• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you want Zelda Switch to be cel-shaded?

Cel-shading for Zelda Switch

• Yay

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
No. The cel-shading ruined the detailed models in Skyward Sword and honestly wasn't much better in Breath of the Wild (the Wind Waker family gets a pass because they were more cartoony). I want the next Zelda game to have a slightly more realistic look. No more paper-mâche trees or hideous NPCs; but they don't need to go full-blown Horizon: Zero Dawn or Tomb Raider. Just something that doesn't look like it came out of a DreamWorks film is good enough.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
we have had a nice break from cell shading styles like WW (at least on console, not DS). i think it may be time to pull out the ol' toon' link concept art and make a new revised version, maybe just some subtle changes, and see how it works out!

No more cel-shading or cartoony graphics please. That style was great but it overstayed its welcome. As much as I loved TWW's look, no Zelda game has been able to nail the cartoony cel-shaded style since then, so I definitely think it's time for the series to move on. SS looked ugly to me, and while I loved BotW's graphics because of the breathtaking landscapes, I felt the character models looked bland and even a little out of place as a result of the cartoony cel-shaded visuals.

The Wii U Zelda demo's look was fantastic, no real Zelda game has ever looked that impressive, so I definitely want the next 3d game to go with that style.

Last edited:
I don't mind the toon shading, but I would prefer a more hybrid approach. BotW came close, but the textures suffered immensely in order to accommodate the toon shading when it wasn't necessary at all. The toon shading is not art art style; it's exactly what it sounds like, a shading style. There's no reason to simplify textures just because the shading is simple. More detailed texture with few shading values can potentially be a good combination if executed right, and I would not be opposed to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom