• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think the Motion Controls Might Hurt Skyward Sword?

Fierce

Deity Link
The Topic: Do you think the Motion controls might hurt Skyward Sword?

Now Twilight Princess was well executed with its motion controls, but I'm a bit skeptical going into Skyward Sword. I know this is Miyamoto's dream... but we all know how some of those can turn out... (I'm looking at you Wii Music!)

My reason is this: I'm afraid the game will become too centralized around the use of the Wii-motion plus. This wasn't an issue with Twilight Princess
(wii) because the the motion controls were tacked on what was originally a traditional Zelda game. Here though... the game was drafted based on this concept from the start.

Motion controls are notorious for being gimmicky, tending to detract from the gameplay and relying on their innovation as a crutch. Just look at Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass... These are definitely fun games, but when compared to past Zelda iterations they just don't measure up. Why is this? Well they are centralized on over-utilizing the features of the DS. I get sick and tired of having to Blow into my ds and draw out the path for my boomerang. It just seems novelty and forced personally, and it detracts from the fun of that original experience.

The problems I see in the SS demo already:
- The Bow:
The aiming of the Bow and slingshot are great in Twilight, but they actually changed the Bow to work like a real bow... I have Wii sports Resort. Shooting the Bow is fun, but it is quite hard. The bow is a very commonly used item, so I'm not sure it should require such skill to operate to do what were before simple tasks. I can see this getting annoying, fast. It is adding difficulty to a once simple action.

- Item switching:

I just don't understand the whole pocket mechanic. Item swapping has always been a simple process by use of the palette. Not a major issue, just seems unzelda.

- Overcomplicated Swordplay:

Will be undoubtably fun, but really just won't be the same Zelda. If we are going to need to do precise swipes, it will get very frustrating. This isn't really a problem, but I think alot of the puzzles and bosses may become too centralized on this mechanic. Thankfully we'll be losing our sword at parts so I'm just hoping this won't be a pitfall and define the game.

What I mean is like and example:
OOT King Dondogo battle:
Make him swallow bombs. Hack and Slash

SS King Dondogo battle: (making this up)
Slice just at the tip of his feet then cut his front teeth out to bowl a bomb into his mouth.

Creative? Yes! But it has a chance of becoming redundant and too much work to the point where it is less of a game, and less Zelda.

I have a plethora of other worries... but I think I've made my point.
Don't get me wrong because I'm beyond excited and hyped for the game, but we'd be foolish to overlook this potential flaw. Wii Sports Resort was a blast.... for a week. Ocarina of Time was a blast... forever. I just hope they can find a balance that still retains the Zelda feel without being too gimmicky or excessively reliant on motion controls.

What do you guys think? What mistakes with the controls do you hope Nintendo avoids?

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't think it'll hurt the game at all. Sure, things like the bow could get a little frustrating, but it's like we're actually Link. Besides, it gets to where it's not nearly as hard after you use it for a while. (And I'm sure there will be some kind of mini-game, or something, that will train us to use the Bow in Skyward Sword.) But also keep in mind...Nintendo is aiming at redefining Zelda in this game. Miyamoto said Twilight Princess will be the last of the Zelda games as we know them. This isn't just going to be some new style of play with the same Zelda feel. This is going to be completely new. So I don't think this interfering with "traditional Zelda" will be a problem, as this isn't going to be "traditional Zelda."

Beyond all that, though, there will definitely be way more positives in this game than negatives.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
It will in no way hurt the game. It isn't a glorified Wii sports resort with Link and Hyrule after all, it's a Zelda game in wich you have full control over you sword, Twilight Princess with more control if you want. Nintendo just wants to make gamers see that motion controls aren't just for kiddy party games, but they can also be used in a hardcore game like Zelda.

Quite a long while back, I read an article on Zelda Universe, and it was an interview with Eiji Aonuma, the man behind 3D Zelda, and he stated that there are things in Zelda that they can't change, like the distinct features of fields and dungeons, and how the games are structured, so I don't think that we have to worry about this game being drasticaly different from other 3D games. Skywrd Sword is just another turning point for our beloved series, like A Link to the Past, and Ocarina of time.

Please put your fears of Skyward Sword being too gimicky to rest, after all, every Zelda game has had some sort of gimick, the gimicks are what make every game individual.

PS. Congrats JuicyJ on your two hearts :D

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
It will in no way hurt the game. It isn't a glorified Wii sports resort with Link and Hyrule after all, it's a Zelda game in wich you have full control over you sword, Twilight Princess with more control if you want. Nintendo just wants to make gamers see that motion controls aren't just for kiddy party games, but they can also be used in a hardcore game like Zelda.

Quite a long while back, I read an article on Zelda Universe, and it was an interview with Eiji Aonuma, the man behind 3D Zelda, and he stated that there are things in Zelda that they can't change, like the distinct features of fields and dungeons, and how the games are structured, so I don't think that we have to worry about this game being drasticaly different from other 3D games. Skywrd Sword is just another turning point for our beloved series, like A Link to the Past, and Ocarina of time.

Please put your fears of Skyward Sword being too gimicky to rest, after all, every Zelda game has had some sort of gimick, the gimicks are what make every game individual.

PS. Congrats JuicyJ on your two hearts :D

Oh, it won't be gimmicky, that's for sure. After playing Red Steel 2, I'm assured of that.

Oh, and thank you! =D :)

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Oh, it won't be gimmicky, that's for sure. After playing Red Steel 2, I'm assured of that.

Oh, and thank you! =D :)

I read on IGN on their Skyward Sword preview that the game's swordplay kicks Red Steel 2 butt, is Red Steel 2's swordplay fun and responsive then? Because if it is, this is great news for Skyward Sword.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I read on IGN on their Skyward Sword preview that the game's swordplay kicks Red Steel 2 butt, is Red Steel 2's swordplay fun and responsive then? Because if it is, this is great news for Skyward Sword.

*raises eyebrows* Really!(?) Well, then, Skyward Sword is gonna be WAY more fun than I thought it would be, because Red Steel 2's blade is deadly accurate. (Quite literally, at that.)

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
*raises eyebrows* Really! Well, then, Skyward Sword is gonna be WAY more fun than I thought it would be, because Red Steel 2's blade is deadly accurate. (Quite literally, at that.)

This is excellent, I'm super stocked now!

Fierce

Deity Link
I'm really glad you guys don't think it will be an issue because I really don't want another Spirit Tracks kind of game. XD

Thanks!

I still have a bit of reservation though.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I'm really glad you guys don't think it will be an issue because I really don't want another Spirit Tracks kind of game. XD

Thanks!

Doubt not Aonuma and his team of freacking genius'... Never doubt!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

Thanks!

Another Spirit Tracks kind of game? Try Phantom Hourglass. Spirit Tracks was a phenomenal game and doesn't deserve the criticism it gets. (Lower rating than Phantom Hourglass, how in the...)

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I think they will if they're the only option. Traditional controls are not for everyone, literally. Not everyone is physically able to use them. Having motion controls as the only option would limit the market. Nintendo loves money you know. Not like them to intentionally miss some.

Fierce

Deity Link
@JuiceJ
love Spirit Tracks! I just love the rest of the Zelda games more...? If that makes any sense.
I just don't like it when games become too focused on new control aspects.

Like example: Having to blow into the DS to play the Flute in Spirit Tracks.... very annoying to me. x_x

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I think they will if they're the only option. Traditional controls are not for everyone, literally. Not everyone is physically able to use them. Having motion controls as the only option would limit the market. Nintendo loves money you know. Not like them to intentionally miss some.

No, Microsoft and Sony love money. Sure, Nintendo does, too, but at least they care about their fans. That's why they're doing this. 360 and PS3 only got motion controls to mimick the Wii.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Doubt not Aonuma and his team of freacking genius'... Never doubt!

Yes. Doubting them is foolish beyond belief. In my opinion, the 1:1 swordplay will be awesome! I think it's better this way. All the greivances you had were pluses for me. The swordplay in TP Wii was the same as in the GC version, which makes me question the point in even swinging your sword with the wii remote to begin with.

By the way, what the heck is King Donojo? It's "King Dodongo", silly!:lol: You may want to fix that.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
@JuiceJ
love Spirit Tracks! I just love the rest of the Zelda games more...? If that makes any sense.
I just don't like it when games become too focused on new control aspects.

Like example: Having to blow into the DS to play the Flute in Spirit Tracks.... very annoying to me. x_x

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I see. Well, if you don't like focuses on new controls, you may have trouble liking Skyward Sword. (Nah, what am I saying? You'll love them, trust me. Wii Motion Plus in real games is insane. And in the good way.)

I actually liked the Spirit Flute. It was somewhat difficult to use, but it was like playing a real instrument!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom