• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you think it was planned?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
They're probably far along enough in the development cycle for BotW2 to have the whole story planned out. Thing is, when did they finish it? Do you think that they planned the story for BotW2 along with BotW? Or did they finish BotW and start on BotW2?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
They're probably far along enough in the development cycle for BotW2 to have the whole story planned out. Thing is, when did they finish it? Do you think that they planned the story for BotW2 along with BotW? Or did they finish BotW and start on BotW2?

What I know of gaming development would indicate that they started work on BotW's expansion either shortly before or immediately after release, with a smaller team dedicated to working on the minor stuff like the Master Trials and patching. Since BotW's sequel began as an expansion, I'd guess they started it before release.

BotW2 began as DLC.

We don't know the specifics but Aonuma said the story for BotW2 was originally planned as an expansion to BotW but they had "too many ideas" and decided to make it a full game.

The Zelda team rarely ever concentrate too hard on story so what they have planned for it is probably done. It would need to be for them to actually code the game.

I don't doubt that some concepts surrounding BotW's world design may have been considered more deeply than we saw in the finished product, but that's common for any game. Like when you flesh out a world, you really have the opportunity to consider why it is the way it is, but this may never actually be explained for added mystery and whatnot. But because they likely didn't use every idea they had for BotW, in that sense, sure, they had some unused plans that could probably connect to some open ends they left in BotW--like the Zonai--and have that work as a transition into a sequel. But no, I don't think they actually planned to make a sequel. They simply had some ideas that they thought they could bring to life in DLC and then decided that it was substantial enough to make its own game.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
They probably started concepts for the DLC that became BotW 2 after BotW released. By now they probably do have the story completely planned, they probably just need to get the voice actors in, and they are probably still developing or maybe fine tuning some things. My hope is we'll get the game next year.

I think they could have had an idea of what they wanted to do for the story for BOTW II while they were still making BOTW. But I think it really started when they were making DLC pack 3 and it turned into BOTW II.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
It may reuse story elements cut from BOTW 1, like how Link's Awakening was based off an early version of A Link to the Past.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next game turns out to be much more different than expected. Yes, it started out a DLC, but five years of development, it could easily have evolved significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom