• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Do You Think a Majora's Mask Remake Is on the Way?

Do you think a Majora's Mask remake is on the way?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
OoT 3DS didn't sell that well...and it's too early to count ALBW, especially since it hasn't even hit the 1m mark yet. Not to mention ALBW can't be compared to a remake.

The only ounce of hope there is for a remake is that Nintendo has a knack for ignoring the best business decisions and doing whatever they heck they want. So against all good judgement, they could make MM 3DS to appease the fans...but then again, Nintendo also has a knack for ignoring their fans.

OOT3D didn't sell well? Compared to what: Mario? Of course it wouldn't, but compared to all other games on the 3DS it sold very well. And ALBW has gotten rave reviews and from what I understand it's sold at least 1.62 million units. MM3D would be a great business decision as I've already stated. Why do you think it wouldn't be?

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
OoT 3DS didn't sell that well...and it's too early to count ALBW, especially since it hasn't even hit the 1m mark yet. Not to mention ALBW can't be compared to a remake.

The only ounce of hope there is for a remake is that Nintendo has a knack for ignoring the best business decisions and doing whatever they heck they want. So against all good judgement, they could make MM 3DS to appease the fans...but then again, Nintendo also has a knack for ignoring their fans.

What? How?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
OOT3D didn't sell well? Compared to what: Mario? Of course it wouldn't, but compared to all other games on the 3DS it sold very well. And ALBW has gotten rave reviews and from what I understand it's sold at least 1.62 million units. MM3D would be a great business decision as I've already stated. Why do you think it wouldn't be?

Interesting. I'm using VGsales for the sake of organization. Not counting remakes (this includes FS, since it was on a remake), and ALBW (it's too new) the series average is 4.38m sales. If I remove the outlier (FSA), the average is 4.62. If you don't believe Link's Crossbow Training should be counted, the average is 4.6 even. Not only did OoT 3DS fail to make the average, but it sold less than half of the original.

If you compare it to other Zelda remakes, it's not too bad though. Still, overall it seems that Zelda remakes in general are expected to sell half of their original title. There is yet to be any outlier with significant favor over 50%. However, not only was MM a poor selling title to begin, but with Wind Waker HD, we are given a lower outlier in favor of a game selling far worse than its original title.

The current remake with the best fraction of sales from the original is aLttP remake at 59%. Therefore, the best we could hope for in a MM 3DS remake is roughly 2m maximum. This is, again, the best case scenario right now. The worst case scenario is that it does as bad as WWHD. Either way, it's not even going to make half of the series' average. Thus, from a business point of view, Nintendo is better off perusing other ideas. Even with other developers, there's still TP and SS for possible remakes. Both did better than MM initially did and SS needs a remake on a system that can handle M+, which may not happen next gen.

Last edited:

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Interesting. I'm using VGsales for the sake of organization. Not counting remakes (this includes FS, since it was on a remake), and ALBW (it's too new) the series average is 4.38m sales. If I remove the outlier (FSA), the average is 4.62. If you don't believe Link's Crossbow Training should be counted, the average is 4.6 even. Not only did OoT 3DS fail to make the average, but it sold less than half of the original.

If you compare it to other Zelda remakes, it's not too bad though. Still, overall it seems that Zelda remakes in general are expected to sell half of their original title. There is yet to be any outlier with significant favor over 50%. However, not only was MM a poor selling title to begin, but with Wind Waker HD, we are given a lower outlier in favor of a game selling far worse than its original title.

The current remake with the best fraction of sales from the original is aLttP remake at 59%. Therefore, the best we could hope for in a MM 3DS remake is roughly 2m maximum. This is, again, the best case scenario right now. The worst case scenario is that it does as bad as WWHD. Either way, it's not even going to make half of the series' average. Thus, from a business point of view, Nintendo is better off perusing other ideas. Even with other developers, there's still TP and SS for possible remakes. Both did better than MM initially did and SS needs a remake on a system that can handle M+, which may not happen next gen.

Again you are not quite understanding, I'm not comparing to the Zelda series but to 3DS games. Nothing they ever release on the 3DS will ever match up to what the series has done previously, because the 3DS hasn't sold well enough to get to that point. Compared to other 3DS games, in other words the current competition, the Zelda games have sold quite well comparingly. The only thing that has sold a major percent more are Mario games and Pokemon X and Y (you might be able to include Animal Crossing and Nintendogs+cats, but I haven't been able to find good up to date information, which is going to be a problem when are talking about sales in the here and now). Even the site (VGsales) you mentioned hasn't seemed to updated it's information since December on the sales of ALBW (I looked at the revision history).

I also want to ask you to forget it is a remake for one minute; because for most of the audience, as Fig helped show earlier, wouldn't know it was one either. Since Zelda games are, or at least seem to me, some of the best selling on the 3DS it probably is something Nintendo would look into more. Why not start with this thing they've been referencing left and right? Why not give their new audience something different from this series that they have thrown their money at? It's a small risk, but really, how much would they have to lose? Is it really that much more of a risk then going through tons of R&D to create a new Zelda 3DS when they basically have very little of that to do with MM3D? A game which is the sequel to an already proven game on this console? It looks to me like an easy profit.

DarkestLink

Again you are not quite understanding, I'm not comparing to the Zelda series but to 3DS games. Nothing they ever release on the 3DS will ever match up to what the series has done previously, because the 3DS hasn't sold well enough to get to that point.

1) Console sales are irrelevant for games like Zelda. The people who buy Zelda games are Nintendo loyalists. And if they like what they hear and see about a Zelda title they will buy it. The fickle non-gamer crowd that Nintendo had for the Wii isn't interested.

2) As of now, the 3DS has sold over 34m. OoT is the 2nd best selling game in the series and it was sold on the N64...the N64 that only reached 32m sales in its LIFETIME. If an N64 title can reach 7m, then so can a Zelda title on the 3DS. Especially since it's cheaper than an N64 title was.

Compared to other 3DS games,

Apples to oranges. You're comparing completely different game series now.

I also want to ask you to forget it is a remake for one minute; because for most of the audience, as Fig helped show earlier, wouldn't know it was one either.

How stupid do you think gamers are? o_O

Since Zelda games are, or at least seem to me, some of the best selling on the 3DS it probably is something Nintendo would look into more. Why not start with this thing they've been referencing left and right?

Because an original title would probably make more money.

Why not give their new audience something different from this series that they have thrown their money at?

How is a remake something different? They've been doing a lot of remakes lately.

It's a small risk, but really, how much would they have to lose?

It's not how much they will lose, it's how much they won't gain.

Is it really that much more of a risk then going through tons of R&D to create a new Zelda 3DS when they basically have very little of that to do with MM3D? A game which is the sequel to an already proven game on this console? It looks to me like an easy profit.

It could be an easy profit...if someone else did it. But Nintendo could make even more money with a new title.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
1) Console sales are irrelevant for games like Zelda. The people who buy Zelda games are Nintendo loyalists. And if they like what they hear and see about a Zelda title they will buy it. The fickle non-gamer crowd that Nintendo had for the Wii isn't interested.

2) As of now, the 3DS has sold over 34m. OoT is the 2nd best selling game in the series and it was sold on the N64...the N64 that only reached 32m sales in its LIFETIME. If an N64 title can reach 7m, then so can a Zelda title on the 3DS. Especially since it's cheaper than an N64 title was.

Apples to oranges. You're comparing completely different game series now.

How stupid do you think gamers are? o_O

Because an original title would probably make more money.

How is a remake something different? They've been doing a lot of remakes lately.

It's not how much they will lose, it's how much they won't gain.

It could be an easy profit...if someone else did it. But Nintendo could make even more money with a new title.

Please read all of my previous posts if you haven't and then get rid your ignorance and arrogance about "gamers". Most "gamers" these days are what you could call casual "gamers". Most gamers these days have never touched a Nintendo 64. These so called "gamers" aren't stupid either, they just aren't like us "Nintendo loyalists" who know everything about Nintendo products.

Do you know why OOT3D didn't sell as well as the original? Because there weren't as many choices to pick from back then as there are today. And It's not comparing "apples to oranges" when you are talking about sales of games on the same console, they are all "apples" (or oranges if you prefer). Games have always been judged based on what other games from the same console have sold.

And lastly, MM3D would be seen as a new title to most as I have explained before, so it would probably make just as any other new title. Stop assuming that the whole gaming world knows just as much as you do, because they don't.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
On the Thread Topic

I think it's rather inevitable. Nintendo is very catered towards it's fan base and I doubt they would ignore the masses of people who desperately want a remake. For one, it gives the company a bad image and it will be an opportunity loss. Then you have the fact that Nintendo are very keen on the idea of remakes as a whole. They know it's a good way to make money and increase the qualityand line-up of said console.

Truth be told I never saw The Wind Waker HD coming, but now I realise it made sense due it's lack of availability. Majora's Mask makes sense because it's widely conceived as the best in the series, It's brother was released not too long ago, and it's been a good few years since the initial release. I'm not too picky on graphics, but it would be nice to see one of my all-time favourite games with a bit of a makeover.

Is it a Good Idea?

I think it's a great idea, why wouldn't it be? Like mentioned above: the game is, what, 13+ years old now? It's a good time to introduce it to the more modern fans who've never had a chance to play it, or who overlooked it due it's age. Not only does it sell to that crowd, but it sells to the fans who have already played it. I can guarantee a good chunk of the people who bought OoT3D and WWHD had already previously owned, or had completed the game.

The idea of this game on a portable device is something people want. Then you have the upgrade in graphics, controls, and gameplay. Maybe even the possibility of new features? This will sell and it will sell well in relation to 3DS success. A remake of Majora's Mask not only gives Nintendo some money in their pocket, it adds to the ever growing and quality library of its highly successful, the Nintendo 3DS.

DarkestLink

Please read all of my previous posts if you haven't and then get rid your ignorance and arrogance about "gamers". Most "gamers" these days are what you could call casual "gamers". Most gamers these days have never touched a Nintendo 64. These so called "gamers" aren't stupid either, they just aren't like us "Nintendo loyalists" who know everything about Nintendo products.

That's...rather insulting to casual gamers. Consider that a lot of the people on these forums are casual before you make statements like that. And honestly, none of us know everything about Nintendo products. But we know the basics. If we didn't, we wouldn't even be gamers at all. Also, casuals are not the majority. They are small minority. They are easily outnumbered by hardcore gamers and even non-gamers (when they are present in the market, as they were with the Wii). If casuals were a majority, the non-Wii Nintendo systems wouldn't be selling so poorly.

Do you know why OOT3D didn't sell as well as the original? Because there weren't as many choices to pick from back then as there are today.

The 3DS had a poor library when OoT3DS came out and Zelda has a larger reputation than it did when the original came out.

And It's not comparing "apples to oranges" when you are talking about sales of games on the same console, they are all "apples" (or oranges if you prefer). Games have always been judged based on what other games from the same console have sold.

No. You are comparing series to each other. In Nintendo platforms, the selling order is usually the same with Mario and Pokemon dominating, Zelda in 3rd place, Donkey Kong and Metroid fighting for 4th and 5th, and Kirby in 6th. Some series are more popular than others and the name alone is going to sell the series. That's why Mario is going to keep outselling Zelda, no matter how critically acclaimed the games are. Likewise Zelda is going to outsell Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Kirby because it's a bigger name. You can compare the series success to each other, but trying to compare games from different series is inaccurate as a series' success will influence a game's success.

In the end, no matter how good or bad a Zelda game is...of course it's going to sell better than the less popular Nintendo series and unknown third party series.

And lastly, MM3D would be seen as a new title to most as I have explained before, so it would probably make just as any other new title.

No...it wouldn't. Just because someone just game as much as you do doesn't mean they're illiterate imbeciles. I could bring OoT3DS to my nephew...he's 7...and he'd be able to tell it's a remake. Why? Because it's on the box. And he's not even old enough to play it.

Stop assuming that the whole gaming world knows just as much as you do, because they don't.

I'm a casual gamer, so yes, I would expect casuals (and especially hardcore gamers) to grasp such basic knowledge. Also, a large part of your argument relies on the consumer being a newcomer to the series. The majority of consumers are fans, and what Zelda fan doesn't know what Majora's Mask is? And if you're literate enough to play Zelda, you will easily realize from the commercials (and the fine print) that MM3DS is a remake. The name alone heavily implies it's a remake.

I'm curious...why do you expect it to do better than OOT3DS? You're main argument for it doing well in general not only defies all previous history with Zelda remakes, but is completely unfounded and relies on a completely stupid illiterate deaf market that apparently didn't exist until now.

EDIT: Here's something from Nathanial Rumphol-Janc...one of the founders of Operation Moonfall.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articl...proved-majoras-mask-isnt-popular#.Us32XrT9wbY

Last edited:

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
That's...rather insulting to casual gamers. Consider that a lot of the people on these forums are casual before you make statements like that. And honestly, none of us know everything about Nintendo products. But we know the basics. If we didn't, we wouldn't even be gamers at all. Also, casuals are not the majority. They are small minority. They are easily outnumbered by hardcore gamers and even non-gamers (when they are present in the market, as they were with the Wii). If casuals were a majority, the non-Wii Nintendo systems wouldn't be selling so poorly.

The 3DS had a poor library when OoT3DS came out and Zelda has a larger reputation than it did when the original came out.

No. You are comparing series to each other. In Nintendo platforms, the selling order is usually the same with Mario and Pokemon dominating, Zelda in 3rd place, Donkey Kong and Metroid fighting for 4th and 5th, and Kirby in 6th. Some series are more popular than others and the name alone is going to sell the series. That's why Mario is going to keep outselling Zelda, no matter how critically acclaimed the games are. Likewise Zelda is going to outsell Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Kirby because it's a bigger name. You can compare the series success to each other, but trying to compare games from different series is inaccurate as a series' success will influence a game's success.

In the end, no matter how good or bad a Zelda game is...of course it's going to sell better than the less popular Nintendo series and unknown third party series.

No...it wouldn't. Just because someone just game as much as you do doesn't mean they're illiterate imbeciles. I could bring OoT3DS to my nephew...he's 7...and he'd be able to tell it's a remake. Why? Because it's on the box. And he's not even old enough to play it.

I'm a casual gamer, so yes, I would expect casuals (and especially hardcore gamers) to grasp such basic knowledge. Also, a large part of your argument relies on the consumer being a newcomer to the series. The majority of consumers are fans, and what Zelda fan doesn't know what Majora's Mask is? And if you're literate enough to play Zelda, you will easily realize from the commercials (and the fine print) that MM3DS is a remake. The name alone heavily implies it's a remake.

I'm curious...why do you expect it to do better than OOT3DS? You're main argument for it doing well in general not only defies all previous history with Zelda remakes, but is completely unfounded and relies on a completely stupid illiterate deaf market that apparently didn't exist until now.

EDIT: Here's something from Nathanial Rumphol-Janc...one of the founders of Operation Moonfall.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articl...proved-majoras-mask-isnt-popular#.Us32XrT9wbY

Please reread this thread, that article was already posted and I mentioned it before. And again you're making the same assumptions that nearly every gamer who has a 3DS is already a fan. Why would you think this? You're still ignoring a large part of the target audience of those who got a 3DS with little to no prior knowledge of Nintendo. I'm not being insulting to anyone in this forum, you're just trying to take things out of context to make me look like the "big bad wolf". You knew when I stated "casual" I didn't mean the type of "casual" gamer that would use a forum for the game series in question. It was meant to be a term to describe those who weren't very well acquainted with Nintendo products, but I'm guessing you already knew that and how would that make them "illiterate imbeciles"? From past experience with people of all ages, "reading boxes" isn't something us humans are known for, I've even failed to do it a ton of times before. They also could easily hide that fact pretty well if they were truly that worried about it. Finally, when did I say I expected it to do better than OOT3D?

P.S. From a fellow "casual" gamer, I'm sorry if if I came across as insulting to "casual" gamers on this site

I haven't really read any articles on the subject, so it's hard to say yes or no. But a lot of people seem to want it, so there's at least a market for it. That makes me lean toward 'yes'.
(Personally, I hope for a 3DS release.)

Salem

SICK
Forget about the actual sales standings for one minute, what is OoT3D's position in the best selling games for the 3DS? It's 9th.

What are the franchises that outsold the game? Mario, Animal Crossing, Pokemon and the game Monster Hunter 4(it's a Japanese release only).

All I'm saying is that if you're gonna say that Zelda is "not successful" than does that mean only 8 games were ever a success in your eyes and the rest are commercial failures? Really?

EDIT: This is coming from someone who doesn't care about a MM remake.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

@Sroa Link

Again, apples to oranges...it's a Zelda game...it's gonna rank up high in sales no matter what. Well no, that's not true...there's also the possibility that it could completely fail in every way, but that's so unlikely (even Links Crossbow Training did well) that it's not worth considering. I'm sure MM 3DS would make them a nice profit. It's a Zelda game, of course it will. Just because a game didn't live up to the expectations of its franchise doesn't mean it did poorly overall.

When comparing Zelda to Zelda, you can compare "success" and "failure".

When comparing Zelda to other titles, it's comparing "success", to "greater success".

Would MM 3DS too poorly overall? Probably not, unless it did as bad as WWHD. But an original Zelda title would still do better.

Salem

SICK
Again, apples to oranges...it's a Zelda game...it's gonna rank up high in sales no matter what. Well no, that's not true...there's also the possibility that it could completely fail in every way, but that's so unlikely (even Links Crossbow Training did well) that it's not worth considering. I'm sure MM 3DS would make them a nice profit. It's a Zelda game, of course it will. Just because a game didn't live up to the expectations of its franchise doesn't mean it did poorly overall.

When comparing Zelda to Zelda, you can compare "success" and "failure".

When comparing Zelda to other titles, it's comparing "success", to "greater success".

Would MM 3DS too poorly overall? Probably not, unless it did as bad as WWHD. But an original Zelda title would still do better.
If that's the case, then would't it's kinda pointless to discuss if it's successful or not.

DarkestLink

If that's the case, then would't it's kinda pointless to discuss if it's successful or not.

Depends on how you see success.

One person might see success as whether or not you made a profit. Someone else with higher standards would judge it on whether they got their ideal amount of profit or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom