• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Does Anyone else Feel Skyward Sword Lacked a Cohesive Storyline?

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I feel that from the get-go it was nothing but running around collecting objects. I know that that it the basic premise of most LoZ games but there is usually such a built up backstory to the whole quest that you don't feel as if you are going from one side quest to the next.

Don't get me wrong, in general I did like this game. However, I feel that the links between who the characters were and there relationships was not reflected throughout the cutscenes. Like in TP when Link is resotring Ilia's memory or you're receiving back story on the 'Dark Tribe' those cutscenes added to my overall enjoyment of the game. In Skyward Sword, they were nothing more than a means to relay exposition on exactly what you should be doing and exactly where you needed to go. Even in LA or MC, more than just exposition was relayed through the dialogue.

Did anyone else feel this way?

I believe they lacked with Fi and Demise. The storyline was good but Fi had no emotion so I never really grew to like her. So when she left at the end I was like meh. Demise to me is a rip off of Ganondorf except extremely ugly. I did think they lacked as to why Ganon shows up in other games and Ganon's origin. Everything else in the storyline was epic, the gameplay still makes me play it even though I am finished the game. But I can't say that Skyward sword is one of my absolute favorites. Ghirahim died and Impa too, that's why I almost disliked this storyline.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
@AlwaysNamedLink: Ganon's Origin and existence tangles with the fact that he is Demises hatred.
That's right! Demise said he would live on forever no matter what form he would take...it would be his hatred driving it.

I did think they lacked as to why Ganon shows up in other games and Ganon's origin. Everything else in the storyline was epic, the gameplay still makes me play it even though I am finished the game.

I definately think the gameplay and inventiveness (the time shift orbs) made up for the lack of interpersonal relationships between the characters but the Zelda/Link cutscenes were slightly over done. What about the Sheikah? Past Impa barely said 2 words to link...I would have liked to learn more about their race and I would have liked a bit of back story for Ghirahim. Zant at least had an epic reason for his madness. Ghirahim not so much.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great storyline. Fi was meant to be emotionless and analytic. Demise, if you read his analysis, says that he'll appear differently to everyone in order to be more menacing. His hatred gets reincarnated, that just makes the preexisting hatred in Ganondorf that much more. Ganondorf isn't Demise, he just has more hatred because of him. I think you're just becoming climatized to the Zelda formula.

They meant to change things up a little in this game, and they did, ever so slightly while keeping true to the formula. And how did Ghirahim not have reason for his madness... He had plenty and he even explained that as part of his personality... Zant was just a madman from the start.

It was a very touching story, even tugging at my heartstrings which is really hard to do... It definitely had a strong connection between Link and Zelda, which is what they were going for in this game, it was your driving force.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It has more than a cohesive story. In fact, it's one of the thickest stories Zelda's had yet. There's just way more side-content than usual in Zelda that can be done along the way. It's much like The Elder Scrolls in that sense. If you play through just the story and don't get any upgrades, you'll see just how much plot development there truly is.

The storyline was good but Fi had no emotion so I never really grew to like her. So when she left at the end I was like meh

Really? I found it rather emotional that she'll always be with Link's spirit and that in every game (that includes the Master Sword) she was with us the whole time.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think it had a pretty darn good storyline. Not my favourite, that is TP, but definitely one of the best. I think some things could have been done better with cutscenes, like when zelda tells you of demise they should have shown him wrecking the land in a cutscene.

at least final form of demise is better then the imprisoned

i find him fun the 1st time but 3 time the same boss is too much for me and he really didn`t have the shape of a final boss, happy that we got our little friend akuma to make a cameo...just kidding aniway, game had flaws but still an exellent game

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Maybe I'm getting you confused with Vanitas
You are ;)

SS' story was pretty well done in my opinion. It had the whole "chasin' mah gurlfren" theme to it, so there was excellent buildup and suspense. Some of the main plot, such as forging the True Master Sword, felt a little bit...tacky, in a way. It seemed as if it was rushed, though not to the sense of a certain boss character in Twilight Princess.

Overall, the main quest of SS felt completely separate from the sidequests, and although things like the Sacred Flames and obtaining the Triforce felt more like fetchy fetch quests rather than heroic feats, they still rolled along well with the overall story. My own personal hate is attached to the characters, not the story itself.

To put that last bit in clearer terms:
The story as it is was well done. The characters, while they didn't do what I personally wanted them to do, lent themselves well to the story. Even dry, emotionless Fi was able to evoke SOME emotion out of the player at the end (well...not to me, but to the GENERAL player anyway). I don't like the characters' roles, but they still shaped a pretty good story.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Skyward Sword's storyline, i believe, is the best storyline I think I've seen in a Zelda game. Just the premise of it -- Zelda falling below to you forging the Master Sword to going back in time to The Land of the Past -- it was all just... cool. I liked how the Silent Realms where trials to prove you were the Goddess' Chosen Hero. Also, learning The Song of the Hero was cool. Honestly, forging the Master Sword seemed very.. tacky... but they played it off very well. I liked how, in the credits, you saw Zelda's journey through the land below... and just the fact that they added that shows that Link was actually chasing someone... which also leads into -- the fact that Link cares for Zelda and just dove headfirst into trouble to save her shwos that Link has emotions; he's not an empty shell like he was in earlier games.

I liked how developed MOST characters where; I felt as though they were real people and I was merely peering into their life. I like how Ghirahim talked about his "Master" form early on, and Demise wasn't just added to the storyline like Ganondorf was in Twilight Princess. Speaking of Demise, he was a cool final boss! Kind of easy actually, but cool nonetheless. And, even though Demise talks about his hatred being reborn, I don't think he's referring to Ganondorf... but Djinn explained that in another Skyward Sword thread. :xd: Fi was not only a great sidekick, I think she was the best. She can tell you anything and everything you need to know; from your Play Time to how many of a certain enemy you've defeated. Just the fact that Fi was so full of knowledge made me like her more than Midna, and Midna became hot at the end of Twilight Princess!! :lol:

All these characters mixed with a great and often funny storyline makes Skyward Sword the best Zelda game to date. Yes, I believe it outshines Ocarina of Time by far!! Go Skyward Sword!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom