of citizens don't seem to have that much interest or knowledge on the Golden Goddesses or the Triforce. Sure, they aren't seeking immortality or become rulers of the world. But I notice with several games, the story of the three and the Triforce doesn't seem to even be common knowledge. In fact, it's sometimes a character like Princess Zelda who has to tell Link about it. This makes me wonder if it either isn't well known or if there are people who don't believe in it.

Sure, there are Hylians who interact with races that include sentient rockmen, fish people and talking birds, but that isn't the same as magical shapes left behind by deities that have the power to grant wishes. It's the equivalent of people of different cultures and ethnicities interacting.

For the record, I myself am not an atheist and this isn't a debate on atheism in general, just a question if it exists in the world of Hyrule.

Do you think that there are people who don't believe in the goddesses, or even the Triforce?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
So, we know there are deities and parallels to heaven and hell in the world of Hyrule.

But something I've noticed is that a lot of citizens don't seem to have that much interest or knowledge on the Golden Goddesses or the Triforce. Sure, they aren't seeking immortality or become rulers of the world. But I notice with several games, the story of the three and the Triforce doesn't seem to even be common knowledge. In fact, it's sometimes a character like Princess Zelda who has to tell Link about it. This makes me wonder if it either isn't well known or if there are people who don't believe in it.

Sure, there are Hylians who interact with races that include sentient rockmen, fish people and talking birds, but that isn't the same as magical shapes left behind by deities that have the power to grant wishes. It's the equivalent of people of different cultures and ethnicities interacting.

For the record, I myself am not an atheist and this isn't a debate on atheism in general, just a question if it exists in the world of Hyrule.

Do you think that there are people who don't believe in the goddesses, or even the Triforce?
Sure. The Kokiri probably were not introduced to the idea of the gods, and that is probably the same for the Gorons and maybe the Zora although I recall something religious about the Zora in BoTW.

Remote people like the Kokiri surely didn't know the gods existed

I imagine it would be very difficult to not believe in gods in a world like Hyrule, but yeah there are probably some out there who don't.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I doubt it. It's hard to deny magic and I'm sure everyone has some sort of God figure, whether it be the goddesses, the Deku Tree, Jabu Jabu, or even Ganondorf.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
No, pretty much everyone in Hyrule seems to believe in some sort of deity. And most know about the goddesses to some degree. I suppose with Link in OoT he was still young and carefree which is why he had to be told about the goddesses.

Perhaps atheism could make sense in Wind Waker, but still we even see Zephos and Cyclos who are elemetal deities who are worshipped.

Atheism would be stupid in Hyrule because while in real life we lack the solid evidence of a deity, Hyrule has that evidence. There may be less religious people in Hyrule, but denying the existence of any of the deities is dumb since the evidence is actually present.

I seroiusly doubt it, and maybe my answer to this post will be based on the fact that I am also a believer of God and a Christian in real life.

I think the denizens of Hyrule very much know that the goddesses exist, and worship them accordingly. Furthermore, the world of Hyrule is also saturated with other deities that aren't the creation goddesses such as the Light Spirits, and the Great Fairies, and one could argue that The Great Deku Tree is a spirit of the earth, so is a lesser deity.

So in short, I don't think anyone is an athiest in Hyrule, or that such a concept even exists in their world.

CyborgElfStephanie

Just a loser loving Legend of Zelda and anime
Chances are there isn't people not believing the gods and all of that because it sure looks almost impossible to not believe. But who knows there might be those who aren't believers.

In Hyrule there's more evidence of the goddesses and the triforce's existence than proof we have of a higher power here in the real world. If any NPC denies believing in the triforce, they probably would be more agnostic than atheist, because most likely they have personal theories on the triforce rather than what is told to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom