• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Do You Think You're Awarded Pokemon Too Easily?

I couldn't think of a better title, it's probably a bit confusing.

Basically, in the beginning of (most of) the games, you're told to run over to the lab, then the Professor there will give you a Pokemon, no questions asked. Do you think they trust you too fast? I think it would be interesting if you had to do a few things for the Professor before they give you a Pokemon.

Of course there are some exceptions. Ruby and Sapphire, you swipe a Pokemon from Professor Birch and save him. Diamond and Pearl, Rowan forgets his bag and you swipe a Pokemon to defend yourself. But this is basically every other game.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I do think that they are quick to give you pokemon, but isn't that because the trainer that you are has known the professor for a long time?

I think that they should have you do more tasks before you get to choose a pokemon. Maybe more things like delivering packages, like in Pokemon Red and Blue.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Not necessarily. At the age of ten (10), children are expected to begin their journey as a Pokémon Trainer. They can't begin that journey without a Pokémon. Sure, they could make the player run around and do a series of tests before receiving their own Pokémon, but that -- to me -- sounds tedious and rather ridiculous. I don't see much of a problem with the professors 'awarding' newcomers with Pokémon as soon as they arrive at their respective labs.

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
What else would you have them do to begot an pokemon? I really couldnt think of a decent way of proving your ready to choose your partner other then running an errand which seems too easy and out of the way imo.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I honestly don't think there would be anything more fitting than the stereotypical introduction we're getting now. Opening the game up and getting your first Pokemon within the first five or so minutes of the game is simply iconic.

Night Owl

~Momentai
The point is that you've grown up knowing the professor. Often times your friend/rival is related to the professor.
Also what is there to learn that you don't learn from battling other trainers, finding the pokemon school, etc?

Getting your first pokemon and throwing you into your first battle is kinda the only way to start the game without feeling like there is extra stuff tacked on.

Your tutorial phase pretty much goes from the beginning through the first gym.
That is when you learn about catching pokemon, status problems etc.
I think pokemon actually does a good job of explaining things without feeling like a tutorial.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
Not at all. I mean, I'm pretty sure that you know them a bit, and when you don't RSE,DP, you absolutely need the pokemon. And I'm pretty sure they have a type of obligation to do this. Also, I don't really see any other way for someone to be introduced into Pokemon without having to at least battle a little.
(I don't remember clearly, but I believe starters were given to you as gifts)

Keeseman

Smash is Life
I don't think you should have to do too much to get your first Pokemon. Otherwise, it would wind up being kinda like the beginning of Twilight Princess.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Think of it this way: You want to go to school, but you need the necessary supplies first. You're not gonna go to school without at least taking a pencil. It's the same thing. To send somebody off on a Pokemon journey without a Pokemon is just like going to the hospital in a panic because you got a tiny scrape on your arm. It's a tease, basically. I guess in R/S/E and /D/P/Pl you actually use the Pokemon before they're given to you, but it's still quick.
Even Wally started his Pokemon journey prepared. Sure, he had to catch his own Pokemon first, but he had help. :wynaut:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom