• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Vote?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
My state had an election yesterday and I voted online since I’m not in the country. In Australia voting is compulsory and you will receive a fine if you don’t show up to vote (there are some excuses/exceptions such as being overseas). It’s always held on a Saturday (with prepoll options available for a few weeks before for those who can’t show up on the day, plus mail vote options, or online options). Those who do turn up to vote can leave their card blank or draw some meme on it if they wish as long as they get their name marked off the roll.

Most other countries seem to have an optional voting system where you are not obliged to show up at all.

Do you have to vote? If not, do you choose to?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
For a long time we also would get a fine if we didn't vote but they changed that rule also a long time ago. So now it's totally optional. But I do vote anyway. I don't want my vote to be wasted or given to a party I don't support at all. We had elections a few days ago and the first thing I did after work was going to vote.

Dio

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
ZD Champion
Yes I do and voting is optional in this country.

Since 'no government' isn't ever an option on the papers I try to vote for the one that will be the least ****.

Misty

Ronin
I did once when I turned 18. I haven't since nor do I have any plans to. If they made it mandatory, I would pay the fine. They can present me with false choices and select my rulers...they just can't make me have to participate in that process.

Voting is optional here obv.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
i vote but half the time i don't know what im voting for... cuz theres no leaflets or easily accessible information...

the8thark

ZD Champion
I will say voting for myself was a different experience.

I would vote every time, even if it was not compulsary in Australia. I want a say is who's elected. Sure I don't agree with the voting system Australia uses but still I'll always vote.

I always participate in presidential and midterm elections in even numbered years here in the U.S. I think it's important to exercise the right to vote, even if it is optional. As for local elections, like for the school board here in my district, which is coming up, I only participate if it's relevant to me. As I no longer attend K-12 nor do I yet have kids of my own, I see no need to participate for now.

O Holy Ninja

bang!
Staff member
ZD Champion
I usually always like to cast a vote for my city, and country. However I did not vote last year because I could not support any of the Presidential candidates.

I will always go voting. If I do not know what to choose or do not endorse any of the choices I still would go vote but without marking any of the boxes.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
I vote when I have time, and I don't always make it to the polls every election. Work comes first.

I always try to vote out sheriffs, judges, and school boards. If they are doing their job, my vote won't matter. If my vote does matter, they don't deserve the office.

Otherwise? Honestly, it often comes down to which candidate I hate the least or think would be most amusing in office. Assuming there are multiple candidates. Rarely, if ever, is a true choice on the ballot.

Mellow Ezlo

Po-Tay-Toes
I do if I can. I think it's extremely important for everybody who cares about their place of residence to vote, lest they complain about political decisions from the side they dislike.

I was unable to vote for my provincial election until yesterday, as I just got my province ID, so as today is the last day of voting, I will definitely partake. Especially after seeing the polls. The current leader of the provincial conservative party is anti-feminist, pro-life, and doesn't support homosexual marriage, and the amount of people I know who are not voting are the reason this province could get screwed over after the election. So yes, voting is important, and I fully intend to vote to get Justin Tru-Don't out of office in the federal election later this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom