• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Replay Games?

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
(I'm sorry if there's a similar thread to this. I tried searching but I couldn't find a thread like this.)

So as the thread says, do you replay games once you finish them? Why do you replay them? Is it just because you want and need to understand the story more? Or if you don't, is it just because you didn't like the game?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I try to replay my games but the only factor that makes me replay games is their gameplay. I've replayed Fire Emblem: Awakening for its story but that is ONLY because I am a huge FE fanboy. Otherwise the reason is gameplay being engrossing and nothing more.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Eh, it depends if I like the game or not. Sometimes I'll just play a game and then never touch it again. Other times I'll play through the game and consistently play through it again, and again, and again.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I'll replay some games, if i feel like playing them again, but usually those games have something more to offer a 2nd time thru, or were solid enough to merit it. Some games are pretty much just play once and there is no motivation to go back.

It really depends on the game. Most games that are story driven don't do it for me unless I specifically want to revisit that story again. Other games where you can pretty much play your own way and make your second playthrough a completely different experience are games I really love playing. There are some games too with splitting paths that make me wanna replay and experience the other side, sometimes making it into its own game. :)

Seriously. Can't stop playing LttP, Super Metroid or Dark Souls for that reason.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Yes, I replay games. I do it because I really enjoyed them and would like to revisit the world they are in. Doesn't matter to me that I already know where to go and what to do. When I am playing I am in the middle of the story itself (and sometimes when I replay a game I haven't played in years there are plenty of things I've forgotten so it becomes like a new discovery, kinda like re-reading a book or re-watching a movie/tv-show, my mind can't retain absolutely all of the information). If it is such a game I try to do it better this time around, faster, more accurate, maybe try out different ways of doing things.

I think games, like everything else out there are meant to be enjoyed over and over again.

Mido

Version 1
Replaying games, YES I DO! If a game just appeals to me greatly, I'll keep on playing for days/months on end. I've replayed countless Zelda games (Wind Waker mainly), Mario games, and many Sonic games on the line as well. I tend to like to take creative liberties on these playthroughs.

Skittles

Rainbows!
This is a Zelda forum. We replay games. It's almost a given. xD

So yeah, I do. I'm not like many though, I usually replay games if I really enjoyed the story or the characters. Gameplay isn't that important to me as long as it doesn't get in the way... Sometimes I replay a game just because I did enjoy its gameplay, like Kid Icarus, but this is super rare because honestly good gameplay doesn't usually keep my addition for that long...It's like I have ADHA or something to that effect...D;

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
This is a Zelda forum. We replay games. It's almost a given. xD

I wouldn't say so...most people seem to play through their games one or two times and after that, they act like it's sheer agony to go through again.

Dan

It all depends on the game, like Lucia said if it's really story driven I often find it difficult to play through a second time. With the exception that multiple elements of a story can be altered by player alterations. Combine this with compelling and addictive game play and you have yourself a great re playable game, not to mention games that allow you to alter your play style are another element for great replay value. Deus Ex I find is a good example of combining all these.
It's not that I dislike story driven games, it's just I don't find game or movies for that matter as great when replaying them. I need a long waiting period before I can do again.

To conclude, I' say I replay a fair amount of games.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Depends on the game.

Some games do lend themselves to multiple playthroughs. For instance, the Resident Evil games; I always have to go back through on the harder difficulties to try and unlock those special guns and the like which you get when doing so. I'm just starting to replay Resident Evil: Revelations through again on Infernal difficulty for instance. The Witcher games also have such branching paths and rich RPG features I can play-through each of those games and never really feel it's the same old thing, which is cool. If a game doesn't lend itself to much replayability, I might play it again a few years down the line for a bit of fun and nostalgia.

I rarely play storyline-centric titles through again, though. Games like Walking Dead, Crisis Core, and most recently Bioshock: Infinite, because so much of the experience is in those amazingly written storylines, and when that's ruined for you it's hard to get back into the game again. The gameplay's solid but, I dunno, I just can't seem to do it. :P I can replay games with **** stories all the time but, yeah, good storyline'd games rarely get a second-outing unless they're just damn amazing. Infinite got a half-done second playthrough just so I could see certain bits again. It all made sense now!

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
For me, it really depends on the game, and how I felt about it last time.
A prime and perfect example is Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies. Quite a while ago, I had played Dragon Quest VIII and loved it, so I decided to get DQ9. Long story short, my first playthrough was somewhat of a letdown. I felt that it was far too short, and I was pretty unhappy about it. Just last Friday, though, I picked the game back up after about a year, and restarted everything. This being my second playthrough, I love it. I'm not sure what I was thinking before, the pacing so far is great and it has all of the classic Dragon Quest elements.

Anyways, back on topic. If I liked the game a lot the first playthrough, I might replay it (ex. Portal 2). If I hardly liked the game, I may or may not give it a second chance depending on how bored I am. If the game was aiight, I probably won't go back and replay it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom