• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Do you want Nintendo to provide achievements and trophies?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Recently my friends had a debate about why getting Nintendo is a bad idea vs great idea. One of my friends pointed out that Nintendo doesn't have any game achievements.

What are achievements?
An achievement is a meta-goal defined outside a game's parameters. In other words the pop ups that come out when you've done something difficult or different.

Why should a game have achievements?
A games achievements encourage the player to do stuff apart from the main quest or motivates the player to beat his personal best. This increases the time that each player spends in playing the game.
Not only that a leaderboard would be started to give gamers a competitive atmosphere and motivates them to come out at the top. Over evolution the consoles with achievements produced pro gamers just as a school with ranking system produces good students.

Now, Both of Nintendo's rivals have achievements for their consoles while Nintendo hasn't even given it a second thought.
This is a typical Nintendo "We don't give what fans want the fans would want what we give" attitude.
Achievements in Zelda can be like

Human Batreaux- collect all Gratitude crystals and show them to Batreaux
Hestu's Poop- collect all Korok seeds.
Hunter- Defeat a Lynel (This achievements will encourage people to fight a Lynel rather than using stealth or running away)

Will Nintendo release achievements in future?

I hope not.

I have consoles with trophies and achievements and I really don't like them.

I hate being in the moment in a game and then having a 'ding' distract me and an ugly box pop up in the corner.

The 'gamer score' is a lot of nothing too, it's just a number that doesn't do anything. It wouldn't be so bad if it could be used towards discounts or contests or something but it isn't. It's just for bragging rights and I hate that.

Having extra content or checklists to do are fine, and a lot of games come with their own and don't 'ding' and throw up ugly boxes, instead a lot of them keep their own to menus or results screens.

I've tried trophy hunting on Ps4 once before and a few of them have actually bugged out on me resulting in not getting the trophy, after wasting time for said trophy, to put it towards a score that doesn't do anything.

I hope Nintendo never go that route.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I agree with spirit here cuz i make my own sometimes bit if thay box dongs up im peed off ruined the flow pf the game..

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'd rather get a reward in the game I'm playing for achieving something in that game. For an example, completing the Ocarina of Time trading sequence and being rewarded the Biggoron Sword; it's the strongest sword in the game and will never break. Getting something cool in the game will always be better than some pointless trophy displayed on your account.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I'm alright with achievements/trophies, but at the same time I'm perfectly alright with Nintendo not implementing a system like that. It definitely isn't required to enjoy a game to its fullest, and sometimes there are achievements/trophies that are in there that I just go "k I'm never going to get that" (mostly online ones, lol), so hey, there isn't really anything lost by not having it.

Yes but just do them in game like how Animal Crossing does them so they become meaningful to earn, not just a pointless box ticking exercise.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
as someone who is kinda of a completionist, chievos are usually something that keep me more interested into a game, specially the ones that aren't story heavy, so eh, I guess that could be cool

I might see them doing that someday, but I don't see why people should care so much about something that is arguably just a small bonus/flex thing
if you're not a trophy hunter you should be playing the game because you like the game, not because of the trophies lmao

When the 3DS and later Wii U launched, I really wanted Nintendo to add achievements. I was really into getting them on the Xbox 360. But as I've grown older and find myself less invested in completing these arbitrary tasks with less time on my hands, I no longer feel achievements are such a good thing. I'll still do a few in each game but I no longer go for 100% regularly. I think Nintendo is doing just fine without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom