• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do you think BotW's season mechanic exists?

In the new trailer we saw a shot of some green trees full of leaves which then faded to a shot of a similar location (not the same one) where it appeared to be autumn with red leaves of the tree falling to the ground.

We see villagers planting crops too, perhaps if a season mechanic does exist it will tie in to a more realisitic way of growing crops in game.

The temperature mechanic may play a role in the seasons too. Som warm areas like lakes or a shoreline could possibly become colder in game when its winter...

However with the shot of the trees not being the same location, and a season mechanic perhaps taking too long in game to do simple things like grow crops, do you think there actually is a season mechanic and if so do you think it would hinder the game more than improve its immersion?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't think there will be a real time season mechanic. It could be that as you progress in the story the seasons change. In WW it was originally planned for link to age as the story progressed and this could be a similar situation. It may also be the case that it is a different season in different areas rather than the season actually changing over time. What we do know i there will be a weather mechanic as we have seen you can randomly encounter rain, wind, storms or blizzards.

I suspect it might. After all, we've already got day and night, and presumably some sort of weather system. Seasons would be a fairly logical next step. And hey, they were already implemented in Pokemon Black and White, so Nintendo knows how to get it working well.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If not real-time seasons (that would kinda be a little unrealistic actually, depending on how long you play the game for you might only see one season the whole time), then probably specific areas with their own seasons year round. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that in a video game. And hey, who knows, maybe we'll get a Rod of Seasons type of mechanic. We can change from day to night by sitting in front of a fire, so.... For it to not be illogical, it would have to be some kind of magic item. There's already a Fire Rod, so magic weapons aren't out of the question. Most of the "technology" is pretty magical to begin with, it just LOOKS like sci-fi stuff. So it wouldn't surprise me if something like a Rod of Seasons existed in this game as well.

Depends on how it is implemented. Is it plot based, player driven like Oracle of Seasons, or does it have a real time progression of some sort.

I think it may be in there, because why show it if it is not? I understand the arguments given by those who say no, but it can be done right if properly planned.

The seasons could be purely aesthetic and not have any game play value apart from looknig pretty. If that's the case that'd be so cool and great attention to detail.

The amount of detail in BotW is making games like FF15 and Witcher 3 look average.

Tibari

Rinkuji
"It could be that as you progress in the story the seasons change."
That's a linear scenario idea, and Breath of the Wild is indeed anything but linear.
Maybe 1 month in in-game time equals to one season? Since you can skip time, having side effects on each season might not be a problem for those who don't want it.
However having seasons in an open wild world seems essential to the immersion.

FrozenDragon

Relatively Quirky
I think there's a good chance there'll be seasons, regardless of how the shots on the trailer were taken. I think it would be a great idea tbh, changing temperature, environmental effects, possibly even enemy behavior?

Even if it's made just for aesthetics, it would be a nice touch IMO.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
As I've previously brought up, at around 0:33 or 0:34, there is a tree with what appears to be cherry blossoms, possibly bringing a bit more evidence to the table.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I don't see an actual mechanical use for it, so likely not. Season changing is an interesting mechanic in games like Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon (them slice o' life games), but in an action-oriented game like Zelda, it feels unnecessary. It'll just be areas with completely different climates.

I always felt like Hyrule has a sort of temperate climate- Mediterranean maybe, or North Atlantic. Either that, or we've never seen it in anything other than spring/summer.

Going off TP, the north of Hyrule can be bitterly cold (high altitudes in Snowpeak), and seasons seem to vary such that there are four distinct seasons (Fishing Hole), while in the south, there doesn't seem to be much variation. Obviously at some point in the year, the conditions are good for growing pumpkins:cool:

But lmao, that's all theory jargon. Will there be seasons in BotW? I don't think they'd so heavily imply it in the trailer if they weren't going to deliver. Maybe certain regions will vary, and others will be pretty temperate. It's not an impossible feat-- Skyrim has seasons, though I'm not sure to what extent it affects the world.

I always felt like Hyrule has a sort of temperate climate- Mediterranean maybe, or North Atlantic. Either that, or we've never seen it in anything other than spring/summer.

Going off TP, the north of Hyrule can be bitterly cold (high altitudes in Snowpeak), and seasons seem to vary such that there are four distinct seasons (Fishing Hole), while in the south, there doesn't seem to be much variation. Obviously at some point in the year, the conditions are good for growing pumpkins:cool:

But lmao, that's all theory jargon. Will there be seasons in BotW? I don't think they'd so heavily imply it in the trailer if they weren't going to deliver. Maybe certain regions will vary, and others will be pretty temperate. It's not an impossible feat-- Skyrim has seasons, though I'm not sure to what extent it affects the world.

Skyrim has seasons? Ive totally not noticed 0.0

Night Owl

~Momentai
If there is a season mechanic, I suspect that it would primarily change weather conditions such as thunderstorms happening more frequently in the Spring or Summer, or making more areas require warm clothing in the winter.
It could also lead to the opportunity to conceal/reveal hidden paths such as a cave behind a waterfall being accessible in the winter when the waterfall quits flowing.

There are plenty of cool ways that they can use seasons, But there is part of me that thinks we are starting to hope for too much. Even if there are seasons, I don't know that I expect anything more than aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom