• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you think it would be fun to play a Zelda game where you can create your own character?

Do you think it would be fun to play a Zelda game where you can create your own character?

• Total voters

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
One of the most iconic things about the Legend of Zelda is that you essentially always play as the silent protagonist Link. Do you think it would be interesting to play a Zelda game where you can customize and create a character to experience Hyrule in a completely different way?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Definitely. Link's hardly anything above being an avatar anyway. An actual avatar is the obvious next step. Give the player an option to experience Hyrule with their own self-insert or custom character.

Maybe in a spin-off type of game that is set in the world of Zelda, but not like traditional about it? So you can experience the world in a different format, but you're not the chosen one and you're not going to stop Ganon. Just for a different perspective to help flesh out the civilization side of things, it could be okay, but I don't feel strongly about it either way.

Quin

Disaster Master
Might as well at this point. BOTW was the best game to do this with honestly. They already got rid of his iconic green tunic so you might aswell go full custom. BOTW tried to break conventions of the series but either go big with that, or don't do it at all. Yes I'm still mad about the ugly blue tunic.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
No. Even though many people argue that "Link is basically not a character anyway", but I disagree. Sure he's not the most developed character, but he is a character nonetheless. The Legend of Zelda has never been a "Nameless Hero RPG" and it shouldn't be one. I don't really get why so many seems to think that customisable characters are automatically better than set ones

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Maybe in a spin-off type of game that is set in the world of Zelda, but not like traditional about it? So you can experience the world in a different format, but you're not the chosen one and you're not going to stop Ganon. Just for a different perspective to help flesh out the civilization side of things, it could be okay, but I don't feel strongly about it either way.
That was more my thought.

I don't think being a nameless hero who saves Hyrule from Ganon would be fitting, but a game where you can play as one of the many interesting races in the franchise and experience the world in a significantly less urgent time period could be neat. There could certainly be conflict, but nothing so cataclysmic.

I mean technically Link being Link has no affect on gameplay. But I'm still going with 'no' because to me, it just wouldn't be a Zelda game. And there are millions of Not-Zelda games for me to play when I'm not playing a Zelda game.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It'd be exactly the same as it is now. Link in the current games is barely a character and only a step or two away from needing companion characters to clean up his drool.

What exactly would change if you could customize your character instead of playing as Link?

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Poor Link. All of his snarky dialogue always gets overlooked...
No. I’ve never been too big into the self-insert characters unless it’s an RPG designed around that. A Zelda game would feel weird with goofy custom characters running around. Didn’t a BS Zelda game let you kind of self insert?

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Poor Link. All of his snarky dialogue always gets overlooked...
No. I’ve never been too big into the self-insert characters unless it’s an RPG designed around that. A Zelda game would feel weird with goofy custom characters running around. Didn’t a BS Zelda game let you kind of self insert?

But the (very lame) justification for Link's drooling muteness is that he's an "avatar" for the player. How would including a custom character change that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom