• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword Are Similar?

C

chowderday

I recently read an article saying that majora was similar to Skyward Sword and I was wondering if you think so also. I am currently playing Majora and that is my first zelda game.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Yes I do think so, but more in the Side Quests. In Majora's Mask the side quests everyone had a personalty and you felt bounded to the people. Skyward Sword feels the same way. That's the main simalitrty, maybe you could consider the game only having a few areas that is connect by an area such as a sky and field and in the center is a town which is the main hub for the game. But thats all I can think of.

Majora's Cat

How about that
The two can be viewed similarly for a few minute reasons, but other than that, the two are almost like polar opposites. Skyward Sword was a very straightforward game that shifts the player's attention away from sidequests, while the core of Majora's Mask lied within interacting with characters and completing the seemingly endless amount of different sidequests with the three day cycle.

Most gamers would like to think of SS as a very upbeat game with a lighter tone than most Zelda games. The Wind Waker would probably be unanimously thought of as the brightest Zelda game, but Skyward Sword comes as a close second. This is mainly because cool colors are used to a minimum, and if they are used, they are always very bright. For the most part, environments and characters in the game consist of warm colors and don't have tremendous amounts of detail. This is a product of the impressionist art style that makes the game looks like a watercolor painting come to life.

On the other hand, Majora's Mask is arguably the darkest Zelda title to date. The looming threat of the Moon becomes greater with each passing day, bringing the destruction of Termina ever closer. While Clock Town seems to go about its business as usual, Link is able to get an inside look at the panic surging through the townspeople in the mayor's office. Only guards are courageous enough to remain on duty, and characters often comment about the horrific-looking Moon that dangles above them. More importantly, this impending sense of doom makes Link constantly feel rushed to complete sidequests.

It is ultimately up to the player whether or not to help out those in need before their final moments. Anju and Kafei's quest for love is cut short by Majora's antics, and Link can decide to get involved or do nothing about it. What the player will find is a tale of anguish and a bond between two lovers that can't be broken, no matter how Kafei appears. In the end, the two embrace in the final seconds before the Moon crashes into Termina - a chilling scene that amplifies the dark atmosphere of Majora's Mask. The sidequests capture the dire situation of the people in Termina, and MM brings an element to the table that was never seen before in a Zelda game: death.

Both are extraordinary and are generally considered underrated, which might be one of the similarities between the two. However, the two seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum in several ways. Majora's Mask's gameplay is very complex while Skyward Sword's is simplified. MM veers from the beaten path and approaches Zelda in a much more emotional and fragile way, while SS continues the franchise's tradition of epic adventuring.

Perhaps the only real similarity between Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword is that the titles of both games are examples of alliteration.

N

nin10undo

honestly i don't think it is i believe the only similarity i see is the hand in the toilet i know other people disagree but i dont see it.

F

fiercedietylink

no cuz you have different instruments its a different link a different world different species different province names different characters and sidequests and gameplay styles and camera views and graphics

The gratitude crystals quest was fairly similar to Majora's Mask, but otherwise they are nothing alike. And even then, the sidequests weren't nearly as character focused as Majora's Mask.

Deeds

no text
Link Between MM and SS

[SMALL SPOILER]

This isn't a very big link but I thought it was quite interesting, even though people may have mentioned it before. In Majoras Mask where you have to find all of those Kids so you can be in there gang, this to me, is very similar to finding all the Kikwis in Faron Woods in Skyward Sword. Theoretically, this may not mean much, I just thought it was quite interesting. Complete oppostites though aren't they? An urban Clock Town and a natural Faron Woods...

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Most similarities I see are more of a general nature (both are Zelda games and therefore share elements, but those are found in other games in the series too), so I won't get into them.
And of course there are some references, namely the hand in the toilet. Other somehow similar things are the central town + (somehow) separated provinces concept and the overworld being a bit dungeon-like in both games (many puzzles in the SS overworld and many mini-dungeons and similar places in the MM overworld like Deku Palace, Gerudo Fortress, Ikana Castle...)
But one similarity that stood out to me are the Ghirahim battles. They reminded me quite a bit of Odolwa and Garo Master, especially how the Garo Master charges at you and teleports behind you and Odolwa jumps in the air and tries to land a downward strike on Link. Plus both are very defensive.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Including everything teh above posters have said, I'd say that the two games aren't very similar though they still *are* similar in ways. The sidequests, however, evoked a different emotion in MM than they did in SS (for me). In Majora's Mask, I was actually attached to the NPCs and their plights as I was everseeking to get to the bottom of their hurts, whereas SS' NPCs were forgettable and all I was looking for was those extra Gratitude Crystals for my 9.9k wallet. It's due to the mood and feel of both games and placements; where the main danger is taking place in Clock Town, all of the NPCs are situated relatively close to Clocky. The Moon is always above Termina as a whole, so everything is affected. But with Skyloft? There's naught but the occasional Loftwing falling sick because of its owner's forgetfulness. Where Clock Town has the dark-mellow theme to it, SS has the "haha, fun fun island!!!!xD" theme, which is part of why the two moods are completely different in regards to sidequests.

G

GuruGuru

I do wonder, where exactly did you read that article? You made me curious...
I agree mostly with the majority of the posters above me, SS and MM are hardly alike.

Perhaps the only real similarity between Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword is that the titles of both games are examples of alliteration.
So is Wind Waker, but technically, that's one's called The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, so I'll give you that one. :lol:

i think SS is more like WW and TP than it is MM
a lot of the stuff you do is like stuff you do in WW
like the open flying = open sea sailing, and being captured and having to sneak your way through the Eldin Volcano = Forsaken Fortress, Zelda getting kidnapped and Link trying to fin her = Aryll getting kidnapped, also both Links grew up on basically a friendly island where they begin with a 'ceremony,' WW = coming of age clothes, SS = wing ceremony
there are lots others but i can't think of them right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom