• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Doctor Who Season Finale

Crono

Hylian Rebel
Who else was disappointed by the outcome of this episode?

The Doctor finally returning to Gallifrey for a very underwhelming outcome and Clara coming back to life despite the emotional death scene.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Personally I thought they dragged the whole Clara scene for TOO LONG! They should have given her a respectable exit. But instead they didn't. It turned into a Clara dead, Clara alive, Clara dead, Clara alive thing. Plus she and ME got a tardis and took the long way to Gallifrey....... meh meh meh. The season was OK. I liked it. But the final was bull****.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
I liked the reference about him going to Gallifrey the long way as hinted earlier by the 11th Doctor and I think Clara was a more of a companion with 11 as well, his goodbye to her in Deep Breath was surprising.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Ugh. I like Clara. I really do. I think her end with "Me" was a nice touch. But you can't let Gallifrey come second like that.
And why shouldn't you ;) It's your own opinion and it should be! I personally disliked her last season but liked her in this season. What I didn't like is how the Doctor went against his own rules and shot a man, forcing them to regenerate and was willing to blow up the Universe because of Clara. it's so not him. But on the other hand Ten went far to see and talk to Rose one more time at the end of season 2. I just wish they would stop leaving open ends for a possible return.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
At the first runthrough I wasn't too keen on the season finale, because I felt it ruined Clara's sacrifice, then I watched it again with my flatmate and I actually ended up appreciating it much more - though I still dislike the ending, because while Clara will have to go back, she can also seemingly put off her death indefinitely, which just makes the whole thing a bit pointless.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
And why shouldn't you ;) It's your own opinion and it should be! I personally disliked her last season but liked her in this season. What I didn't like is how the Doctor went against his own rules and shot a man, forcing them to regenerate and was willing to blow up the Universe because of Clara. it's so not him. But on the other hand Ten went far to see and talk to Rose one more time at the end of season 2. I just wish they would stop leaving open ends for a possible return.

At the first runthrough I wasn't too keen on the season finale, because I felt it ruined Clara's sacrifice, then I watched it again with my flatmate and I actually ended up appreciating it much more - though I still dislike the ending, because while Clara will have to go back, she can also seemingly put off her death indefinitely, which just makes the whole thing a bit pointless.

Right before i go into my own rantful opinion ^^ i wanna correct you Nessy, He wasn't willing to plow up the universe, the fact he literally spent 4 billion years in grief for Clara sent him waaay off the rails, of course he's gonna shoot the guy who killed his friend and imprisoned him for 4 billion years, it was the fact that Clara died which turned the Doctor into such a stubborn git, I do agree with ME/Ashildr's statement on the Hybrid it is a combo of the Doctor and Clara, his love for her allowed him to end Gallifreyian life he stood in the ruins of his people with two other people and i think that it's actually a combination of all three, Me allowed Rigsy to become the bait and she sided with the Quantum Shade, she was a literal accomplice in Clara's death.

Right now onto my actual thoughts on the finale, I loathe Clara during that crap with Pink, boo hoo he died but we literally see her pull a U-turnin this season (anyone else like Bonny the Zygon better than normal Clara) I don't like the fact that Clara keeps getting open endings, she died, she in fact performed a sacrifice which, if you are unlike me, left you teary, she died for a friend, that's the best than most of his recent companions. I didn't care for the Mind Wiping aspect, i thought the Doctor had a large resistance to all mental buggery like that, but nope that got retconned.

I loved Heaven Sent and i do think Capaldi was brilliant on his own in that one ^^, just damn i can't say anything negative because how often do we actually see JUST the main actor and the villain and the villain is silent? I loved the fact that we finally see what would cause the Doctor to lay aside his rules, the death of a close is not the closest friend. Clara Learnt is real name, stepped into his time stream and hell even helped to altar his personal history, what the hell did Amy and Rory do? One Died and the other would date themself in a heartbeat. I don't know about anyone else but i personally loved The Doctor finally getting his form of vengeance on those who caused the Time War and also The Doctor's Regeneration from 10th to 11th.

Hmm what else... ah yes as @Terminus says, you can't leave Gallifrey 2nd, christ the Doctor has been searching for his home for a Loooong time, ever since the day he realised he didn't kill them all in fact and then to just have them shunt it aside was quite frankly insulting, they went to a hell of a lot of effort to make the Citadel look freaking awesome and then nope we don't care it can go to hell. They literally built up Gallifrey from the 10th onwards more specifically "Gridlock"/"The Sound of Drums" making us want to see what they could do with Gallifrey we got a teaser of a destroyed Capitol in Day of the Doctor and then in Hell Bent we actually see Gallifrey as a whole and they just shunt it to the side. Kinda saddens me that they'd do that, Though i think they've left Galifrey's fate kinda Ambiguous, we know it's destroyed by Clara and The Doctor but it was also hidden at the end of time bar a system or two so i do think they have an opportunity to either bring in a brand new Dalek War, renewing the Time War (which is what i think) or destroy some other way or maybe even bring it back fully.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The Doctor has mourned a lot of times. I don't know if you've listened to the audio files but in The Eight Doctor's Adventures he mourned too for a very long time. But never ever did he turn that insane. Yes, I understand he mourned, I understand such a long time can do something to a person's mind but still, it is the Doctor. Shooting a man like he did and force him to regenerate is useless. I guess just don't like it :P The episode on itself was not bad but I just don't like the ending. It can go both ways with Clara. They should have given her a proper ending and not digging the dead back up again.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
And the Christmas special showed 12 giving River 10's Screwdriver...Guess he kept it? But I thought it was always the same just upgraded each time he regenerates.

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
And the Christmas special showed 12 giving River 10's Screwdriver...Guess he kept it? But I thought it was always the same just upgraded each time he regenerates.

I would think it was one he made specifically for her, including the hidden neural relay to save her.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I did like the Christmas special. I know there are some people on facebook who complain about it, but I did like it. It was a fun and beautiful story. One of my personal favs.

That christmas special was a cool one ^^, gotta feel bad for River, she knew what Darillium meant to her and the Doctor.

Dan

Good to hear others enjoyed the Christmas special. I personally found it pretty meh myself. The plot wasn't great nor all that interesting and it wasn't really comical to me which is what I was hoping for when I first saw the trailer. I did love the note placed on the outside of the Tardis door, "Christmas carolers will recieve criticism" or something written along those lines. I think this Doctor is funniest when he's being a grumpy old man.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I loved the Christmas special. The first part was a fun romp (though I could do without the initial introduction of Hydroflax where River was playing up to the masses - however it was kinda worth it just to get the interaction between River and the Doctor right afterwards), but what really made the episode for me were the last 20 minutes. That part really messed with my emotions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom