• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Anyone else Get Annoyed by Cults?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'm just curious...does anyone else like/love a game, but really get annoyed by it because it's a cult video game and its cult following is full of fanboys? By the way, this doesn't apply to people who simply enjoy the game or place it as their favorite...this is towards the cult group that blindly worships and praises it, refusing to admit there's a single thing wrong with it and the only way you don't love it as much as they do, it's solely because YOU are blinded or simply have bad taste. This can sometimes happen to supporters of the game who enjoy it, but are called "frauds" by the cult for not loving it as much as they do.

I ask this because there's several cult games I really love, but my feelings towards them always feel tainted because of the cult following they have and the unpleasant fundamental radicals that fill my mind with awful thoughts.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Not really. They have their oppoins they have mine. If they try to shove their opoins down your through just ignore them.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That seriously makes zero sense at all, disliking a game because it has...shall we say, obnoxious fans...it's the fans you dislike, not the game. :I

And no, I don't care for cults much. They like the game, so what? They don't have to see or admit flaws in things they love. That's not how it works for everyone and I don't expect it to work that way for them of all kinds of people.

Chiraku

Demon slayer
I wouldn't bother with cult followings. They're just about as sensible as real-life cults. If a lot of people like a game, try it out. If you don't like it and they hate you for that, what the heck. Ignore them. Often the case is that they're just trying to grab attention by making a religion out of a game.

DarkestLink

That seriously makes zero sense at all, disliking a game because it has...shall we say, obnoxious fans...it's the fans you dislike, not the game. :I

And no, I don't care for cults much. They like the game, so what? They don't have to see or admit flaws in things they love. That's not how it works for everyone and I don't expect it to work that way for them of all kinds of people.

It's not so much a dislike for the game itself...more like...an unpleasant feeling towards it. It's the awkward bitter sweet feeling in which I think of all the fun the game offers...but then all the really annoying pretentious fanboys who give it a bad name.

Hmm this makes me think of the way I felt about the HALO games there was so much hype about those games and fanatics raving that its not just a game that I literally lost any and all desire to play them, their probably awesome but I doubt I will play them as the desire to experience them never really came back their old news to me now and I don't have any particular feelings toward the series any more.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
The fanboy/fangirl phenomenon is present in every type of media, from books to movies, to shows, to games. And no matter how annoying they can be they shouldn't influence what you think of it yourself. There will always be people out there ready to tell you that you are not a "real" this and that, but guess what - they are not the ones to decide. You are. They can bombard you with their opinion as much as they want, but in the end, it's just that - an opinion.

I love a lot of things, some with cult followings, some with mainstream following. I've long since stopped caring if other people 'approve' of the way I appreciate it. Like, I love Zelda. But I don't religiously play every Zelda game there is, I don't like every Zelda game ever made. Are there people out there ready to tell me that I am not a 'real' fan by not dedicating the same amount of time, energy and unrelenting love for the series and every game belonging to it? Of course there are. But do I honestly care what those people have to say? Of course I don't.

It's the same with other games, shows, books or movies. We all love things in different ways, we can love things and be critical, we can love things and truly believe it to be flawless, we can love things for certain aspects and recognize where it isn't as strong... We can love parts and hate parts of something and still call ourselves a fan.

Dan

Erm... as long as these cults aren't having me sacrifice my blood to the tri-force, (I've been in several Zelda cults like that) I'm fine. In honestly I care very little for them as long as they leave me and my thoughts alone.

S

Shiroi_to_Kuroi

No.

I've made a vow to myself to not dislike a game - cult or not - because there are a bunch of raving fans who swear by it. I've made this same vow to a number of other things, too.

After all, if the people raving about how good the game is can sour your feelings toward the game, television show, or whatever it may be, it makes you a little shallow, too. Who wants to be shallow? :c

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
See, I dunno why people would hate a game for this reason. There's only 1 thing that makes me like or dislike a game; how fun it is. Did I have fun playing? If so, then I like it. I couldn't care less about who else likes it or doesn't like it, because that won't change the experience and make it any less fun!

Bar online games, since a bad community can screw up good games, but, in general. ;)

DarkestLink

It's not the game itself, but it sorta ruins the memory for me...sorta like how Dr. Seuss' memory gets a little tarnished when you find out he used his cartoons to promote racism.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
It's not the game itself, but it sorta ruins the memory for me...sorta like how Dr. Seuss' memory gets a little tarnished when you find out he used his cartoons to promote racism.

That was a majority of americans veiws at the time. They were like how many americans veiw the muslims today.

Cults dont ruin my mermerys of game only of books and movies. Its easy to to secretly play a game but hard to secretly read a book or watch a movie.

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
Well, I'm a Zelda fan. My brother and cousin are COD fans. They praise COD for being "realistic", "awesome graphics", etc., and if I criticize it they claim Zelda is "kiddy."

Does that mean I enjoy the Zelda series any less? Nope.

DarkestLink

Well, I'm a Zelda fan. My brother and cousin are COD fans. They praise COD for being "realistic", "awesome graphics", etc., and if I criticize it they claim Zelda is "kiddy."

Does that mean I enjoy the Zelda series any less? Nope.

But that's...sorta the opposite...XD

That's how I feel about Call of Duty. I enjoy the games as mindless shooters, but I don't think they're anything special. It bugs me when people say they're great. They're enjoyable, but not great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom