• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think Nintendo Will Ever Make a M Rated Zelda Game?

i can see them doing so considering some of the stuff they've pulled off in some of the games, Ganondorf caughing up blood in OOT comes to mind

Zelda's_Child

~Insert Epicness Here~
To be frank, they already have where I come from.

In Australia, Twilight Princess was rated M. Now we have a different game rating system to America, which goes:
E, G, PG, M, MA.
Twilight Princess was classified M, and I was actually too scared of what would happen in the game if I played it, that's why I procrastinated so long. :P

I wouldn't think that they'd make anything darker than they already have, so I think we're in the clear. If they did, I would probably watch some videos on Youtube, then decide whether I would buy it or not.

T

-TR-

I really do wish something like this will happen. I've seen the Zelda series go downhill in terms of maturity; ie. Wind Waker and [possibly] Skyward Sword. The games seem too happy. Too cheery. Know what I mean?

OoT had dark moments, it had blood and implied murder. Majoras Mask had it's super creepiness and dark story... Who knows what will happen?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
No, mainly because Nintendo likes to make games that people of all ages can play and enjoy. But I would like to see one. The Legend of Zelda is a series that can pull off an M rated title. Here is what an M rated title can offer to the Legend of Zelda and what I would like to see from one. You could get better combat that actually shows you cutting trough skin and bone with blood gushing out. You can get a really dark and cinematic story with a dark atmosphere. Just imagine walking into dungeons and caves and seeing skeletons and blood and dead people or dead animals. Picture Link going back to his village just to see a loved one murdered by Ganon. People getting tortured and hanged for their crimes, etc. It can deliver a really sad tale with disturbing images and realism. I think that would be cool to see. Zelda can almost be anything seeing as how each game always offers a different story, art style, and tone.

I really do wish something like this will happen. I've seen the Zelda series go downhill in terms of maturity; ie. Wind Waker and [possibly] Skyward Sword. The games seem too happy. Too cheery. Know what I mean?

OoT had dark moments, it had blood and implied murder. Majoras Mask had it's super creepiness and dark story... Who knows what will happen?
!. You can't judge a game before it's out (without being a biased jerk, anyway)
2. In WW, you STAB GANONDORF IN THE FREAKING HEAD. very "cheery" right?

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
They most likely never will, and I hope they don't. Nintendo has always been dedicated to making sure their games are playable for all ages. They put censors on Link's Awakening, though that was only in America.

But yeah, I think they would've by now if they were ever going to at all.

S

Stalfosrule

I hope not. I don't like extremely violent/grotesque games

if anything Majora's Mask should be rated M i'm sorry, it has what made OOT dark and makes things darker because when you think deep into it it's like this, you have 3 days of a timelimit, there aree people for you to help and you can reset time, you have to think about who you're going to save, because you may be able to help one person with their problem but somewhere in Termina someone is having trouble of their own and they'll actually show you the consiquences even when you're right there you fail and the game shows you what you've done to doom whoever you tried to help

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
if anything Majora's Mask should be rated M i'm sorry, it has what made OOT dark and makes things darker because when you think deep into it it's like this, you have 3 days of a timelimit, there aree people for you to help and you can reset time, you have to think about who you're going to save, because you may be able to help one person with their problem but somewhere in Termina someone is having trouble of their own and they'll actually show you the consiquences even when you're right there you fail and the game shows you what you've done to doom whoever you tried to help

That's not worthy of an M rating. Majora's Mask wasn't even that dark. Yeah, some story elements were dark if you really think about it. But you still have all the time in the world to do things. People just over think the game and make it something it's not.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
<bumped>

Check out this video:
[video=youtube;4T_Uk53lwNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T_Uk53lwNY&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

These were fan-made with Garry's Mod, but some of them are very graphic! This is the kind of Zelda game I want, one that just BARELY breaks the lines between T and M. Basically, I want a Zelda game with a little more blood.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
I have thought of this in the past and I agree with almost everyone that it will not happen, not that it is not impossible though. Zelda is very geared for children and teens. When you make an M game you will lose tons of Zelda players that are too young for an M game. At the same time I just don't see how blood swearing or mature themes could be put in a Zelda game. Just thinking of Zelda and Navi Swearing makes me cringe. So for me I am 90% sure that this will never happen.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
No. Reason being that's not the kind of series Zelda is. That's a pretty shallow answer, but that's really all there is to it. It's like Axle said a few mailbags back. You don't take a Gears of War game and try to make it child-oriented, and you don't take a Sesame Street game and turn it into a First-Person Shooter. Zelda is the kind of series that is aimed at all ages, and it will always stay that way. Straying from that would probably be the worst idea ever on Nintendo's part.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I can see it happening very soon. And by very soon, I mean over the next 100 years or so (if Zelda lives that long). There's only so much you can do with one video game genre, people have clearly gotten tired of the current Zelda formula, which is why Skyward Sword is being so different. Over time, Nintendo may adopt Majora's Mask's amazingly awesome and developed characters, plus the very small amount of dungeons within the game. People will get tired of that. Then, Nintendo could do to to the last of their wits and blend OoT gameplay, MM story, LoZ nonlinearity and whatever other game changing concepts that each Zelda series thus far has shown and eventually people will tire of that; they've seen it all in the years past and have no incentive to try it again outside of visuals.

Once the current Zelda (plus Skyward) formula is dried up, naturally they will introduce radically different concepts to boost the hype up. That could be from introducing AoL RPG elements in a realistically Turn-Based RPG method a la Final Fantasy series, or it could even be sexualized content or FPS elements. I'm not suggesting this will happen very soon. I'm not saying I want this to happen. All I'm saying is, Zelda will become extremely old (at least Zelda 'proper') and Nintendo will be forced to bring in different elements or else drop the series as a whole. You know what Miyamoto said (jokingly), Skyward Sword has to be better than Ocarina of Time or no more Zelda? That could apply to future Zeldas as well, though I doubt the big N would be comparing Zelda future to OoT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom