• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think a Steampunk Themed Zelda Game Would Be Good?

DLC

Soul Drummer.
I love steampunk, but I don't think Zelda would fit into it well. Ganondorf riding on his steam powered automaton? no thanks. A Steampunk elder scrolls on the other hand... Clockwork dragons and cannons firing into them, a gritty underground universe... *sighs*.

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
I think that it could be amazing. I'm not saying that it would be amazing, but it could be. Final Fantasy was a medieval fantasy series, but started shifting to the use of more futuristic elements around Final Fantasy VI. VII was heavily steampunk in style, and the latest games are even cyberpunk! The games are all generally well-received, though. Nobody says "Final Fantasy XIII is a bad game because it was a cyberpunk setting when the series roots are in medieval fantasy." Not at all. They say that it's a bad game because it's incredibly linear and does away with many staples of the series. No Zelda game is going to go full-out steampunk in the aesthetic sense, but I could easily see a game using many steampunk elements. After all, look at what the series has done already. Steamboats, steam engines, Great Bay Temple, Lanayru Mining Facility, the beetle, the hookshot, the clockwork architecture in Clock Town, the robots in Skyward Sword and Goht--a robotic bull--in Majora's Mask. The genre is incredibly flexible and if done right, a shift towards the use of more steampunk elements could breathe fresh air into such a formulaic series. As long as the series sticks to its roots in terms of gameplay and tone, it could easily be done.

More Steampunk themes would be great in another Zelda game. I don't know if I'd want the entire game to have that aesthetic though.

Well we had trains... so we already had steam. But as for an ENTIRE game with steampunk... YES!!! I love steampunk and I am quite obsessed with it. One thing that always confused me about spirit tracks was why there weren't any guns. Trains were invented before guns... right?

No, guns came first. We have had them for probably about 500 years

Well the beetle was going to be a rocket glove which screams steampunk to me, i love steampunk and it'd be nice to see a steampunk Zelda; though it shouldn't be made because it'd make Zelda too sensationalist and people would begin demanding other style to be put too it too, As soon as we get steampunk people will thk its a new era of Zelda and start screaming for cyberpunk and deiselpunk and by that point zelda would have strayed too far into the final fantasy world.

The train in spirit tracks tracks meant nothing either. Technology can still advance in a fantasy setting like Zelda without it changing its theme to something like steampunk. I even thought if there was going to be a sequel to Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks that Link would have some kind of air transport like a Zeppelin or something like that but it still wouldn't make it steampunk, it'd make it a creation within that world that fit into its own style. An advance in technology within Zelda may not necessarily mean a time jump or style change.

I

ImpaMale

Zelda has had steampunk elements for awhile now. If you bombed Gossip Stones in OoT they would blast off into space!:lol: That being said I would not like to see Zelda go 100% steampunk, or anything else that they don't already do. A Zeppelin transport would be cool, I like that idea.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
To everyone saying that Zelda is medieval....it's not. It's a fantasy game. The term fantasy can mean pretty much anything....including steampunk. People said that the WW style wasn't Zelda...it was childish and dumb. They were proven wrong. Zelda makes styles work for it. It's not set on just medieval.

Now I would really like a steampunk Zelda. Besides it makes perfect sense for that to be the next style of Zelda. Zelda games are all about each having their own unique style for the most part. You have the cell shaded cartoon of WW, PH, ST....Water Colors of SS....Realism of TP.....what other style could they really do? Besides, think of how great a steampunked Zelda in HD would be. You can have the characters have awesome crazy outfits that would fit great with Zelda, Steampunk items could give new items for Link's arsenal, beautiful town with interesting architecture.....the ideas are just amazing I think.

I really want this and I hope that Zelda Wii U does this.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Steampunk themed Zelda game would be an excellent game, and I'd say they could be an excellent abovepar Zelda game in the Zelda tier list (cue:JJ). Just depends on how they pull it off! The Zelda Cycle predicts that this theoretical Steampunk title will be hated (should it be 3D, that is) then sometime after the next 3D release, Steampunk title will receive a backlash of love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom