• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Want a Sequel to Pokemon Snap?

Pokemon Snap was based on a brilliant premise of going through a guided course and snapping photographs of Pokemon as you passed by them, getting points based on proximity, technique, and position. While it was good fun and a unique idea, the game was too short and simple to show its potential, and no sequel has been released since.

Would you want to see a sequel to Pokemon Snap, larger than it was before or about the same size? Bonus question - should players go on a guided course through levels as they were, or allowed free roam?

This post may be redone when I learn exactly how the poll system works, but for now I'm interested in hearing everyone's answers.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Yah that seems like a very good idea i think it should be on a corse but you are able to plan the corse.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I don't really want a sequel for Pokemon Snap but i'm not against it. From what I've watched of the game it's just taking pictures of pokemon and your goal is to take pictures of mew... I think.

Yes, it'd be bloody fantastic with the WiiU pad and the panoramic view, it'd be the best puzzle game and pokemon game ever! Especially in HD! Make it! Make it nooooooooow, i've been waiting so long.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Would you want to see a sequel to Pokemon Snap, larger than it was before or about the same size? Bonus question - should players go on a guided course through levels as they were, or allowed free roam?

Would I want a sequel? Absolutely, but I'm afraid they might botch it. Think, its been about 10 years or so since the release of Pokémon Snap, last thing I want is them to make a sequel and have it stand no match to it's predecessor. A great example being Super Mario Galaxy 2 compared to Super Mario Galaxy. The first game was phenomenal, outstanding, and unique like no other. The second game was just.... well.... bleh, bland, and boring (imo).

I believe the player should be able to roam freely, but have some levels/areas be set on a guided course. Therefore giving a balance between linearity and non-linearity. This would allow the player to find secrets, shortcuts, and Pokémon that can't be found elsewhere in the game. That's just me, I'm sure others have better ideas or more in-depth opinions than I.

I don't really want a sequel for Pokemon Snap but i'm not against it. From what I've watched of the game it's just taking pictures of pokemon and your goal is to take pictures of mew... I think.

Pokemon Snap is basically one of those games you have to play for yourself to truly understand. The premise is simple and the game is short, but it's easy to get hooked onto taking better pictures, beating scores, discovering new Pokemon and new techniques, and composing an album of your favorite photos. I'm not entirely sure I can fully recommend the game for the Wii's Virtual Console because of its brevity, but you won't find a similar game anywhere.

Yes, it'd be bloody fantastic with the WiiU pad and the panoramic view, it'd be the best puzzle game and pokemon game ever! Especially in HD! Make it! Make it nooooooooow, i've been waiting so long.

Both the Wii U and the 3DS would make excellent use of Pokemon Snap's features. The 3DS could take pictures in stereoscopic 3D, and its built-in gyroscope could allow players to actually move the handheld to aim and take photos if they so desired. The Wii U, on the other hand, supports HD graphics and also has a gyroscope, and - this is completely conjecture - would make multiplayer functions easier to access. Motion controls with the Wii Remote could also increase the immersion. I agree with you; it's been well over ten years since a unique game with no equal, and there's been no talk of a sequel that would come so naturally.

Also, "bloody fantastic"? Just out of curiosity, are you British?

I believe the player should be able to roam freely, but have some levels/areas be set on a guided course. Therefore giving a balance between linearity and non-linearity. This would allow the player to find secrets, shortcuts, and Pokémon that can't be found elsewhere in the game. That's just me, I'm sure others have better ideas or more in-depth opinions than I.

That sounds like a good balance. Free-roaming allows for more options and control, but guided paths rely a bit more on strategy and timing. As musicfan suggested, drawing your own routes could add another layer to the game.

And for Nintendo, yes, I expect all current Pokemon in the game. The first game was a bit more acceptable in its small use of Pokemon because of the limited technology available (and probably low budget, if I'm not incorrect), but the 3DS and Wii U are powerful machines. It's going to require a lot more time and money, but it would be worth it, especially to those of us who experienced the first game.

Regardless of which system or mode of transport they use, I think Nintendo has every excuse to craft a sequel. Maybe we need an Operation Poke-Fall to bring the point up more.

L

Lolo-Haole

No, that game's gameplay wouldn't really play out well in a modern setting. Perhaps if they kinda revamped the old game to work with the 3DS's gyroscope they could make an interesting port, but the gameplay is too ancient to work nowadays.

That's not to say that if there was a sequel that I wouldn't buy it. I'm just saying I doubt it would be successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom