• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think Cars Are Cool?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Theres a culture surrounding the love of cars, especially in America. Some dudebros make their car a part of their personality, others just have an appreciation for the design and mechanics and what have you. Are you one of those people or are you indifferent to cars?

I fall in the indifferent camp. I couldn't care less about cool-looking cars. I have an active hatred of loud cars, though. People who have those motors or mufflers or whatever that make tons of noise are extremely obnoxious and probably compensating for something. I'm usually pretty good about loud noises, but I can't stand those. Hearing someone ride by with a loud car is a great way to put me in a foul mood.

As far as I'm concerned, cars get me where I need to go and that's it. What about you guys? Are you a car junkie or are you indifferent?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
@Azure Sage Do you completely don't care for the cars like it's mileage, pick up, transmission, design or are you something in between that and a junkie?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
@Azure Sage Do you completely don't care for the cars like it's mileage, pick up, transmission, design or are you something in between that and a junkie?
I said what I said. I dont care about them beyond that they get me to places. If I were buying one I'd have a color preference and so on but I really could not care less otherwise. Cars arent "cool" to me.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think some cars look nice design wise and I'd rather drive something that looks good but I consider a car to not be a good investment beyond something to transport you. They lose so much value after you use them that it's not worth buying a new car ever. Even if you make a decent amount of money I don't reccomend it, you are better off investing it elsewhere.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
A car is a 1-2 ton piece of metal that gets me from one place to another. If it looks nice, great. I'd want it to be comfortable of course, but other than that, they don't mean a whole lot to me.

I like cars, but I don't feel super strong about them. I appreciate a well designed car but mostly in theory and I don't need to be the one driving said car to appreciate it. If I see a nice car on the road, I will notice it, but for me personally, the functionality does come first. I won't be able to get anything nice for myself anytime soon (car or otherwise) so it's not something I think too much about anyway.

Some dudebros make their car a part of their personality
You shouldn't shame people for making the things they're passionate be a big part of who they are by calling them dudebros. We all do it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I actually like vintage cars, I feel like in the past car designs had more personality and were more artistically designed. These days most cars look the same. Another benefit of older cars is how easy they are to repair yourself, whereas modern car design has everything under the hood so cramped together that you'll have to take a bunch of parts out to address an issue. Plus, you'll definitely need to buy a hydraulic lift to get the car off the ground high enough to service it yourself if you plan on doing that. It's not impossible to do, it's just not as easy as fixing an older car that has tons of room under the hood to use your tools.

You shouldn't shame people for making the things they're passionate be a big part of who they are by calling them dudebros. We all do it.
Was about to say exactly that. I couldn't be less interested in cars beyond their practical uses, but it's funny to see such a condescending statement about people's interests on a video game forum. If you're here, do you not base at least part of your identity on video games? What terms would you use to describe a person like that? At least cars are objectively useful to a majority of people.

That said, one thing about cars that irks me is something they share in common with clothing/accessories. For a lot of people, the main appeal is the statement they make about status, rather than any sort of practical or aesthetic appeal. Some people buy expensive things not because the product will benefit them, but simply because they're expensive and having one implies you can afford it which makes them feel superior to those who can't. Cars are one of the biggest ways people brag about their income because everyone is going to see your car.

But a lot of people just have a genuine passion for cars, and that's cool. I'm not one of them, but I don't expect everyone to share my interests. Why should I judge others for having passions that I don't care for?

Nope l, don't like them, never have, never will.

They're expensive and dangerous things. I've never been able to see the appeal, machine's like cars and other modes of transport have no place in my mind palace.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I'm indifferent. I think they're sort of impressive in what they can do, and as mentioned before, I can appreciate a good make and design. I really don't care all that much for speed since I'd never really be able to use it, but miles per gallon is a big factor as well as space so that I can move equipment when I gig.

I do have some friends really into vehicles, and I can understand it. One that comes to mind is also into motorbikes and has a degree in engineering and loves fixing up cars with his dad. It sounds like it was something that he and his dad really bonded over, and I definitely respect that.

My current car is dark blue with a black interior, and if it sits out, it makes me feel like I'm cooking alive in it once I first get in, so I guess next time, I'm going to get something a little less "cool" looking to me, but something that will be literally "cooler."

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
There used to be a time I didn't care much about car as long as it would bring me from point A to point Z. But after a while and of course more money spending on repairs and stuff I decided to look deeper into a car before buying myself one. I looked at the comfort, quality and of course the miles per gallon. And then I looked at the color. Now I love my car and I think it's cool. I don't mind what cars people drive. If they totally love it and are into cars and spend a huge lot of their time with cars they should totally do that. To each their own and sometimes it's really amazing how people can change "old" cars into something great.

I'm indifferent when it comes to getting the most expensive and fastest car with all latest technical gadgets. Or all the car building shows even though some do a beyond amazing job. I don't really care about that.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I mean they do have a certain charm so I get why some people love them but I’m not too deep into into it.

A car is mostly just a car and unless it has something that really stands out it doesn’t really matter to me. Which is kinda awkward because in my mechanical engineering school it’s like the hot topic and I just kinda get left out :shrugs:

Ninja

Well well well
I have a love/hate relationship with cars.

Financially, they suck. Cars are a constantly depreciating asset, a new car loses about 60% of its value the first four or so years you own it. That $30,000 SUV is only going to be worth $12,000 with the majority of people being upside down on a loan. The average car payment nowadays is $504 over an 84 month loan. That’s ridiculous and keeping a car payment around is one way people stay paycheck to paycheck.

Now, having said that, I can definitely admire cars. My first car was a crappy Pontiac G6. I’ve since driven a couple Hyundai Sonatas, a Mercedes Benz, and now a paid off BMW X3. I admire the performance and cosmetics of a well manufactured vehicle, and I certainly do my best to maintain them as much as possible. The feeling of zipping down the highway, music on, sunroof down, with my wife is just amazing.

Aside from that, most of the time our cars just get us from A to B. A car that is mechanically sound trumps any nice looking car any day of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom