• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Want Another Platform Zelda

jack546

The chosen one
exacly what the title said do you want another platform zelda like adventure of link?

Djinn

and Tonic
I think the era of platform games in general is over. With the 3DS coming out and a port of OoT being one of the first games on the system, I doubt there will bee too many platformers. That said I doubt Nintendo would try it again with the Zelda series after the atrocity that was Zelda 2. Most players did not like that game and would not want to try it again. Even if the flaws of Zelda 2 were fixed.

Besides it has been well established that 2D Zelda games are top view to keep tradition with the original. I am a fan of the top view as well and would not want that to change with any new 2D games. Especially if you still have to play with the stylus.

I say no. I think it wouldn't be the same. Better yet I don't think it really would a Zelda game.

I think the era of platform games in general is over.

I wouldn't really say that, considering last year gave us DKCR, Kirby, Sonic Colours, all 2D platformers.
I'm guessing if they put 3D platformers on the 3DS, emphasis will be on depth. Pretty sure I read somewhere that they experimented with Yoshi's Island to test the idea out.

As for whether Zelda should go sidescrolling... Well I did rather enjoy the sections in Link's Awakening, and it'd be kind of cool to see that again, but a whole game? Probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Honestly I think Zelda should get some sort of spin off that strays a little from the norm. Practically every other game series has one (the Pokémon Ranger/Dungeon to the main games, the Kirby Power Paintbrush to the Dreamland, the Mario RPG/Sports Sim/racer to the typical platformer). The closest Zelda has is the Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland series, which, let's face it, struggles to appeal to the hardcore Zelda fans let alone newcomers.

So yeah, as a spin off, sure, but as a main game? Probably not.

YES! I thought Zelda II was far superior to Zelda I and most of the other top down zeldas, because it took skill... You had to know you're enemies and you had to block top or bottom and attack top or bottom. I think it was one of the funnest zelda games of all and I'd love to see another Zelda IIesk game. Anybody who didn't like zelda two didn't play it through fully.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Probably as a spin off game like a classic Mario game, but I'm pretty sure it will never happen. Like Djinn said, that era is over, and most of the games made will be 3D from now on (or until the next era takes over).

I honestly hope not, because Zelda as a platformer doesn't work for me. I think it's adventure-style is more suited to an exploration style game, and Nintendo already has its fair host of platforming games such as Mario and Kirby.

Also, I 100% disagree with the comment saying that platformers are dead.

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
I would not like a platformer because I am personally not very good at 'sidescrollers'. however if the game was to be like TP or OoT but at some parts to switch to a platformer that would be a very interesting concept. I am fairly sure metroid: the other M did this, and I wouldnt mind seeing that in SS.

green goron

Best of the Gorons
I think they could make it work if they take zelda 2's critism and fixed the flaws. If they ever made one it should be a spin off and if that does good then try to make an actual game. In my opinion fans didn't like zelda 2 because of it's difficulty and you needed to play it and master it to beat it. If they make a couple adjustments it could be good for a spinoff.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I've only played a very little bit of Adventure of Link but what I did play, it didn't feel like a true Zelda game. Not that I don't like it or there's anything WRONG with it, it's different. I just can't associate Link with leveling up and such.

Hazel

A Frog
Honestly? No, not at all. While Platform is awesome on some games, I don't think it would suit LoZ so well. I am sure, with 3DS coming out, that Platform will not be "in" any longer, and that it will be time for 3D games. The Legend of Zelda is very fun in it's present form, and also very popular. It would be useless, after the remake of OoT, to go a step BACK from that. I would not comprehend that. I am sure Nintendo realises that platform is, or will very soon be, a thing of that past, or for a few games only.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Point 1 to all saying it: Platforming is not dead. On Nintendo or any other system. Platform games are still being released at regular intervals. It just no longer dominates the market now we as a culture are learning to make solid use of 3D maps and polygons.

And its because of the growing 3D that I don't think we will see Link using a 2D platform mechanic again. Why do that when you could apply all of the mechanics to a 3D system and give Link better strategies to block, dodge and attack? Like WW's parry.

The freedom of movement that come from the top-down maps and the 3D environments are better to work with in a series like this than the tightrope walk that platform games set themselves up on.

It'd be interesting if they brought it back, even if just as a one-dungeon feature (or in a similar way they did it in Link's Awakening). But I don't see them doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom