• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Want To Go Beyond Hyrule?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
So, Breath of the Wild 2 is gonna be in the same 'world' as the original. Everyone assumes it to be the same Map.

But what if it, rather, the 'same world' meant being the same setting, lore and thematic universe? And not the map? Nobody said anything about not having the possibility to go to other places.

A thought I've often had is about the first 2 Zelda games. In Zelda 2, we learn that Zelda 1 was actually the 'southern' part of Hyrule, and now we're in the northern part. What if BotW2 had us go to an entirely different area than the Hyrule we see in the original? Do you want that?

If the game does come out in, say, mid-2021, that makes about 4 years since development started, which I think would be enough time to develop a 'second' Hyrule, that obviously is not as big as the first one, but still something significant.

What do you think?

I'd like to go elsewhere, or at least another part of Hyrule.

There are places in BotW we can see but not go to. Hyrule is surrounded by water on the east and south sides. But it is connected to a larger land mass to the north and west.

What I'd quite like is to see another part of Hyrule or the world in which it is set and have BotW1's map be open to us at the end of the game or in post.

I think that would be really cool.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I'd like to see a new country neighboring Hyrule that doesn't get the "oh no no it's just an ALTERNATE DIMENSIONSSSS" but the massive trench in the north and west say that's not happening.
I'd really love to see something resembling a greater world beyond Hyrule in the modern era of Zelda.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I want to go beyond Hyrule. There’s a sea to the right of the Map, there’s probably all sorts of islands out there.

And there’s the gorge in the top left corner. I wonder whats across it...

And the trailer shows underground, so I’m excited to explored areas like that.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It would make sense to let us explore beyond Hyrule at some point, whether it's during the game from the start, part of a postgame section, or just a DLC expansion.

That said, I also want to see the BotW world we know and how it has changed. Perhaps new settlememts have been made, there are a lot more NPCs, and even the villiages we have been to have grown. So as much as I want an area beyond Hyrule to explore, I still want to see the changes to the world we were introduced to in BotW.

Off the top of my head, I know for a fact that Majora's Mask takes place in Termina meanwhile Oracle of Ages occurs in Labrynna and Oracle of Seasons occurs in Holodrum. So, Hyrule hasn't always been the setting for every Legend of Zelda game.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Sounds great to me. They have to change something to make it interesting compared to the first game.

Magolor04726

Hum dee doo
I want to go beyond Hyrule. There’s a sea to the right of the Map, there’s probably all sorts of islands out there.

And there’s the gorge in the top left corner. I wonder whats across it...

And the trailer shows underground, so I’m excited to explored areas like that.
Yyyyeahhh… I tried to cross that gorge... It, uh... didn't end well.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Absolutely yes.

For a series as longlived as Zelda, it's amazing just how little world building the series has. No country outside of Hyrule has been mentioned (outside of the old comics) and everything that could have been a neighboring country is relegated to the role of an alternate dimension or a dream sequence.

Absolutely yes.

For a series as longlived as Zelda, it's amazing just how little world building the series has. No country outside of Hyrule has been mentioned (outside of the old comics) and everything that could have been a neighboring country is relegated to the role of an alternate dimension or a dream sequence.

What about Labrynna and Holodrum from the Oracle duology? Hyrule is mentioned in Oracle of Ages and both games are definitely canon as they are acknowledged by Nintendo. Also, since Legend of Zelda is mainly a Medieval fantasy series, you should instead write "kingdom" in place of "country". A country is a new political concept, a kingdom would've been sort of like a country but not quite. Of course, we don't know where on the map that Labrynna and Holodrum would be in relation to Hyrule. We know that Link journeys to Labrynna from Hyrule in Oracle of Ages. Although the description of the game suggests it was the Triforce that sent him there either implying an alternate dimension, which is unlikely as Impa mentions Zelda by name and knows of Hyrule, or that Labrynna is very far from Hyrule and required the Triforce to teleport Link to the region. So, the kingdoms could potentially be separated by sea and I think this may indeed be the case because there is a beach in this game and the sea is mentioned in-game by others. That's just what I think though. I'm unsure about Holodrum.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
What about Labrynna and Holodrum from the Oracle duology? Hyrule is mentioned in Oracle of Ages and both games are definitely canon as they are acknowledged by Nintendo. Also, since Legend of Zelda is mainly a Medieval fantasy series, you should instead write "kingdom" in place of "country". A country is a new political concept, a kingdom would've been sort of like a country but not quite. Of course, we don't know where on the map that Labrynna and Holodrum would be in relation to Hyrule. We know that Link journeys to Labrynna from Hyrule in Oracle of Ages. Although the description of the game suggests it was the Triforce that sent him there either implying an alternate dimension, which is unlikely as Impa mentions Zelda by name and knows of Hyrule, or that Labrynna is very far from Hyrule and required the Triforce to teleport Link to the region. So, the kingdoms could potentially be separated by sea and I think this may indeed be the case because there is a beach in this game and the sea is mentioned in-game by others. That's just what I think though. I'm unsure about Holodrum.

Both Labrynna and Holodrum have that vague alternate dimension introduction. Rather than travel to them organically, Link is poofed there. No one mentions Hyrule, and there's still no mention of how those places fit into whichever larger world they're part of.

Both Labrynna and Holodrum have that vague alternate dimension introduction. Rather than travel to them organically, Link is poofed there. No one mentions Hyrule, and there's still no mention of how those places fit into whichever larger world they're part of.

Nah, Impa mentions Hyrule by name in Oracle of Ages and Link is referred to as a Hyrulean hero by others. I don't think it's an alternate dimension. At least, I don't think Labrynna is an alternate dimension but Holodrum may be an alternate dimension. And even if there's no mention of how these worlds fit into the greater universe of Legend of Zelda, I think it's nice that these worlds at least exist and there is civilization beyond Hyrule.

Nah, Impa mentions Hyrule by name in Oracle of Ages and Link is referred to as a Hyrulean hero by others. I don't think it's an alternate dimension. At least, I don't think Labrynna is an alternate dimension but Holodrum may be an alternate dimension. And even if there's no mention of how these worlds fit into the greater universe of Legend of Zelda, I think it's nice that these worlds at least exist and there is civilization beyond Hyrule.

The Hyrule Encyclopedia seems to think that both Labrynna and Holodrum are 'parallel worlds', just like Termina.
1200px-Worldzeldamap.png

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

The big issue is that there's no inter-connectivity between any of the worlds or countries. We have no idea how any of them relate or interact with one another (if at all). Hyrule might as well be the only inhabited part of whatever planet the series takes place on, because we just don't see anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom