• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does anyone else find A Link to the Past extremely frustrating?

I'm playing A Link to the Past right now, and I've been having a really hard time with it. It was easy up through the Palace of Darkness, but once I got to Skull Woods, I started having real problems. Combat encounters are a huge problem for me, because there's basically no i-frames or knockback when Link gets hit, which means that I get stuck inside an enemy's hitbox way too often. Dungeons are a pain to get through because of the magic meter, limited potions, and ages of backtracking whenever I die to refill my resources before I can venture back into the dungeon I was in. I love the game, but the more I play, the more frustrated I become. Has anyone else had this experience, and can someone help me find a way to get through the game more enjoyably? Any ideas help at this point.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
It's a great game, but tbh, it's one of my least favorite Zeldas. Only tip I can give is to be more patient and let things take their time. I totally agree with the lack of knockback issue, that has screwed me over multiple times

ALttP can be pretty rough, at times it feels like everything is out to get you.

I first played it when it was new and have spent most of my life with it so I'm used to it at this point. Just stay on the defensive and don't try to rush anything. The boomerang is always useful in a pinch, try and stun things with it from a distance and follow it up with arrows.

A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda title, but it's also the one I've been playing and revisiting for the longest, so I've grown accustomed to the way it plays. I remember my first time in the Misery Mire was the absolute worst thing ever, and now it's one of my favorite dungeons in the game. While I still dislike the Skull Woods, optimizing the shortest route in that nonlinear wallmaster hell has saved me a lot of frustration in following playthroughs.

I feel like a really important part to the combat is the spacing. It's a lot easier to avoid being hit, and getting stuck in a spot where you'll be hit, if you get the feel for how far away you can stand from an enemy and still hit them with your sword. Since the sword pushes most of them away after being struck, if you get the feel for this, then you can time your swing for when they get back into that range. It's not the most exciting combat, but there's some fun mixups you can do with items and such once you're comfortable with the enemies you're facing. After you get the hookshot, it's actually a great item for both offense and defense, as it has a similar effect as the boomerang on some enemies, but is stronger than the boomerang and can kill. And the range is quite comfortable. Those dumb jellyfish are perfect victims for the hookshot; takes them out from a safe distance without having to wait for the right time to hit them. It's the item I always keep equipped if I'm not using another item. You can also stall (and kill) enemies with your sword beams until you get hit, and that can be a very valuable tool at certain times, since your chances of being hit from that range are pretty slim.

I don't really personally have issues with the magic meter outside of the boss of Turtle Rock, but if you ever need magic potions, just throw an empty bottle into the Waterfall of Wishing. The fairy there will give you magic potions for free. Dungeons should have some pots that refill your meter every so often, and I believe late dungeons that require lots of magic use like Turtle Rock will give you full refills at certain points. But outside of that, I'd recommend rationing your magic use until you get to the dungeon boss. Just avoid the antifairies (the flying skull things), cuz they eat your magic. If you're lucky enough to get them with the magic powder (which is kind of hard and I would say to only try like three sprinkles if you miss because then it's just a frenzied waste of magic), they'll turn into actual fairies and then you don't have to deal with an annoying thing flying around the room.

I try to get by playthroughs by just using my bottles for fairies, but it's mostly out of convenience and laziness since they're easier to come by than stopping to buy potions. The potions are definitely available to make things easier though, but I can agree that stopping to get refills on them can get very tedious with repetition.

I hope your experience with the game gets better. It's definitely a game that aged in a lot of ways, but holds up in others.

Last edited:
Thank you all, that's really helpful! I really like the game, I just have been having a hard time getting through the combat, so your advice is really helpful!

MW7

I definitely struggled a lot my first playthrough of the game. It has a big learning curve. Find as many bottles as you can and refill them with fairies. I highly suggest just looking up where bottles are, where the bug catching net is if you haven't found it, where fairy fountains are, and how to fast travel if you haven't found that yet. Once you have this information, it should take a couple of minutes at most to refill.

Another trick that can make the game much easier is to leave dungeons once you find the dungeon item. A certain item unlocks a stronger sword, and once you have that, the bosses and enemies become more manageable. The only combat trick I use is constantly charging a spin attack. I don't know if it's real, but it seems like you sword reaches a bit farther when you release the spin. More than anything else though, the combat just takes practice.

ALttP is the Zelda game I've played and beat the most (I got it when I was recovering from surgery when I was 12, I'm 40 now) so it's hard for me to put myself in that headspace of nearly 30 years ago since I can almost 100% the game without dying with my eyes closed. If you're having problems with the combat, I'd suggest carrying more fairies, It's not a full health refill, but it's at least an instant revive when you die. I'm not sure if you got the magic meter upgrade or sword upgrade at that point.

Having to backtrack to refill your resources is an annoying tick about the older Zelda games.
Yeah, ALLTP is pretty frustrating. For me, only Skyward Sword had more complicated dungeons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom