• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Want the Realistic Zelda Tech Demo?

There has been some controversy over the graphical style of the 2011 E3 tech demo for Zelda. It may or may not be the graphical style of the next Zelda title. An example is the Wind Waker scenario. My question though is if you want it to be the graphical style? Instead of if you think it will be. Realistic graphics arent exactly my favorite graphical style; however, I still think it would be best if Nintendo went forth with this style at least for the next Wii U game. Simply, because I think it would make Zelda establish a larger fanbase since realistic graphics seem to be what matters these days according to the majority.

I honestly would like for the Tech Demo graphics to become those featured in the final Zelda Wii U product and avoid the controversy that occurred with the radical graphic alteration between Spaceworld 2001 and the release of The Wind Waker in 2003 with regards to the Gamecube.

Personally, this updated graphic style truly showcases the power of the new hardware. Don't get me wrong, Skyward Sword had a very respectable art style, however, Nintendo was compelled to use something along those lines due to the Wii hardware's lacking GPU. Graphics aside, what interests me the most is the lighting from the tech demo from last year's E3. Never before in a Zelda game have I seen such intricate effects with the shadows. The ability to change the time of day from day to night and vice versa only increases the appeal of that aspect of the tech demo. My mouth is just frothing at the future I would like to see for the franchise on consoles.

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
Personally, I hope Nintendo learned from their past mistakes and do go with a style close to the tech demo for the Wii U.

While I personally loved Winder Waker and its graphics, many fans were really disappointed with them after seeing the Space World demo in 2000. The N64 Zelda games broadened the fan base enormously, and some of those fans simply weren't on broad with WW's style. In some ways, I think Twilight Princess was made to correct this and to bring those disappointed N64 fans back using the more realistic graphics. Then, Skyward Sword worked on blending the two styles harmoniously. Again, while I really liked the Wind Waker's style, making the realistic demo and then using the cel-shaded style has been an issue for a decade now.

Besides, maybe this way it'll be produced soon in the system's lifetime, and it won't be one of the last great games on it. Heck, maybe we'll even go back to having two great games on one system! :)

OmenBlite

OmenBlite
I want the Artstyle from the demo for several reasons:
The style is still fresh
It'll get graphic *****s to stop bashing Zelda
It still maintains an artistic look
It looks great
It can bring the series new places

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I agree completely. While it's not necessarily my favorite style of graphics, I think it uses the Wii U's abilities to its fullest and would definitely attract some new fans.

Haha, pretty much what everyone else in this thread has said already.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Realistic graphics are the way to go, just don't disappoint the fans like the WW debacle. Also, liking realistic graphics doesn't make us "Graphics *****s," dummkopf.

I'm willing to endure whatever slings and arrows come from the haters. I like how Zelda graphics are creative, unique and pretty, and could be all the more beautiful in HD. I'm not against realistic graphics, but I would hate to stray too far from the creativity that I'm used to.

I thought the demo's graphics looked wonderful. I'd like it if Nintendo used the same ones. However, I like to be surprised on the artstyle of the games, so I wouldn't mind if it was different.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Yes, I do want the Tech Demo Graphics. They are stunning and I want realistic graphics in Zelda more often. 7 of the last 8 games have been cartoon games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom