• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Anyone Here Speak More Than One Language?

I speak two languages fluently and I'm currently studying two.

My native is Finnish and naturally it's the one I'm most fluent in. I also (like to) think I speak and write pretty good English. Though I get far too little practice with the speaking part!

The two languages I'm studying and hoping to get better at - Swedish and Latin. I'm...not so good with Swedish, I just managed to change my attitude towards it and actually study it. I want to learn it! And I've been studying Latin independently for a year, but been occassionally so busy with everything else that I cannot study it as regularly as I'd like. I've been thinking about taking a German class at school, but I unfortunately don't have enough room for it.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
At least I can speak more than a little Japanese, even if my accent is terrible [noparse]=\[/noparse]
I think your accent is adorable :3
late comment is late, I know, I'm sorry ;-;

Anyways, I can speak a little bit of Chinese, not too much, it's very broken, but enough that I'm not horribly doomed should I ever be stuck in a room with my non-English speaking relatives. I also have a horrible accent when speaking in Chinese, which hinders me a lot given that Chinese is a very tonal language lol. I can understand the majority of what is being said to me though, provided it's in strict Mandarin and not in one of the idk how many random incomprehensible dialects that exist in that weird country ._.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I speak english fluently, and on the side I speak french. I'm not fluent in french, i'm still learning. I could still have a conversation with you though, just not in very technical terms. I can also speak alot of Gaelige/Irish due to my late grandfather.

I can speak a bit of spanish, and I can speak very few words of german, lithuanian, korean and japanese thanks to some people I know. I picked up the words by listening/witnessing their conversations with their siblings/friends.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I think your accent is adorable :3
late comment is late, I know, I'm sorry ;-;

Anyways, I can speak a little bit of Chinese, not too much, it's very broken, but enough that I'm not horribly doomed should I ever be stuck in a room with my non-English speaking relatives. I also have a horrible accent when speaking in Chinese, which hinders me a lot given that Chinese is a very tonal language lol. I can understand the majority of what is being said to me though, provided it's in strict Mandarin and not in one of the idk how many random incomprehensible dialects that exist in that weird country ._.
I know what you mean about the tones. It took me a long time to get used to them. I also have a difficult time understanding anything but standard Mandarin. Some of the dialects are REALLY hard to understand. Even native Chinese speakers have trouble understanding some dialects outside of their region. Linguistically, China is very diverse. There are six major regional dialects of Mandarin; each subdivided further. And of course, there's Cantonese and its many variations.

I am very good at speaking in English, and I know some of the basics of French. I'd bet that I'll be a pretty decent French speaker with a few years of French class in school, though. :lol:

Well, Spanish is my first language, but after arriving to the U.S. (as you can see) I picked up English pretty quickly xD
I'm more fluent in Spanish and it is what I speak at home and around my neighborhood (very Hispanic area), but in school it's English of course. Sometimes I have trouble, it's pretty embarrassing when I really just don't know a word or forget a phrase or something. Sometimes when I'm typing and I'm lazy, I just use a translator ^.^

C

Caleb, Of Asui

My native language is good old boring English. I have to be kind of thankful for that, though, since English is supposed to be a hard language to learn--and I can understand why. It's not consistent at all. I generally like to think I have pretty good grammar and whatnot in English.

I don't speak any foreign languages fluently (yet), but I have learned some Chinese and Japanese. I took two years of Chinese at the beginning of High School, and I can't really remember it as well as Japanese, which I've been more fervent in learning rather independently. I'm definitely still learning, but I'm making progress. Before officially deciding to learn the language I taught myself Katakana and Hiragana (in that order) and I'm thinking about trying to tackle Kanji as well as I can (I already know a few, largely because of my Chinese learnings).

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
I am fluent in English and Spanish. I can Speak/write a whole bunch of Japanese. I know some German(and by that I mean that I listen to Rammstein and other German bands a whole lot, plus I was friends with a German girl) And for some weird, unknown reason I can understand a whole bunch French, Italian and Portuguese.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
I'm fluent in English, can understand Malayalam, (but can't read or write) and my speaking is bad, I'm also studying Spanish. I was also in French in school for the first 2 days (because Spanish was full), but after a few days of people, including me, were able to switch some classes, I got into Spanish. I learned a little bit of French, but forgot.

zellinkda

one of many
i want to learn to speak german and japanese, but i speak some french. example
Salut la classe! Aujourd'hui les devoirs: page neuf partie trois. Demain, pas des devoirs j'ai une question; (pronounce keh- stee- yohn) Comment dit-on Qu'est-ce que c'est(pronounced kehs koo say) en anglais?
translation:
hi class! Today the homework is: page nine part 3. tomorrow, there is no homework. I have a question; how do you say "what is this" in english

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom