• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda Do You Think the Original LoZ is Hard?

The original Legend of Zelda isn't that hard after a while. If you can't get to the first dungeon, then try getting 250 rupees so you can buy the Blue Ring before you go to the dungeon. There are also three heart containers you can get before the first dungeon and a sword upgrade, which can really help.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Without a guide? Almost impossible to figure out, and could easily confuse you for years.

With a good guide? A cakewalk. All you have to do is follow the directions, save once in a while, and dodge attacks while attacking. Took me less than a week with a guide from GameFAQs. Before that, I had only been able to find and beat the first dungeon before getting lost.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, without a guide it's nigh impossible. You can stumble around for years before finally finding all the dungeons. Heck, when I first downloaded it, I stumbled around for a long time and didn't find a single dungeon. Once inside the dungeons, it's still cryptic and thus difficult without a guide. However, the enemy factor is the one thing that's easy about it: for the most part the enemies are very easy to kill, with the exception of wizzrobes (the wizard thingies), darknuts, one of the later Gleeok fights, and the only reason I died on Ganon was because I got hit a lot on the way in.

But, it's decently easy with a guide. I actually beat in about five hours without turning my Wii off once.

Austin

Austin
It's pretty difficult, mostly because Link is incredibly difficult to manuever. I always find myself facing in the wrong direction when attempting to evade attacks. But in terms of enemy strength and puzzle intricacy, it's no harder than any other 2D Zelda game.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
Real hard to get the controls when you've spent your life on more current games. Also, without a guide I don't know if finding secrets in the over-world is even possible without aimlessly dropping bombs and walking up to every statue and burning every tree/bush. I know I had a hard time with the fighting even with following a guide's every detail and obtaining every upgrade possible when possible to obtain. The dungeons I managed to do alone for the most part (at least doing dungeons on my own is a rule I have for myself unless I'm completely and utterly stumped), but towards the end a guide needed consulting for dungeons too.

O

OceanaOfTime

It's really hard to get used to. You can nearly master certain elements of the game, but it has always been rather complicated for me to get the entire thing down. My mom happens to be a pro at it, believe it or not. x) I don't like using game guides and walk throughs, because it feels like i didn't actually do the game, and i don't get that sense of accomplishment. Like, bbevington i have kinda made a "rule" for myself.

It's a very difficult game, and i've only ever beaten it with help, i'm ashamed to say. ): But you have inspired me to run to my NES and start over, xD. It's going to be a long night.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I grew up with it - without a guide or Game FAQs (in 1991, I did not know the Internet existed, let alone had it). Was flummoxed on the last dungeons for about half a year, but after I found them... well, let's just say I played that game so many times that when I took it up again on the Collector's Edition after about five years of not playing it, I remembered where most things were, including little treasure-caves.

However, last week, I started up Second Quest for old time's sake and.... guh! I was thinking "Was Second Quest THIS had when I was a kid? I don't remember Second Quest being this hard!" *All* the dungeons save the first are hidden, the dungeon maps are totall different, and there are things in the second dungeon that didn't show up in the first game until the 5th dungeon and that darn old man at the waterfall won't give me the white sword! I do remember beating Second Quest multiple times as a kid, though... I just don't remember as much from it as I did from First Quest.

Oh, and see my friend's comment about Lynels down in my signiture. Lynels - overworld enemies you meet in LoZ around Death Mountain. His commentary is spot-on, it is.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Yes, the original LoZ is hard. Very hard. Especially without a good guide showing you what to do and where to go. I remember playing it when I was a kid and after I got to the first dungeon I couldn't do anything else because it's difficulty prevented me from doing so. Nowadays after I got my hands on a copy of it, I've found myself about to get past the first dungeon, unlike how I did when I was younger, and get a bit farther into the game. Although I will admit I did use a walkthrough at some points to find out where the first three or four dungeons were located, even then it was hard. I remembered dying a few times trying to get through those dungeons. Now I'm stuck at trying to find the fifth dungeon... :sweat:

So yeah, the original LoZ is hard.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The game is only difficult when you have no guide there for you. You find yourself lost somewhere and you can't get away because you lack a map and guide. There is also the problem with finding those hidden heart containers which without, you will die quickly.
The limited movement doesn't help at times when you are dealing with Dark Nuts and blue Wizzrobes.

However the game is quite easy if you get used to it, and have gotten a guide. (Though, drawing your own map is fun too) You know where everything is and can pretty much armor yourself into god mode for the dungeons.

Overall, the game is in the medium range of difficulty.

Nye Pendragon

derparific
It's so hard I barely ever even attempt to play it. :x Why is a 8-bit game harder than a 3D game? -sigh- I'll never know.
I can never stay alive very long, there's no direction as to where I go next, etc. Well, that or I'm just no good at video games. cx

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
It's so hard I barely ever even attempt to play it. :x Why is a 8-bit game harder than a 3D game? -sigh- I'll never know.
I can never stay alive very long, there's no direction as to where I go next, etc. Well, that or I'm just no good at video games. cx

A lot of people actually like that the game doesn't help you on where to go next... it bothers me too though don't worry. I just caved and used a guide to get me to dungeons, then scrapped the guide and did the dungeons on my own. Even with all the upgrades possible, it's still really difficult. I think part of the problem is that in 2d the enemies can be a lot more jittery and have more random movements, making it easier for them to hit you. I'd recommend getting through it though, it's worth it :)

Z

zbygy9

I never completed the first game. I got past over half the dungeons I think... And I think my game was glitchy. I couldn't get some item or item upgrade I needed... and the dungeon i was on was really really hard. Without the item I had no hopes of progressing. So i just stopped.

The Castellan

Going bump in the night.

Heh, it's not the bits that determine difficulty. :) Heck, the 8 and 16 bit eras are my fav ones. ;)

Anyhow, I first played the original Legend of Zelda in 1990, right around this time, too.
Anyhow, I later bought myself a copy of it in the summer of that year. I think it took me 2 years to finally win it. I like how it did not give many hints (like how many of one's enemies are going to actually help you beat them? :lol:) and made it a real journey to do and I liked exploring that small area of Hyrule, both over and under worlds, and not knowing what was going to be in the next area of wilderness or next room of the dungeon I was in. I also loved the little claymation sorta map of the overworld in the first pages of the original instruction book. :cool:

Epona

Ordon Village
It is pretty difficult. Especially the second quest! I finally beat that recently, and wow that felt good. :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom