• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Reach the Daily Norm....

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
...of calories :P I guess you all have heard of the standard. We have to eat like 2100 calories a day (it depends for genders and children) and the best thing to do is to eat a certain amount of food, leave some things out, move and all this blablabla. Well I'm not talking about diets but ask straight: do you get to that norm or do you eat more or less? And do you also do the adviced things like eating breakfast, eating a certain amount of fruits etc. Well I'm honest I don't. I don't even pay attention to my food pattern except that I never eat breakfast. I never did when I was a kid and still don't do it. Fruits? Neither. So yeah I'm a pretty bad example :P Now what about you?

What is calories?

/aurrie doesn't eat much food

But, uh, I'm usually under the normal number of calories since I don't eat much throughout the day and try to keep my diet to various of things that I can afford with my money and things that I need. I barely eat fruits like I want to along with veggies, I don't eat lots of meats or grains unless it varies on what I make on my days off from work. I'm just a weird piece of **** lol

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm on a bulk at the moment as I just recently came off a cut and decided I wanted to reach 185lbs by the end of summer. Cutting and Bulking are basically fancy phrases in muscle building: Cut = increasing muscle definition/losing body fat | Bulk = basically putting on weight to gain muscle mass rather than definition.

However I'm not going crazy over board with a the diet like some; I'm on a clean Bulk, which is still eating on the healthy side, but essentially just eating more. Anyway, currently on weight training days I eat 3000-3200 calories while on off days I eat 2100.

Diet wise I tend to eat rather healthy. Lots of protein, veg, and I try to keep fat and sugar low for this particular diet. I eat (per day) around 220g of protein, 370g of carbs, and around 50g of fat. Of course this changes on days that I don't work out, but that's the general gist of it.

Sorry for rambling on, lol.

Last edited:
The last time I quantitatively measured my calorie intake was for health class during my sophomore year of high school. Back then, I was eating sufficient calories for my diet and since my eating patterns haven't changed too drastically over the past three or so years, I assume I still am now.

I've always tried to eat three meals a day, but if I skip one, it's usually breakfast. Lately, my stomach has been very upset after eating breakfast; not sure what's up with that.

If there's one thing I'd like to improve about my eating patterns it's my pickiness towards vegetables. Broccoli, cauliflower, and beans are especially big turn-offs for me. Even though I know they're good for me, they're foul taste turns me off. Sometimes I feel like a little kid for grimacing over my veggies.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I have no idea, really. I don't really look at the calories of what I eat, I just... eat it. I try and have a balanced diet and since I like to think of myself as quite a healthy person I must be guessing somewhere close to the recommended amount. :P

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I eat food I like, simple as that. I've tried the whole awareness and diet thing and no matter how well I do, at some point I just crack and it all ends up being for nothing.

Fig

The Altruist
I would like to believe that I do in fact reach the required amount of calories for someone of my size. Sometimes I ingest more, sometimes I don't eat as often. Thanks to my Fitness and Health class that I took last semester I do watch what I am eating and to some degree know how much a peculiar type of food has how many calories such as a normal slice of pizza has roughly 200-400 calories depending on the toppings. That said, I do try my hardest to burn those calories whenever I am exercising so that the calories doesn't just sit there on my stomach and because I didn't burn said calories it is stored as fat. Thus is why whenever I eat an abundance of unhealthy food such as chocolate, pizza, and sugar, I will spending a good portion of my time working out at the gym.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Slight change from my last post, these past 5 weeks I've upped my calories to 4000 since my metabolism is crazy fast; either that or I burn calories unbelievably quickly. But yeah, I eat a lot of calories now simply to bulk up and it's seemingly working as I gained 6lbs last month. It is hard though, eating is basically a chore.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I went on a few week calorie counting kick when I lived in my apartment in Chicago, and found I was eating only about 1600 calories a day without thinking about it. (That was last year)

Now, I'm not really sure how much I intake. I don't really worry about it until I notice I weigh more than what I find is ideal, or if I notice I'm feeling more lethargic than usual. Typically, I feel moderately full and energetic throughout the day, but I also don't gain weight, so I'm assuming I'm maintaining the proper calorie intake for me.

Magatha

Magatha
Probably not enough. Whenever I take my ADHD meds, I do not actually feel hunger, and forget to eat food a lot.
I mean, sometimes I forgot to eat breakfast and lunch and would have soccer practice without having eaten anything all day...

There's no way to know for certain. Reason being is my eating habits are all over the place. Between home, work, and class, there's a lot of walking and public transportation, which makes it difficult to make healthy eating choices. This basically means that I am always on the go, and I need quick, convenient, on-the-go food. As a result, I eat lots of junk fast food. The calories, or energy density, in that stuff is widely known to be quite high. Most of it is not very nutrient dense, either. So, if anything I may either surpass my daily caloric recommendation or fail to reach it depending on what or how much I've eaten on a given day; all of it is just empty calories, regardless.

Hmm, perhaps it is time I paid my old NutritionCalc Plus account a visit. I have free access to it for a year, and I have not used it since my BIO-Nutrition class...nearly a year ago. lol

I try to keep up a good competitive swim schedule, although I don't actually swim competitively anymore. My metabolism has decreased pretty rapidly since I stopped the pool workouts everyday, but I still do at least an hour every other day, so it's nothing too bad. I've been told that a good weight to maintain for someone my height is around 170lbs, so I try to increase/decrease calorie intake as needed. I weight myself pretty often too, since I just a little bit obsessed with not getting "fat", haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom