• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Watch TV Anymore?

This was a topic I was discussing with some guys at lunch earlier this week and with several members in the Rare Selda Voice Chat which I thought I'd bring here.

Television was the defining medium of the 20th century. While the Internet slowly cropped up to steal its storm, poor dial up connections prior to only several years ago hampered the ingenious new medium for awhile. With large downloads now practical and quick computing speeds, the television now seems pointless. Why maintain a rigid viewing schedule when you can see whatever you desire at leisure?

This is the reason why I've transitioned away from television. Save for some exclusive programming it's no longer convenient nor worthwhile to utilize a dedicated device when the multipurpose computer, tablet, phone revolution has swept the globe. This is a tad hypocritical as I continue to purchase dedicated game consoles but these feature proprietary formats exclusive to those systems. A greater level of immersion is also allocated through the controller.

But enough ranting from me. I'd like to hear your side of the story. Is the tube traditionally on or off at your place? When you do watch TV is it for news or specific programming? Do you regularly watch videos on the Internet instead? Discuss.

Besides sporting events and the like...No. I don't. I use Netflix for the vast majority of my viewing. Other online services make up the rest. I can't stand watching TV anymore with constant and grating ad blitzes pounded into your head over and over. Even websites that do put commercials and ads in usually only do one per break, maybe two at most, so it makes it at least a little bit better. I also purchase DVDs for series I really enjoy and want to watch over and over.

Last edited:

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I do watch TV for Food Network, Spongebob, and other cartoons at night. I also watch TV whenever I feel like it. I don't like to watch TV too much. It actually doesn't bring my attention like it used to.

bunny

birb overlord
Well, I watch stuff on the TV, but not through cable or satellite or anything. If I watch TV, I'm probably using a DVD, Netflix, or Hulu PLUS.

It's like you said, it's just not convenient anymore. Why would I wait for what I want to come on when I can easily just look it up and watch it whenever I want? Not to mention the ads. While most sites that have shows on them contain ads before watching a video, there are ad blockers for computers. Televisions don't have that ability.

The only downside is that you can't get most stuff in HD on a computer. Other than that, I'd be fine if my parents ever decided to trash our television.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
No, not really. I already sort of went over this in another thread. Video games and internet are more interactive, and therefore more entertaining. I only dutifully watch two TV shows – My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Legend of Korra – and even then I only watch them on an actual television whenever I have the chance. If I see it on, I'll switch to it. If I know it's coming and happen to wake up early enough – great, I'll turn it on. But usually I just view episodes online.

I think part of the problem is that the only TV that belongs to me alone and isn't my parents' is a tiny thing older than me with a screen that's literally smaller than my iPad but is about ten times heavier. Everyone else in the family takes our other two television sets.

Bottom line: no. I don't. I prefer the internet.

Dan

I rarely watch tv at all now. I will only tune in to some shows such as Doctor who if I'm really wanting to watch it straight away. Vanessa knows I was running around trying to get my tv set up again just to watch it because I hadn't had my tv active in years. If I want to watch a tv series I'll just stream/download it online.With the internet I'm not restricted to watch certain programs at certain times. I can literally watch anything I want when I want. Even with a not so fast internet connection I still favor it over tv. TV is going to be a thing of the past soon, really glad we are getting internet on our tvs now. Hmm that' kind of confusing I mean television in the traditional sense. I really love the internet, since I love seeing what "amateurs" have cooked up as well, and sometimes I'll prefer watching some amateur youtube series over some tv series. To answer your question I don't watch tv anymore, unless it's for something I really want to watch, and that's very rarely.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I am all about the TV-shows. Sadly I live in a country where I have the choice of either waiting until our network gets new episodes (often months and months after they aired in the states) or finding ways through the internet of watching the episodes instead, so because of that I more often watch things on my computer than on the actual TV. But there are plenty of reality-based shows (not talking about what we consider to be "reality tv", but more programs about real people rather than people willing to do absurd things for fame) that I watch, like programs about design, building/decorating homes, and various documentary-type programs and series. So for fictional shows I more often use the computer for quicker access to new episodes, and for more real life type programs, I use the TV.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I have very distinct television viewing hours. I know what I want to watch and when it comes on. The TV goes on when the show does, it goes off when it's over. TV isn't even good for background noise.

And paying for cable is a waste. Cable television is all garbage. Network television has twice and again better programming than anything on cable. The Mentalist, Person of Interest, Castle, and Grimm are the only shows I watch right now. Hate is a strong word but I HATE commercial advertisements and I HATE the news with a blazing passion. Commercials get muted and I avoid the news like the plague. Local, national, or international. The news media infuriates me to no end. Ain't got time for that.

So, yes, television is still good you just gotta know where to look. Very little on tv interests me anymore other than those few shows that I watch religiously.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
The only TV shows I really watch are Adventure Time and The Walking Dead. I don't really watch The Walking Dead because I really want to all that much, it's really just because other people in my family love the freaking show, and I watch it with them usually because I don't have anything better to do. I do watch Adventure Time attentively, however, because I think that it's the single greatest show ever made.

izi

Not A Wizard
I don't find myself watching TV very often. I record The Walking Dead every Sunday night and watch it on Monday and... That's about it. That's how it's been for a few years. If there's important news, I'll look at my local news website. I have Netflix. I can watch the shows for free online. The only reason I have cable television is because it was cheaper to get a bundle than just phone/internet.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
I still watch T.V every now and then if something of interest is on, certainly not as often as I used to though, especially when in my room as I don’t get any of the good channels due to lack of a cable box. But I have video games for when I’m in my room, could just use my Wii U to come here even, so overall I don’t make a big deal about it.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Yes, I still watch TV. I don't have Netflix or anything like that, and I need to stay up to date on one of my favorite shows, The Big Bang Theory. <3 Also, for me, it's easier to walk away from than the Internet. If I know I need to do homework or chores and I go on my computer, nothing is going to get done. I'll get distracted and vegetate in front of that screen for hours. However, if I watch TV, it's easier for me to self-discipline myself, and do the things I need to do.

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
Haha, I think I stopped when Spirit Tracks came out. I've been too busy fangirling over new Zelda games and of course, playing all of the Mario remakes to even think about TV.... I'm usually awake early in the morning or late at night watching Perry Mason though, so I guess that's a flaw in my little plan huh.... oh well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom