• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you tend to prefer 2D or 3D platformers?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I personally lean towards favoring 3D platformers.

I prefer the wider range of movement. Gives me more freedom (in most instances) to correct platformingmistakes, and the nature of being designed for a 3D environment tends to allow for greater creative potential with how the worlds are designed. Not in every instance, but it seems to be the case quite often.

But what about you? Do you find yourself preferring one or the other? Or do you have no preference at all, and it just depends on the individual game?

A game that specifically intended as a platformer, I tend to prefer 2d, as I find it easier to judge my jumps. Only problem is, because 2d platformers have all the visual information you need on screen, they often go toward the direction of precision platforming and I'm awful at that. But I do appreciate the more parkour-type gameplay of some 3d platformers; I just will probably have depth perception problems for most of it.

I'm bad at platforming in general so if I get a game with platforming focus, I'm already prepared for that either way. But I generally catch on and function better in a 2d environment for this type of gameplay.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I'm not much of a platformer, but for the games I do play I tend to prefer 3d. There's so much interesting stuff they're able to with the backgrounds and perspectives that just make it an interesting experience. That's important for a game you can only really see from one side. It adds interest. Of course, if done wrong it's pretty distracting. But when you have games like Donkey Kong Tropic Freeze, you really appreciate it.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
3D platformers because they feel more immersive and like you are on an adventure. The problem I have with 2D platformers is that they feel very restrictive and repetitive at times.

I prefer 3D platformers because they provide greater depth perception and a wider range of movement. Some 3D platformers can be side-scrolling, though.

Pac Man World: 20th Anniversary comes to mind.

Some 2D platformers play well, however.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
When I think of platformers, the first image that pops into my head are 2d platformers. I personally gravitate towards them way more often, I love the art and how concise the gameplay is. Ori is a great one. I also love Super Metroid from what I've played of it. I think I like how when I go through an area thoroughly it feels like I've explored it all, where 3d platformer don't have quite the same feeling. Like A Link in Time said, they're fun to 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom