• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Anyone Here Play Chess?

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I've been playing chess for about a year, and I love it. It's more than just a board game, but also an analytical puzzle, and a battle of wits. Does anyone here play? Do you just play every now and then for fun, or do you study the game and play in clubs or online?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
When I was a kid I was part of my town's chess club. My uncle and cousin was in it (my uncle helped running it) and some kids in the neighbourhood did, too - one of them won a national tournament for his age group, even. I was an active member from when I was 9 until I was 14. It was a lot of fun and I did place well in most of the tournaments I entered (not always the very top, but I did well enough - got a couple of first, second and third places in my trophy case).

I don't really play now, tho. Sometimes I will do a game on my computer, but I don't really actively seek out people to play with. It's been so long, but it's a cool game, good way to train your logical intelligence, and so on :)

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I used to play Chess, but I haven't in years. Mainly because I have no one to play it with and my wife prefers Checkers over Chess because she doesn't understand it. I've tried explaining it to her and guiding her through by playing it, but she can't seem to grasp it, so unless I can find a friend or someone who likes to play it, I won't be playing it for a long time, but I do enjoy it though!

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I used to play Chess, but I haven't in years. Mainly because I have no one to play it with and my wife prefers Checkers over Chess because she doesn't understand it. I've tried explaining it to her and guiding her through by playing it, but she can't seem to grasp it, so unless I can find a friend or someone who likes to play it, I won't be playing it for a long time, but I do enjoy it though!
guapo, I would suggest you play online. There are some really good chess websites, and I would suggest chess.com. It's the best online in my opinion. You can play rated and unrated games, you can play standard, blitz, and bullet chess, learn strategy and tactics, make friends, etc. It's completely free.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
guapo, I would suggest you play online. There are some really good chess websites, and I would suggest chess.com. It's the best online in my opinion. You can play rated and unrated games, you can play standard, blitz, and bullet chess, learn strategy and tactics, make friends, etc. It's completely free.

Oh, I know and I've tried it before, but it's just not the same as having someone else beside you playing that you can actually see what they are thinking. Thank you though!

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Heck yes. I love chess. My dad and I used to play just about every evening. From those experiences I gained enough understanding on the game to at least match up to most of the advanced players I know. In addition I devised a play of my own that I use at the beginning of the game to shut down almost every movement of my opponent. Afraid I can't tell it, because someone else might take it and use it against me someday...perhaps. :P

I absoloutley love chess and have been playing it since I was 8 years old. I'm really good at math and logical thinking so I'm very good at it. I've consistently beaten my grandpa and my dad since I was 9. I don't know how good I am because those are the only two people I've ever played that were actually decently good (my sister and my mom don't count because they suck). I could just be average, or I could be a prodigy, I'll never know :\.

I also don't have the motivation to play online. I'm not a very competitive person so I don't really care how good I am or my rank.

Oh my goodness, chess shaped my childhood in major ways. I was never too fond of its counterpart in checkers but chess latched onto and rolled me away. :bleh:

Chess is a true thinker's game. There is something pristine in its elegance and simplicity. I always used to play with my uncle although it's been a few months since I last did so. I remember my first victory against him occurring on Christmas Eve 2007. It sure filled my heart with joy at the birth of the baby Jesus during Midnight Mass although it may have been influenced by the fact that he was slightly drunk after a hefty dinner! :lol:

In terms of competitive chess, I've only ever participated in one tournament and didn't do so well. Chess there was too tedious and the opponents better than I. Looks like I require my honing blade!

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I love chess. It requires you to really think about your moves. My uncle used to say that you have to plan your next three moves before even taking a turn. I don't play in tournaments or anything, it's more of a casual thing for me.

yeah I play Chess. I've been playing since I was 7 or 8. I'm not super competitive like playing online or anything like that, i just play with friends alot, and i'm SUPER competitive with them, and when I play my dad. and i always win :P

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I was in chess club in 3rd and 4th grade but I hardly play it anymore. Seeing Penny learn it on Big Bang Theory makes me want to play it again though...I know 2- and 3-move checkmates, but the problem is finding someone stupid enough to make those first dumb moves! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom