• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Do You Wish Pokemon Was More Open-ended?

I just made that thread asking if you think the Professors give you pokemon too fast, but that got me thinking.

Do you wish you had more choices to your game? I've been playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 recently, and it has a karma system that affects your powers. I was just thinking if Pokemon added something along those likes. Then your Rival could be the opposite of what you choose. For example, people can ask you for help and you can mess with them. Or the Rival in GSC steals the Pokemon, maybe YOU can steal the Pokemon. I don't know, I just always think Pokemon games are too straight-forward and adding a Karma system would be fun.

Obviously it won't happen. Do you think it should have more choices? How do you think they should be implemented?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Interesting thread, and quite a quirky concept you've provided; however, I don't think the Pokémon franchise would be suitable for this. It would be neat to see how it would work out, but I see it doing more harm than good. If anything, this concept would more or less be suited for a spin-off game.

Yes, I kind of wish Pokemon was more open-ended, but then when pressed for how it should be, I draw a blank. I'd love for Pokemon to become a wide, open world where you can go wherever and do whatever, as is implied in the anime, but translating this freedom to the game world is difficult. If all Gym Leaders have set levels, the game becomes linear-minded and inconvenient anyway. If Gym Leaders have levels that match yours, you can no longer fall back on the solution of grinding, although perhaps that would be a good thing meant to promote strategy.

It's a complex question with even more complicated answers, so it can't be solved in a paragraph or two. Being truly open-ended requires a deep, carefully-thought-out system to take all parts of the game into consideration. Maybe it's time I get to brainstorming.

In general, yes, I wish Pokemon was more open-ended. I just can't figure out how to do it without inconveniencing some other part of the game.

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
Wow a karma system would add alot to the games and id also like more choices to be added to the games as well, in the sense you are given more freedom to complete your journey and take on your own goals but hey this is a PKMN game its not meant to be that in depth cause really the selected audience is what 14 and under?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom