• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Stick With Your Starter?

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
So at the start of every Pokemon game you receive a starter Pokemon. This usually (for me) goes on to be one of my strongest Pokemon that I stick with for the rest of the game. But once you have an opportunity to leave it, do you? Like when you can obtain stronger Pokemon over Global Trades of Download Events or any other way. Do always stick with your starter Pokemon?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
If it's a good starter, yes. The Gen II starters to me felt extremely weak so I never kept them with me long. The starters from the other generations all seemed stronger so I kept them with me. I usually picked the one that I thought could carry me through most the game. But normally I do end up getting a stronger team. But that's usually after I beat the main story.

Mubble

Pokémon Pusher
Generally, I try to make an informed decision at the start when choosing the starter and I often have stuck with them throughout the game. Since it is obviously going to have a slight headstart, I have a chance to make it quite powerful and a bit of a workhorse to blast through - so I will focus on my starter for a while and if it is doing well and I get a good moveset going, then it will normally end up being one of my highest level through to the end. I've even transferred some of my favorite starters from other regions and games into new ones for my team.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I always kept my G2 starters, but from G3 onwards I would get rid of them as soon as I possibly could, with the exception of Turtwig. I don't keep them because they're strong (in fact, I'm sure some of the starters I got RID of were pretty strong in their own right), I keep them because I love their designs and how they serve me in a battle. Sure, the objective is to put your enemy to shame. But, where's the fun if you can wipe everything in one hit using only one move? Where's the fun if you can only spam one move to win? And that is why I keep some starters, because their movepool excites me and they're somewhat useful though not OP in a battle.

jack546

The chosen one
yes charmander will always be with me no matter how manny times i have to annoy my friends to borrow thier gameboy/DS

1st Gen starters: always. It just feels wrong to leave them into a box (probably because of nostalgic feelings and having formed some sort of emotional attachment to the original starters - Red was my first Pokémon game).

Others...really depends, they may be useful sometimes even if they're base stats are the typical starter Pokémon stats, but usually as the game progresses there are several a lot more useful Pokémons that fit and compliment the ingame team better.

Conor

the over analysing guy
my starter is my permanent bro, I always have them in my final team, even if they suck, like chikorita :lol:

I always keep them. My starter is like my partner in my game and I wouldn't have the heart to stuff it in a PC. It's also a good thing that each starter is fairly strong and well-designed.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
I keep my starter throughout the game, at least until the Elite Four- but not necessarily for strength. I feel that keeping your starter is sort of a traditional thing and it just kind of feels strange to dump it in a PC box or trade it.

Also, I never pick Pokemon for strength- I do it for how they look and if I like 'em. Sure, I'll keep my team balanced and not pick up a Goldeen after I chose a Squirtle, but I choose Pokemon on personal preference.

Beeker

Wild Card
I keep my starters with me all the time. For how long it depends. Usually I'll keep them all the way through the main game to the end of the Elite four, and for any extra stuff afterwards. After that, some go in the PC. Others I may choose to train even more, and perhaps raise to a higher level.

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
The only starter I ever didn't stick with was Turtwig. It evolved into Torterra and has solidified my dislike for grass-type starters. Snivy has since redeemed that dislike. I generally pick the water starters after Generation III. It seems rather uncreative that every fire starter since Generation III has been Fire/Fighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom