• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do You Want ZeldaU to Be a Light-Hearted Game or Dark?

H

Hyrule's-Hero

I want to see a dark story. Something like MM. I don't want to see the disney fairy-tale story we got in SS.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
How about a happy medium? I don't want everything to feel all doom-and-gloom while I'm playing, nor do I want it to feel like a Disney fairy tale. Though I don't understand how you can call Oot a 'light-hearted' game. What about the well? The shadow temple? Castle-town after the seven years? The death of that solider? To me, Oot was that happy medium, and I want to see the next game have the same feel.

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
I'm actually looking forward to a more dark game. No, not because I'm just that guy, but because I feel like the whole dark setting loans to the "saving the world from darkness" feeling. At best, in WW, I was mildly annoyed with the Forsaken Fortress. That being said, in TP and MM, you're constantly reminded that you can either save the world or die trying, because the alternate is probably worse.

ILU

i luv u
I don't want it to be one-sided. Light-hearted whimsy is ideal in a Zelda game because it's better for absorbing all the experiences you have exploring Hyrule (or Termina or Koholint or Holodrum or whatevertheheck) in a memorable, positive way. But too much light-heartedness will make the game stale, and it will get in the way of experiencing serious, emotional moments. Likewise, too much darkness becomes stale and corny, and after a while you'd just be rolling your eyes.

There needs to be a balance. Serious moments like witnessing a couple deciding to spend their last moments together. Joyful moments like waking the person closest to you from their thousand-year slumber. Having chills down your spine while creeping around a torture chamber hidden away underground or within a hidden temple. Soaring freely through the air at top speeds and exploring remnants of an old, forgotten temple.

A Zelda game that is just dark (TP) or just light-hearted (PH/ST/(SS?) ) never feels completely satisfying. In fact, I think the only two that have really been either very dark or very light-hearted and have been very enjoyable were Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening, and I think the only reason they were able to do it was because they were both incredibly unique to a series that was already unique as a whole. I think it's rare, and I'd rather see a wonderful mix of the two than a failed attempt at trying to recreate their mostly-dark or morely-light-hearted successes.

Zelda-Rocks

The King of all Rocks
I'm thinking dark 70% light 30%. Twilight Princess was an awesome game. Majora's Mask was maybe a little bit to dark in some areas. like that whole bit with skull kid 'disposing' of epona.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Although it is my least favourite artstyle, I'm going to have to say that this game should follow the example of Twilight Princess. The graphics shown off at the Tech Demo, combined with a dark theme, in HD, would be amazing! But only so long as it fits with the game. It worked in Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask because they had dark stories, so Zelda U should follow suit.

I don't see Nintendo ever being able to top Majoras Mask in terms of darkness. That game was literally nightmare fuel incarnate.

Regardless, I think this whole debate of darkness vs. lightness is Zelda is rather silly. Each game has its own share of both, even if some fall on one side more than the other. In the end, I'll always see Zelda as a primarily lighthearted series, which takes occasional and often dramatic dives into dark material.

Also, a Zelda game doesn't need muted graphics like Twilight Princess in order to be dark. Majora's Mask was just as colorful as Ocarina of Time, after all.

Last edited:
...Neither? :)
A good story uses one extreme well, while a great and epic story melds both light and dark and creates harmony between the two with both tone and visuals. I'm hoping for something that has me laughing and feeling good one moment and shaking in my seat or crying the next! That's pretty much how life in general works... you never know what will happen next.

As far as graphics go, I'd like something between TP and SS. Vibrant fantasy with detail, like the new SSB Link. Personally I think that graphics should fit the story that's being told, which I trust Nintendo with, but that is my dream ^_^

I want to see a dark story. Something like MM. I don't want to see the disney fairy-tale story we got in SS.

SS had its moments too. For example, a lot of Ghirahim's dialogue was rather dark and sadistic, especially towards the end of the game.

Just don't make it like Majora's Mask OK? That game was depressing. Even when you help someone, you play the song and they are doomed yet again, don't play the song and you're all doomed anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom