• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you think we will ever get a "true" 3DS Zelda?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
A Link Between Worlds is a fantastic game, but it really doesn't do the 3DS justice when it comes to what it can do. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3D really do a good job of demonstrating what the 3DS is capable of when it comes to 3D Zelda games. It's evidence that a fully 3D original game for the 3DS would be able to work, and would look great. But we haven't gotten one, and lately it's been seeming like that may never happen, but I still have a bit of hope that it will. But what do you think? Do you think it's too late in the 3DS's lifespan for this to be a thing? Would you even want one to happen with the Switch now acting as a portable console itself?

Last edited:

Quin

Disaster Master
I learned from Monster Hunter that the 3DS isn't really great for 3D action games so I rather just see one on the switch. ALBW on the other hand felt really great. I could go for another one.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I hope we will get some kind of true 3D style Zelda game, but my hopes grow slimmer and slimmer. Now that the Switch is a success and the 3ds is dying out it wouldn't make much sense for them to make a new Zelda game for the 3ds. Unless they outsource the game to another developer then I don't see it happening.

While I'd love an original 3D Zelda game on 3DS the realist in me tells me that its too late.

If we were going to get one we'd have gotten one instead of TFH.

Unfortunately we got TFH.

I think any Zelda action now will be going straight to the Switch. Kimishima wants to sell 20million Switch units this year. Zelda will sell units.

Its a shame, because IMO the 3DS got shafted when it comes to Zelda: two (very good) remakes, a port, a half sequel and another damn multiplayer game aren't what the system deserved.

An original 3D title would have sold gangbusters and a lot of 3DS/2DS units, it still could even now if it were to release this year but I bet that if anything was in development at some time for the 3DS it has since been moved to Switch production.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I mean, ALBW was a Zelda game that won Game of The Year (I don't know where), but it still was not original.

What do you mean "true"? If you mean a game that was developed and published by Nintendo that is in-canon then...
A Link Between Worlds and Tri Force Heroes.

There you go.

It's certainly a neat concept, and I would love to see Nintendo to continue to try new things. However, I honestly prefer that they get back into producing more major titles on non handhelds, the home consoles seem better suited for Zelda. If they do this, I hope it is more of something that just wouldn't quite fit on a console like the Switch or such.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I mean, ALBW was a Zelda game that won Game of The Year (I don't know where), but it still was not original.
Gamespot,I know b/c I remember people were salty about it

I recall when someone at nintendo said zelda wasn't done yet on the 3ds following link b/w world's release, so this got me excited that maybe now we can finally see a realized original 3d zelda game on the 3ds....AND THEN IT TURNED OUT TO BE BUTTFRICKEN TRIFORCE HEROES
at that point yeah,we're not getting an original 3d zelda game on that system ever,especially not now w/ the switch out and the 3ds in its twilight days

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Couldn't hurt. Ninty's lazy though. It's no wonder it'll never happen.

There was never any reason why we couldn't ever get a fully 3D Zelda original Zelda title on 3DS. I mean, why not? But console hardware still graphics 3D better than any handheld can.

In theory and practice, it's never too late. But to be realistic though, it probably is.

A Link Between Worlds had plenty of full, outright original content like all of its dungeon designs and even a few of its dungeon concepts (House of Gales, Ice Ruins), and the rest were either totally unique layouts and designs or had outright brand-new gimmicks (like the Thieves' Hideout turning into a jailbreak, Skull Woods featuring puzzles surrounding using Floormasters, and the Dark Palace being an actual darkness-themed dungeon). The boss fights similarly took on new life, as did most sidequests, the actual storyline, etc.

It seems to me like the only thing in A Link Between Worlds that's "the same" between it and A Link to the Past is the overworld... and even then more for the Hyrule map than the Lorule one. I'm not sure then it's fair to say the game "wasn't original", especially since that overworld takes on new life itself with a power (wall-merging) that makes you rethink how to approach it, along with secrets and puzzles surrounding that ability.

As for the main topic, I've never really been huge on the idea of every game on a system, or even every major one, needing to really "master" the system's hardware. Just because A Link Between Worlds doesn't "push" the hardware does not mean it's not a worthy game for the system. I also am a huge fan of the gameplay of the 2D Zeldas (even if they have 3D graphics), and if we were to stop seeing them on the handhelds, I'd be pretty sad.

That said I'm not sure it's true that there's no hope for one to still show up. Nintendo hasn't really seemed to slow down 3DS development, and they've talked about the possibility of a successor, so I'm not even sure the Switch is replacing it. We're also due for a handheld title or remake announcement if past history is any indication, so unless they're moving their "small games" to the Switch I suspect we'll be hearing about something on the 3DS this E3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom