• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Still Buy DVDs/Blu-rays?

Do you still buy DVDs/Blu-rays?

• Yes, fairly often

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Yes, from time to time

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Yes, rarely

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
With more and more people moving towards streaming only for their content, I'm curious if you guys still purchase some DVDs and/or Blu-rays from time to time?

It's definitely a lot less than 10 or so years ago but I still pick up some movies and TV shows to own physically from time to time. Last year I bought the full Blu-ray collections for Harry Potter, Mad Max, and Jurassic Park/World as those are movies I know I'll want to revisit over and over again throughout the years. I'd like to pick up Toy Story 4 sometime on Blu-ray just to complete the series as we still have our VHSs of the first two from when my brothers and I were kids and Toy Story 3 on Blu-ray. As far as TV shows go, I recently picked up the complete Blu-ray collection for Samurai Jack. Definitely one of my favorite TV shows from the 2000s and the final season in 2017 was the best one.

So do you still buy DVDs and/or Blu-rays or are you all digital now with streaming services like Netflix and Disney+? And if you do, what are some of your latest purchases?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I haven't bought a DVD/Blu-ray in a long time (the last one being the Star Wars: Complete Saga collection), but I've had a few that I'd want to get for the sake of having them in an easily viewable, physical format, namely the complete Blu-ray Avatar: the Last Airbender set, as well as a couple other films/TV series.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I do. I even just received a collection of Scream 1,2, and 3 on dvd for Christmas.
I've gotten every season of Supernatural on dvd after they've came out, so this last since is the only one I need now.

I wanna get Avatar and Korra on dvd at some point. And add more to my horror collection.

It's pretty convenient to pick up a dvd or two here and there since a lot of them are so cheap now. And not everything is on streaming services. Plus I like to have something I can watch if the internet goes out.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I am a frequent buyer of physical media in general. I love box art when they do them properly and my internet connection isn’t good enough to support streaming UHD content without excessive buffering (especially if someone else is trying to use it to do something else with it at the same time).

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I prefer owning physical versions of media I enjoy. My internet speed is ok, but I still prefer watching physical versions of movies and shows I love without having to deal with buffering. The main thing is for displaying purposes, I'd rather show my physical collection of something than gather people around a screen to see what is available to stream.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Depends on the movie really. Some I just want to have, like the LotR trilogy, along with the Hobbit-movies and the Warcraft movie for example. Also, I have Kung Pow. Such a masterpiece!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I hadn't purchased any in years until recently when I saw a special on some studio Ghibli Blu-Rays and I snapped them up. Other than those I don't really feel like owning them in the physical medium is good for me given that I already have so many games taking enough space up as it is.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I do, thought I'm not consistent about it. Blu-Rays are still my preferred way of purchasing media. Until I can access internet everywhere without fail, all offline options are better to me. Heck, I'm the sort of PC gamer still bothered by the dominance of software like Steam, Epic, and Uplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom