• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Anyone Here Speak More Than One Language?

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I am currently taking Spanish 3 and AP Spanish, but I would'nt say I speak it fluently by any means. I also really want to learn French and German.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
My native language is a very strong dialect of German (by "very strong" I mean that it's as different from Standard German as Scots is to English or Okinawan to Japanese). Then of course I speak standard German almost perfectly.
Next is English which I can understand almost perfectly in its written form, but only if it's colloquial modern-day English. I have lots of trouble reading an Edgar Allen Poe story (we had to do that back when I was in school) because he used so many Latin words... had to check my dictionary at almost every of his sentences. And then there are some nasty traps for a German native speaker learning English: For example, German "dann" equals English "then" and German "denn" equals English "than", so confusing... and I'm often stumped at English grammar, in spoken German there's only one past tense of a verb: "Ich habe getan." (in my dialect: "Isch hunn g'doo") In English however, you have to differentiate between "I did", "I was doing", "I have done", "I've been doing", "I had done", "I had been doing"... which all mean the same to me. English grammar is so confusing... and still Englishmen and Americans claim that German grammar is "difficult"... yeah right ;) it's actually very easy!
But back to topic: Knowing German and some English, I can read ~90% of written Dutch and ~70% of written Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. Icelandic completely escapes me though.
I also learned French at school from 1997 to 2003 but unfortunately I forgot a lot of it since then. Still this makes me understand some Spanish and Italian (I have some Italian relatives)
Other languages that caught my interest are Russian (I can fully read the Cyrillic alphabet but don't understand much) and Japanese (I basically know how the language works and I can read all katakana and hiragana, can write all katakana and most hiragana but only a handful of kanji, and besides knowing a dozen of basic words, the only sentence I can say is "Nihongo wa karimasen", the grammar of that language is totally crazy!)

D

Deleted member 6224

Im learning Latin in school. Ive always wanted to learn German.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
I'm learning Spanish right now. But I'm only in Spanish 1. I can take up to 4 years of Spanish if I want. But I don't want to go through all that work and time. 3 years is enough. After that it's AP Spanish. I know that not a single word of English is spoken there, it scares me. I know I'll learn, but all of my other classes are AP classes by the time I'm a senior. So yeah.

Well, I speak English pretty well. lol When I was 16, I was extremely interested in the romance languages, so I started to study and learn them starting with Spanish. Today, I can speak a bit of Latin, French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. Although, Spanish is my strong suit, I am admittedly rusty, as I don't have many conversations with Spanish speakers, if at all. I have been severely slacking lately, and have not quite gotten around to learning more. I used to also dabble in Japanese. I wanted to know what the characters in un-dubbed anime were saying or what the lyrics to Japanese songs were. I have almost mastered the Japanese writing system - usage of hiragana and katakana, - but I only know at least five Kanji characters. My Japanese [speaking] is at least beginner's level. Most recently, I have been interested in the Tamil language of Sri Lanka, as it was my father's native language and he spoke it fluently.

Wow... I have a lot on my plate.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Je parle anglais et un peu français! :D

In French, that means I speak English and a little bit of French. I've been taking French in school for a while (this is my second semester taking the course, but unfortunately my last), and it's been quite fun being able to speak more than one language.

I think the most fun I had with speaking French was that a few students from France actually came by and spent the day at the school, and being able to converse with them in French about anything I wanted to know about France was truly awesome in my world.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I speak a few languages. English is my first language, and I speak it fluently. I started learning french several years ago, and i've become quite good at it. I could keep a conversation going for a while, ask where things are...etc. Basic things, and sometimes more advanced things too.

On the side, I speak a little bit of spanish. I can understand it, but not really as well as french. A third language would be Lithuanian, which I picked up from overhearing conversations between my Lithuanian friend and his family. I can say basic things, and I can understand it a little bit, but recently, i've lost touch with the language, as they moved away, so I haven't heard anything new or had any opportunities to practice. :(

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I speak English, can read and understand basic Spanish, can read Arabic (can't understand it though), can read Katakana [which is more or less English with Japanese characters].

English is my first language, I took Arabic in Kindergarten through 3rd grade. In high school I'm taking Spanish, currently in Spanish 2. I picked up a katakana chart so I could read imported games like Star Ocean 3 Director's Cut.

I'm fluent in English, read write and understand.
I'm nowhere close to fluent in Arabic. All I can do is read and pick up very basic words. Forgot all my verbage.
I can read and understand Spanish, I'm terrible at past tense verbs but that will be mastered soon enough.
I can only read Katakana.

P

Palladium

I also speak Portuguese(Br) in native level; can speak a good deal of Spanish and I'm looking to learn Italian too

oracleofcanada

never give in brohams!
i want to learn to speak german and japanese, but i speak some french. example
Salut la classe! Aujourd'hui les devoirs: page neuf partie trois. Demain, pas des devoirs j'ai une question; (pronounce keh- stee- yohn) Comment dit-on Qu'est-ce que c'est(pronounced kehs koo say) en anglais?
translation:
hi class! Today the homework is: page nine part 3. tomorrow, there is no homework. I have a question; how do you say "what is this" in english

umm ive been in french immertion school for ten years and you just said goodby class but one to his own eh or her own.

in any case i speak english and french both fluently. and am currently learning ukrainian. ex: (keep in mind this is translitteration as i do not have a russian or ukrainian keyboard.) prvyet and well thats all i can remember its late and i just got back from cadets.

Conor

the over analysing guy
As part of the Welsh Baccalaureate thing that's going on in my school at the moment we have to learn a language and show evidence of 30 hours' worth of learning it, so as a result, I've started learning to speak Japanese (and only speak, because seriously) I'm only on basic phrases at the moment but it should be fun :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom