• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think You Can Be Hypnotized?

Eh... I think getting into a trance is the most that could happen. I believe if you have a certain type of epilepsy, it may be possible. Why I say this is that a form of seizures that may occur involve getting up at night and doing things you would not remember or even recall doing (such as eating, walking, talking, etc...). Also, have you ever had those moments where you are so used to doing something, it is like second nature? When you don't even think about what you're doing anymore--I am aware that it often happens when people drive to work and such. Well, that is sort of being in a trance, but hypnotism... I don't think is exactly possible.

As for YouTube videos, the only ones I found to be interesting and worked were more of those optical illusion ones that made your surroundings altered and wavy. But is still not hypnotism.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Well, the thing about hypnotism is that you can't be hypnotized if you keep thinking "This won't work" the entire time.
It's not really about another person controlling you by force, you have to allow yourself to be open to suggestion.
Basically, if a hypnotist says "you can no longer move your left hand," and you can't really move it, then it's because you believe that you can't move it, rather than the hypnotist casting a spell to make your hand unmovable.
It's all mental; you can't be hypnotized unless you allow yourself to be hypnotized.
Contrary to popular belief, just because you allow yourself to be hypnotized doesn't mean you're mentally weaker or stupider than another person. It actually takes a higher mental state to allow hypno-therapy to work.
In short, the answer is; everyone is capable of being hypnotized, and everyone is capable of fighting off hypnotism. It's all about if you allow youself to be open to suggestion or not. No hypnotist can force you to do anything you don't want to do.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I wouldn't want to be hypnotized, but I believe that I could be.

Let's just say that I wouldn't willingly give someone the opportunity to hypnotize me, because I wouldn't want to risk being turned into a puppet. What if they told me to do something embarrassing, illegal, or even self-destructive? It seems like it would be too easy for them to abuse that kind of power, and I don't see why people are so quick to trust them.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Well, as I mentioned earlier athenian, a hypnotist can't force you to do anything that you don't want to do.
Like, a hypnotist can't turn a man gay just by saying so. If the man does indeed turn gay, then it's because it was something he subconsciously wanted or was in self-denial about, and the hypnotist just helped him be more open about it or overcome his self-denial. But if he's assured about his sexuality and absolutely never had any doubt that he was straight, then he'll more than likely break out of the trance or just brush off the hypnotist and continue being straight. A hypnotist only has as much power as you allow them.
But, a licensed hypno-therapist would never suggest for you to do anything illegal or take advantage of you.
I think the best way to describe hypno-therapy is that they nudge you into doing something you wanted to happen anyway (or bring out something that was always there in your mind, like suppressed memories). If a smoker goes to a hypno-therapist because they want to stop smoking, then the hypno-therapist just leaves suggestions and nudges the person to alter their thinking to help them stop smoking, which is what the person wanted.
Again, a hypnotism only works as much as you allow it to work.

Last edited:
L

LinksBrother

Well , I'm not too sure about it , but.... I think it could happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom