• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Use Afterpay/Credit Cards?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
As in the title, do you use deferred payment services or pay up-front for your shopping?

I don't own any credit cards or use any afterpay because I am afraid of debt and would rather just save for what I want to buy before I buy it.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Im the same i dont wanna be in debt and get confused about the cards so i have one debit card and thats all i need

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yes I use creditcards but not as much. You can buy tons of stuff with it but you also have to pay it back. So I usually pay with my own banking card but only when I know I can afford it.

Ninja

Well well well
As in the title, do you use deferred payment services or pay up-front for your shopping?

I don't own any credit cards or use any afterpay because I am afraid of debt and would rather just save for what I want to buy before I buy it.

I don’t believe in debt at all, I’m with ya. I would rather pay myself than the banks.

The borrower is slave to the lender. With so many people in credit card debt, car debt, and with America over a trillion dollars in student loan debt, there’s no way I’m putting myself at risk, even if I have the means to pay it off.

Anything I purchase is 100% of the time paid in cash/debit. If I can’t afford to do that, then I can’t afford the item at all.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have a credit card which I only use to get discounts at a certain store and then pay the money off right away. It gives you a good credit rating as well so that's why.

I don't borrow money I don't have and wouldn't like to get into the practice.

I thought allegro was just saving instead of getting debts from credit cards that you might not be able to repay.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
No, I do not and I probably never will. It's a shortcut to getting something, while its more rewarding to actually save the money. Also, it's probably easier to save aggressively when you don't have the object than when you already have it.

That being said, I'm not opposed to it in the case of like a car or something if you need it now and know you'll be able to keep up the payments.

MW7

I always use a credit card whenever possible and pay it off immediately. With rewards on some cards you can get percentage back so it's like a discount. Over the course of time and many purchases this can add up to a decent amount. I highly recommend using a credit card but never more than you can immediately pay off. This also helps you build credit for future purchases like a house and can save you money that you would pay on interest rates. Any amount of credit card debt being carried is catastrophically bad though. The interest you would pay if you hold a balance on a credit card is insane so you must pay it off each month.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I always use a credit card whenever possible and pay it off immediately. With rewards on some cards you can get percentage back so it's like a discount. Over the course of time and many purchases this can add up to a decent amount. I highly recommend using a credit card but never more than you can immediately pay off. This also helps you build credit for future purchases like a house and can save you money that you would pay on interest rates. Any amount of credit card debt being carried is catastrophically bad though. The interest you would pay if you hold a balance on a credit card is insane so you must pay it off each month.

Since posting this thread in 2018 my opinion on credit cards has shifted closer to this.

I’ve had a credit card for nearly a year now and paid it off each month to get the frequent flier points and build credit. I’d never buy something I couldn’t pay off right away with my wages and my savings are more than my credit limit anyway so I don’t really have to worry about overspending and falling into debt with it. The sign up bonus was something like 120,000 miles (much more than enough for a return trip to Tokyo, nearly two actually) for spending money I would have anyway. I’m looking to move to another card with a similar sign up bonus soon so I can rack up some more miles to make the fee more worth it.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Anything I purchase is 100% of the time paid in cash/debit. If I can’t afford to do that, then I can’t afford the item at all.

Ditto

The feeling of being in debt is much too horrible and psychologically taxing to me. It would feel as if I'm getting restricted, my only goal in life being to pay of that debt. I wouldn't feel free until I've paid it...

I almost exclusively pay in cash or debit. I will try to make a bit more purchases with credit in the coming years, however, to build up my credit history. Right now, I do not have much credit history, and I'll definitely need it to make some larger purchases, like buying a new car, in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom